A day in the life of a flexirod set [pic heavy]

*KP*

The flexirod set is my favourite protective style. When I do this it lasts for a week and I don't comb my hair at all.

This set was at 8 weeks post relaxer (about 2 weeks ago)

Once I get this far post relaxer I tender to do flexirod sets to disguise the roots.

Routine
Washed with Mizani Thermasmooth Shampoo
(I usually do a 2 minute Aphogee reconstructor here but I skipped it this week)
DC'd with Keracare Humecto Creme Conditioner

Then I used:
Aussie Miracle Hair Insurance Leave in Conditioner
Mizani Thermastrength Style Serum
Keracare Essential Oils
and then flexi rod set.

I use about 20 flexirods in total. Short ones on the back and sides and the longer ones for the rest

The set looked like this - I don't use a comb...I part with my fingers, smooth out each section with a denman brush and then put the rod in. I never get the same results each time I do this. The one from the previous week came out better but I didn't get any pictures :(

IMG_5621Small608.jpg

You can see from the back that I don't part it with a comb. It looks a hot mess right here but it means that I don't have to get rid of the straight lines once I take the flexirods out.
IMG_5626Small.jpg

This time, I sat under the dryer for 20mins and then went to sleep with them in. I often completely air dry and just sleep with them or I might dry fully under the dryer, it takes 50 mins or so but the curls tend to be softer when I at least partially air dry. This is what it looked like in the morning when I carefully removed the flexirods
IMG_5630Small.jpg

...and from the side
IMG_5634Small.jpg

From this, I just finger comb and shake my hair a bit to get the look I want.

Day 1 - I wore it to work like this on the first day
IMG_5665Small.jpg

Bedtime
At night time, I finger comb into a loose pony tail at the top of my head so I don't sleep on and squash the curls. Then I tie my silk scarf on
IMG_5669Small.jpg

Day 2
After taking the loose ponytail down, I shake my head so the curls fall back into place then finger comb where necessary. I actually preferred the set on day 2 this time
IMG_5683Small.jpg

Day 3 - the curls started to fall at the front so I had to put a band at the front to hold it back. I used one of those plastic alice band type things but sometimes I use a silk scarf instead.
IMG_5705Small.jpg

Day 4 - by day 4 the curls just had a mind of their own so I used my denman brush to brush it back into a low ponytail, used some mango butter then put my silk scarf on while I got ready for work to it smooth down

IMG_5706Small.jpg

IMG_5711Small.jpg

Day 5&6 I did the same thing as day 4. When it is in a low ponytail like this, at night I just loosen the hair band and then tie the scarf on in this same position. I only do the high loose ponytail thing if I want to wear it down the next day.

I usually get about 4-5 days wear with my hair down but the curls started to fall by the end of Day 2 so I threw it into a ponytail.

The rest of the pictures are in my fotki album.

Last edited:
Wonderful results. I think I will try this right now. My hair got wet swimming last night so I have to condition and style it this morning.

I do this with braidouts. I am relaxed and people are starting to think that I am natural :lachen: Congrats on finding a signature style. It's wonderful, isn't it :-)

That is beautiful. I will definately be rocking a flexi-rod set when I reach APL or BSL (or beyond), that will look so damn fierce!!

Wow, I love it!!! Can anyone point me to a tutorial where I can learn how to use these rods?

I do this with braidouts. I am relaxed and people are starting to think that I am natural :lachen: Congrats on finding a signature style. It's wonderful, isn't it :-)
Yep, it really does :grin: I just couldn't get braidouts and bantu knots to work for me so I'm glad I found something.

.my flexi sets never come out like that **walks away angry**
:lachen: keep trying, it does get better/easier. What is in your siggy? It looks really nice.

Wow, I love it!!! Can anyone point me to a tutorial where I can learn how to use these rods?
I saw a few youtube videos and just got some and practised but I can't remember which ones specifically.

Here is one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnTf2jRkasU My method of rolling is very similar to this but I use fewer rods

Your curls came out great! This is a very pretty flexirod set! One day I'll get enough nerve to try one! :)

They set came out so nice! Thanks for those pictures, I have had not had any sucess with flexirods at all. If I decide to try again, I will use these pictures to refernce.

Very pretty! :) You inspired me to get my flexi's from the back of the closet. I haven't done this in quite awhile. Nice job!

I loved how you added pics for everyday!

Your hair held up well and the set was BEAUTIFUL!!!! Thanks :)

Very pretty!...I thought I was getting this PJ thing under control until I popped into this thread. MUST.NOT.PUT.FLEXIS.ON.LIST.....*runs out of thread*

Back