A buffet at your wedding could be a waste of money

Qualitee

Are you recently engaged and trying to figure out this whole wedding planning “thing?” It can be tricky. Especially when figuring out whether to do a buffet or a plated meal.

Living in the South, I find that buffets at weddings are super popular. Brides like the idea of giving their guests multiple meal choices and not having to track the number of guests having beef vs. the number of guests having chicken. And, of course, many brides prefer buffets as a way to save money. But are buffets REALLY money savers?

Not always. While there are always exceptions, buffets usually cost you more money. Why? Plated meals are pre-portioned. A caterer can figure out exactly how many pieces of chicken or beef to purchase for your event. It’s not that simple with a buffet. Also, many guests approach a wedding buffet as an “all you can eat” opportunity. As a result, people tend to take way more food than they would have if the meal were plated. In addition to these factors, there are some other things to consider with a buffet.

Many brides want a simple, elegant wedding. But it’s usually difficult to pull off an elegant event when guests are dressed to the nines and standing in a line to go through a buffet. Another thing to consider when you want to pull off an elegant wedding is that it’s not usually ideal to have guests standing in line. This usually can’t be avoided with a buffet. And, no, a double-sided buffet doesn’t help because it just creates TWO lines. And, again, you lose the elegant feel when you have someone dismissing tables one by one.

I also point out to brides that if they want to go with a truly upscale feel, their guests should be SERVED, not walking around with a plate in their hands or standing in line while waiting for a server to come back with another tray of mashed potatoes.

However, there are events where buffets are totally acceptable. I think they are great for laid-back rehearsal dinners, backyard events and even small weddings with a casual feel. But if you’re going all out at your wedding with the upscale ballroom, event lighting and expensive floral arrangements, you may want to skip the buffet.

Review the catering menus at facilities you’re considering. Look at the pricing of the buffet vs. a plated meal. Make sure you’re making the decision that’s best for your budget. Also, make sure that you’re making the selection that will give your reception the feel that you want.

I do not like buffets at weddings. I'd rather see stations, played dinner or passed horderves. The cost per person may be more so the author is correct.

I don't want a buffet at my wedding reception because I also think its tacky. Buffets should only be for happy hour but i'll rather waiters walk around with trays. I will have a candy and ice cream station at the end of the reception though.

A buffet at a wedding *does* seem tacky, but I like the variety and the fact that guests can choose what they want.

Hmmm. I'm torn.

A buffet at a wedding *does* seem tacky, but I like the variety and the fact that guests can choose what they want.

Hmmm. I'm torn.
I see what you mean.
After watching several episodes of 'Four weddings' I really like the potato station at weddings but it still buffet style.

I was thinking about having a buffet at my wedding. The main reason was because the cost per person was less and the guests get a much wider variety of food. I've always enjoyed the buffet style wedding only because of the many options.

What I hate about buffet weddings is having to do a balancing act with your plates and drinks while navigating a crowded room.

I don't think buffets are tacky at all. I just think they aren't appropriate for a very formal wedding. If the wedding is meant to be a little less traditional, than a buffet is great. And as mentioned, guests get to choose what they want and how much they want of it.

Last edited:
I was in a wedding years ago where they ran out of food. If you go the buffet route, make sure that there are people there to serve the food. If people are allowed to fix their own plates, you can't control how many pieces of food people are eating.

Meh, I don't care. Free food!

The last wedding I went to was buffet style. It was kind of weird to be lined up and shoveling food onto your plate, which everyone inevitably did, and then walk back to your seat. I try not to make judgments like "tacky" or "classy" but this seemed kind of out of place. It was a lovely wedding though.

All the weddings I've been to had buffet dinners. I love buffets, you get to try a variety of foods and take how much you want.

The reasons why I won't be having a buffet at my wedding is because of the concern of left over food and I like the look of having plated meals served.

I've never been to a wedding that didn't have a buffet. Only been to one wedding that had alcohol and it was a cash bar.

I've only seen buffets/stations during cocktail hour. Once it comes to the main hall, it's sit down dinner only.

Funny, I had never thought about it. I must have gotten used to seeing the buffet style. I think people who are on a really tight budget tend to go this way more often. Even if you don't cut down on the food, you do cut down on the wait staff you have to pay to serve the guests.

I'm ok with it because I'm not contributing money to anyone's bottom line to afford more. I'm not crazy about wedding food anyway, unless so church people cook it. I always eat before I go and after I leave.

Nope dont like them, but I'm traumatised, I went to a wedding once of 400 guests with one buffet station, it was an absolute shambles they called tables one by one, they had no servers so we all watched as the first few tables came back with food piled high on their plate, by the time they got to our table (one of the last to be called) the food was practically done, we had to sneak out mid wedding to go grab some food.

Nope dont like them, but I'm traumatised, I went to a wedding once of 400 guests with one buffet station, it was an absolute shambles they called tables one by one, they had no servers so we all watched as the first few tables came back with food piled high on their plate, by the time they got to our table (one of the last to be called) the food was practically done, we had to sneak out mid wedding to go grab some food.

omg! :lachen:

I'm just thrilled when I'm at a wedding and they actually have something I can eat. I think that it's perfectly fine if the wedding isn't very formal.

That happened to me at a wedding last year. I was pissed. Then the food had the nerve to be burgers (sliders: beef and salmon) and sweet potato fries. I was disgusted.

I wouldn't personally do a buffet at a wedding because it's almost impossible to make sure the food doesn't get cold or run out if you have over 100 people there. The last table up is going to get screwed. Food stations are a little better, but I prefer not to walk around in a nice dress, heels and balancing a plate while weaving through a crowd.

I like a nicely done buffet or food stations/tables at weddings. On Four Weddings on TLC, they sometimes ones that are really elegant.

What I hate about a plated dinner is there's only a few choices and what if you don't like any of them? I'd rather have a variety of foods that people can choose from.

i love buffets at weddings, so that I can choose what the heck I want, mix and match stuff and try different things. It also gives me a chance to get up and mingle. I don't think it's tacky.

i love buffets at weddings, so that I can choose what the heck I want, mix and match stuff and try different things. It also gives me a chance to get up and mingle. I don't think it's tacky.

Kurlee

That's a good point. At a sit down dinner you very rarely get to know people other than the ones you came with. It can be very clique-y I like the idea of being to mingle with new faces at a buffet.

Back