A few questions

IslandChild

Hi everyone. I'm glad I found this forum! I've been looking through the topics, but I'm confused about a few things.

1. It seems as if lye relaxers are better for your hair, but I have an extremely sensitive scalp. Should I stick to a no-lye formula? Is there a brand with lye that is gentler on sensitive scalps?

2. I have always had long hair (currently below bra strap, almost to the waist), but recently it seems to be thinning, especially at the ends. Never happened before, but I assumed it may just be because I'm getting older (alomost 34). From reading all the posts, I thinking it may be shedding or breaking, or maybe both. How can you tell, and what do I do about it? I was thinking about cutting it to shoudler-length and starting over, but I don't want to if I don't have to.

Thanks for your kelp!

Welcome IslandChild!
wave.gif

If you are accustomed to using a no-lye relaxer with no problems, then stick with it. For me personally, the switch from no-lye to lye was the best thing I could have done, but that's not the case for everyone.

As to your hair thinning, I don't think that your current age is a contributing factor. (Girl, you are still young!!) I really don't think you've reached an age that will effect your hair negatively yet.
smile.gif

The shedding could be caused by a number of other things. Try taking vitamins to see if that will make any difference at all. If you are shedding hair, you will see a tiny white bulb at one end of the hair. Breakage has no bulb on either end. That's hair that has snapped off at some weak point from the length of your hair. You can combat breakage with regular protein treatments.
smile.gif

Island Child...I experience the same issues as you. For a while, my hair was long AND thick. Then, it started thinning out. I found the only way to combat this without starting completely over is to get good trims every 2 months as you take better care of your hair. Eventually the hair will be thick again.

Wow! This board moves quickly! Thanks for the replies. Got another question - what's an ACV rinse? Several post referenced this as being beneficial. How do I do it, and how oftern?

welcome, islandchild!
hand.gif

i also made the switch from no-lye to lye. i had been using Dark & Lovely no-lye for many years because i was told no-lye was better for my sensitive scalp (i have psoriasis). i have read that it can be drying, but i never had a problem with it. i attribute that to the fact that i only relax my hair three times a year moreso than the relaxer itself. anyway, i wanted to be sure i was using the best relaxer. so i switched to Affirm lye last year after doing some investigating. the change has been fine for my scalp and hair.

if your ends are thinning, why not trim a few inches? is the thinning all the way up to shoulder length? if not, don't cut that much. i'm in favor of conservative trimming when trying to grow the hair...
smile.gif

Back