A different kind of braid out

anon123

I did my own braids a couple of weeks ago. It was my first time and I was pretty proud of myself:

But just two weeks and 4 washes later (had to wash the salt water from the beach out), they looked terrible! They were slipping something awful and though I took pictures, I don't even want to show them. So I took the braids out.

My initial plan was to take a braid out, moisturize and comb it out, and then twist it up again. It took me forever to make those parts and I didn't want to lose them. But after just two rows I realized this was going to take me forever. The 2 rows, making at most 1/8 of my hair took at least 2 hours for me to do like that. So I realized that as I took the fake hair out of each braid, it left a crimp like a braid out. I decided to just leave the hair as it was after taking the braid out. I like it. :grin:

Definitely more stretched than usual. Consequently shinier though the only thing on my hair right now is the avocado oil I added to the braids after my last wash. The ends are fuzzy because it's really hard to take out the extension hair and keep the hair segment smooth. Also my ends feel like crap after just 2 weeks in these synthetic braids. I hope Kiya's salt thing fixes that. But anyway I'm happy because at least I can get another week of not combing out of these braids.

eta: i promise i stayed in yesterday except to go get some broccoli and so very few were subjected to my bare face. also, the few that were were greeted with a smile :look:

Last edited:
I did my own braids a couple of weeks ago. It was my first time and I was pretty proud of myself:

But just two weeks and 4 washes later (had to wash the salt water from the beach out), they looked terrible! They were slipping something awful and though I took pictures, I don't even want to show them. So I took the braids out.

My initial plan was to take a braid out, moisturize and comb it out, and then twist it up again. It took me forever to make those parts and I didn't want to lose them. But after just two rows I realized this was going to take me forever. The 2 rows, making at most 1/8 of my hair took at least 2 hours for me to do like that. So I realized that as I took the fake hair out of each braid, it left a crimp like a braid out. I decided to just leave the hair as it was after taking the braid out. I like it. :grin:

Definitely more stretched than usual. Consequently shinier though the only thing on my hair right now is the avocado oil I added to the braids after my last wash. The ends are fuzzy because it's really hard to take out the extension hair and keep the hair segment smooth. Also my ends feel like crap after just 2 weeks in these synthetic braids. I hope Kiya's salt thing fixes that. But anyway I'm happy because at least I can get another week of not combing out of these braids.

eta: i promise i stayed in yesterday except to go get some broccoli and so very few were subjected to my bare face. also, the few that were were greeted with a smile :look:

Beautiful mama!!!!:yep:

CUTE!!! How long did it take you to put the braids in?

girl, 700,000 years. also known as 2 days. aka 15 hours? combing and parting probably took 3/4 of the time, my hair was so matted. it was horrible. :cry2: And I'm extra mad because you know I took out the braids and combed out a bit and put in twists. That's those bottom two rows there. Why was my hair all extra nappy/tangly anyway, coming straight from a protective style?! This mess ain't no joke!

Both styles are cute...but I really love the braided style. But I know how long it takes to put those suckers in. Great 2 in 1 combo!

Hush up woman! Your bare face is beautiful! I love the braid out. I have a friend with hair like yours who gets the same sort of braid out with her own hair, but I can't see that happening with mine. Extension hair does make it easier to undo singles with fingers than if you tried to undo braids done with just your hair. Also I like how the hair feels after the extensions come out. You're right about the stretch. I keep wondering if this might be why my first experience with Curlformers (I did it on a single section that had just been in an extension braid) was da bomb because the hair had been stretch by extension braids. :scratchch

I am really excited that you are finding ways to wear your hair that are fun and that won't make you "sick of it, sick of it". :giggle: Your braids rocked, and so does your braid-out. I think these should become your staple dos. :yep:

Hush up woman! Your bare face is beautiful! I love the braid out. I have a friend with hair like yours who gets the same sort of braid out with her own hair, but I can't see that happening with mine. Extension hair does make it easier to undo singles with fingers than if you tried to undo braids done with just your hair. Also I like how the hair feels after the extensions come out. You're right about the stretch. I keep wondering if this might be why my first experience with Curlformers (I did it on a single section that had just been in an extension braid) was da bomb because the hair had been stretch by extension braids. :scratchch

I am really excited that you are finding ways to wear your hair that are fun and that won't make you "sick of it, sick of it". :giggle: Your braids rocked, and so does your braid-out. I think these should become your staple dos. :yep:

How does your hair look different from mine when you take out the extensions?

I would do this more often, but it took me 15 hours to put in and 7 hours to take out! Unless they can last for at least 6 weeks, + the 1 week of this braid out, I think I'd end up spending more time total. But I don't know, maybe if it could last at least 4 weeks plus the 1 it might be worth it.

Thanks, ladies!

Back