A FEW Q's and a VENT...

Kamilah

Hey Ladies,

Happy Friday! Ok, first of all, let me just start by saying that I have learned so much from this site about hair care, maintenance, etc. I have passed on so many tips to my mom, sister and a few friends who are really seeing the benefits. That said WHAT THE $#@* IS WRONG WITH MY HAIR THAT IT JUST WON'T GROW?!?! I MEAN DANG! I'm still trying, harder than ever it's just really aggravating. I've tried everything that gives "super slip"...my hair stays dry. I've tried balancing protein/moisture...still have breakage and shedding. And growth? Ha! Since WHEN? I've been on everything including MTG, Lenzi's request (for about 2-3 weeks only), sulfur 8, MN...you name it! My hair will not budge! Right now I'm sick as a dog because I think I had some bad eggs two days ago that have been putting me thru the ringer (but I needed the natural biotin/protein so I was doing atleast 3 eggs/day :ohwell:). I'm just REALLY REALLY mad and I feel like not only am I wasting my time but also my money. Lots of it. Maybe $15-$20 a week. It would be one thing if things would work more than once or twice on my hair, or if I was reaping the benefits, but I'm not. And I'm TICKED. The end. :look:

~~~~~~~~~WHEEW ~~~~~~~~~

Glad to get that off my chest. Now, my questions are:

a) Has anyone tried BIOinfusion Hydrating Conditioning Balm (Walgreens)? What were your results? How diid you use it?

b) What-if anything- do you mix w/Silicon Mix to enhance its moisturizing ability?

c) Should I deep condition before or after silicon mix? The last time I used it it made me dry.

d) I may run out and get some shikakai, if I do, should I do this before or after shampooing/dc'ing/silicon mixing?

e) I just got some NTM DDC should I use that as a pre-poo?

f) Does everyone leave Vatika oil in or wash it out? I'm pre-pooing w/it now but just want some other ideas.

g) I have some coconut milk and all I know is that I want it in my hair. What should I do? Pre-poo with EVOO from the kitchen?

Thanks ladies for all of your support! Happy Weekend!

Hi... sorry for your hair woes... we all go through them.

I think your problem may be one that I had... TOO MUCH! You're doing an awful lot of stuff. Maybe you should try to simplify your regimen. If you post it, I'm sure some of the other ladies will help you to fine tune it.

I agree you might be trying too much at once.

I've never used any of the products you mentioned so I don't have advice on them, but I have found that most products that give "super slip" are heavily laden with silicones, and while they make my hair feel slippery, they are not actually moisturizing.

Simpler is better, I think. Growth takes a while to actually "show", at least in my experience.

If I were you I'd clarify with a good clarifying shampoo (I really like Nexxus Aloe Rid) and then deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner (I would use Nexxus Phyto Organics Humectin, and mix in about a teaspoon of oil and a teaspoon of honey, warmed). After washing and deep conditioning, apply a little leave in and then let your hair be. It's growing as we speak.:)

I agree with baglady that you are doing entirely too much to your hair. Nothing is wrong with your hair...I'm sure its growing. If you are manipulating your hair I think that you should stop. Remember less is more. I was wondering how long were you on the various growth aides that you mentioned? Nothing will grow your hair overnight...Try sticking with one of your growth aides for atleast 2-3 months. If you don't have one I highly suggest that you get a fotki or some kind of photo album so that you will be able to see/ chart your progress.

BTW, if silicon mix dried your hair out I wouldn't recommend that you use it anymore. Remember what works for others doesn't always work for you. I suggest that you get some type of humectant conditioner.( i love Elasta QP DPR). I think that you may have too much protein. If your hair is dry and breaking...you need moisture,moisture, moisture. (When I can't get enough moisture I sleep with a plastic cap, hey it works:grin: ) or you can always try incorportating CW in your routine:ohwell: What does the coconut milk do?

I apply Vatika oil to my scalp every night and if it's a cold/windy day I'll put a little on my ends. I am now getting long dark sideburns (which I've never had) even as a child, my thin right timple has completely filled in (after about a month of use) and my growth has been very very good consdering it's the dead of winter. When I apply it to my length it makes my hair soft and shiny. I'm a big fan of Vatika oil.

Hello Lady - i co-sign with what the other ladies have stated. Ref the sillicon mix i use it as a deep conditioner - 20 mins with heat. You can add EVOO (just a lil) or honey to add more moisture. Try it like that before you give up on it completly. After all you made the investment. I only use it once a month. I go for moisture mostly with milk and honey DC or a wheat germ DC for the rest of the month. I recommend a clarify at least once a month. I am crzy about the ACV rinse after the poo and before the DC, creme rinse or leave in process. I love the sillicon mix leave in as well but again i use it once a month. Its a lot of cones to use super often for me. My staple is lasio lasio or salerm 21 as a leave in.
Moisture is what my head crys for in the winter- i got gall jug of distilled water and EVOO from the grocer, and a sm spray bottle from the bss, made a light mixture. You will be amazed at what a few suirts once a day does for you and its literally pennies. Dont forget to seal ur ends with oil. You are on the right path and you've got some great products. The long hairs on this board have taught me to think out of the box in terms of how and when i use things and the sequence. HTH:)

I also had problems with dry hair. My hair is very thick and very coarse. I have tried NTM products but they really didn't work for me. I use alot of product on my hair too since it is so thick. What is working for my right now is ORS products. The shampoo is good for clarifing and the deep condtioner really detangles and moisturizes. I use a leave-in like profectiv or just some distilled infusium 23. Then I use their olive oil hair lotion. On the days I dont wash I spray my hair with water and use the lotion. Then I put a scarf on. I think the scarf is what helps my hair to stay soft. Without it my hair will be dry again.
Also have u tried using your products longer than a week or so.... the ORS lotion didnt start working for me until I was consistent in applying it.
U also may get thickness before you start seeing the length. R u using protective styles? Using a widetooth comb majority of the time? Thats has helped me retain moisture and my ends.
Good luck on finding what works best for your hair.

Kamilah said:
Hey Ladies,

Happy Friday! Ok, first of all, let me just start by saying that I have learned so much from this site about hair care, maintenance, etc. I have passed on so many tips to my mom, sister and a few friends who are really seeing the benefits. That said WHAT THE $#@* IS WRONG WITH MY HAIR THAT IT JUST WON'T GROW?!?! I MEAN DANG! I'm still trying, harder than ever it's just really aggravating. I've tried everything that gives "super slip"...my hair stays dry. I've tried balancing protein/moisture...still have breakage and shedding. And growth? Ha! Since WHEN? I've been on everything including MTG, Lenzi's request (for about 2-3 weeks only), sulfur 8, MN...you name it! My hair will not budge! Right now I'm sick as a dog because I think I had some bad eggs two days ago that have been putting me thru the ringer (but I needed the natural biotin/protein so I was doing atleast 3 eggs/day :ohwell:). I'm just REALLY REALLY mad and I feel like not only am I wasting my time but also my money. Lots of it. Maybe $15-$20 a week. It would be one thing if things would work more than once or twice on my hair, or if I was reaping the benefits, but I'm not. And I'm TICKED. The end. :look:

~~~~~~~~~WHEEW ~~~~~~~~~

Glad to get that off my chest. Now, my questions are:

a) Has anyone tried BIOinfusion Hydrating Conditioning Balm (Walgreens)? What were your results? How diid you use it?

b) What-if anything- do you mix w/Silicon Mix to enhance its moisturizing ability?

c) Should I deep condition before or after silicon mix? The last time I used it it made me dry.

d) I may run out and get some shikakai, if I do, should I do this before or after shampooing/dc'ing/silicon mixing?

e) I just got some NTM DDC should I use that as a pre-poo?

f) Does everyone leave Vatika oil in or wash it out? I'm pre-pooing w/it now but just want some other ideas.

g) I have some coconut milk and all I know is that I want it in my hair. What should I do? Pre-poo with EVOO from the kitchen?

Thanks ladies for all of your support! Happy Weekend!

Your hair is probably growing, but as they say "a watched pot never boils"

Are you wearing a protective style? At this time of year, the weather can wreak havoc on our ends. Buns, braids, weaves, twists, etc...they may help curb breakage. Also, watch your heat, you know, blow dryers and flat irons are the enemy, especially during winter. Your hair is growing, but when the ends are snapping off in the sink, there goes the length you wish to hold on to. Hugs girl....I know I have been there, thank heavens for this board.

Back