911 HENNA EMERGENCY! HELP!

MissYocairis

Ok so I've been using henna 4 about 4 mos with no problems.

Last wk, I 4got what I was doing and mixed the henna with water boiled in a stainless steel pot.

I've been shedding something awful ever since!

HELP!!!!!! Its excessive IMO. Have I ruined my hair?

Nothing else about your regimen has changed? Have you been doing your regular stuff (DC, protein treatments, clarifying)?

ETA: I use a stainless steel bowl and boiling water all the time.

sareca said:
Nothing else about your regimen has changed? Have you been doing your regular stuff (DC, protein treatments, clarifying)?

ETA: I use a stainless steel bowl and boiling water all the time.

One thing I had started doing week b4 last that I haven't done in ages is MN. I did start using that. Other than that, all is the same but I don't do heavy proteins. Glad 2 hear you have used steel pot with no problems.

But are you natural? I switched to lye about 4 mos ago. but I've been doing henna all that time.

I am used to some shedding cause I mainly airdry and do buns and no combing. but it just seems excessive.

The only other thing I can think of is that I used mehandi henna and I usually use Darshan.

I hear that you aren't supposed to put henna into stainless steel for any reason. It can cause a reaction if the henna that you are using isn't baq ( body art quality) I know that there's something on the henna for hair website about this. You should check it out, and be really careful on where you get your henna from. Anything that's not baq can react and some people have literally have their hair melted! You've got to be careful w/ this.

CantBeCopied said:
One thing I had started doing week b4 last that I haven't done in ages is MN. I did start using that. Other than that, all is the same but I don't do heavy proteins. Glad 2 hear you have used steel pot with no problems.

But are you natural? I switched to lye about 4 mos ago. but I've been doing henna all that time.

I am used to some shedding cause I mainly airdry and do buns and no combing. but it just seems excessive.

The only other thing I can think of is that I used mehandi henna and I usually use Darshan.

Maybe it is the MN. I got more shedding when I used that or anything that made my hair grow faster. I get less shedding when I don't put anything on my scalp.

I don't use a stainless steel pot, but my electric water boiler has a steel section in the bottom of it - I think it gets hot to boil the water. I use that to boil my water and never have problems.

ajargon02 said:
I hear that you aren't supposed to put henna into stainless steel for any reason. It can cause a reaction if the henna that you are using isn't baq ( body art quality) I know that there's something on the henna for hair website about this. You should check it out, and be really careful on where you get your henna from. Anything that's not baq can react and some people have literally have their hair melted! You've got to be careful w/ this.

It is definitely BAQ. Trust me, I have read All henna threads and I bought it from mehandi (henna for hair linked) site. I just effed up and 4got about that boiled water. I usually microwave it in a ceramic mug.

but Sareca has used the metal pot with no issues.

HoneyDew said:
Maybe it is the MN. I got more shedding when I used that or anything that made my hair grow faster. I get less shedding when I don't put anything on my scalp.

Could be. I wonder. That would b horrible! anyone else sheddong frm MN?

CantBeCopied said:

Yeah it's not the steel. They use stainless steel-tipped applicators to apply it as body art. Henna is also traditionally prepared in a silver bowl. Metal's ok.

I'm not natural.

Mehandi is good; Darshan I've never used.

Does you hair have any other symptoms (dry, hard, brittle)?

Last edited:
sareca said:
Yeah it's not the steel. They use stainless steel-tipped applicators to apply it as body art. Henna is also traditionally prepared in a silver bowl. Henna and metal are ok.

I'm not natural.

Mehandi is good; Darshan I've never used.

Does you hair have any other symptoms (dry, hard, brittle)?

my hair is pretty dry, but it always is on winter. But the shine is good and it isn't brittle. Maybe I need to start cowashing
again. what do you know about how henna and MN react 2 each other?

CantBeCopied said:
my hair is pretty dry, but it always is on winter. But the shine is good and it isn't brittle. Maybe I need to start cowashing

interesting . I stopped using MN before I started really getting into henna but I occasionally would put it on my scalp on days when I was unhappy about my hair for whatever reason.

I noticed a pattern. When I did not use MN, my hair was fine, when I did - even if it was just one time - my hair started TRIPPIN'.

I thought maybe it was because it was drying to my new growh or something. But then, I started using an MN product that was moisturizing and it still acted the same way.

I gave up on the MN!!! It does crank out some hair, but it was just to much trouble for me over time.

I cannot say if that is the problem now, but I think it would be good to put it off for a while to at least rule it out.

CantBeCopied said:

I used MN when I was braided (i.e., I wasn't using henna at the time) so I don't know if they react. I have read that continued use of MN can affect your hormonal cycles (read that somewhere here); hormones can affect hair. Some women use MN 1 week on and 1 week off. I wanna say VWVixxen does that...?

I'd probably stop using both, wait until it's back under control, then add back one or the other, then both.

HoneyDew said:
interesting .

I gave up on the MN!!! It does crank out some hair, but it was just to much trouble for me over time.

I stopped using it too. I think it kind of scared me how well it worked; like I was going to have to pay the piper later. :ohwell:

Last edited:
I THINK IT IS THE MN....NO I KNOW ITS THE MN

THIS IS FUNNY THAT U MENTIONED THIS PROBLEM. I WAS USING THE MN FOR ABOUT A MONTH. I MUST SAY IT DID SPURT THE NEW GROWTH (AND I DO MEAN SPURT.....1+ INCHES IN THE MONTH THAT I USED IT). HOWEVER I NOTICED THAT MY HAIR STARTED SHEDDING SOMETHING AWFUL. I FIRST THOUGHT IT WAS FROM THE RELAXER SO I DECIDED TO JUST MONITOR IT. WELL, I DECIDED TO STRETCH BUT THE NEW GROWTH WAS TOO MUCH TO STRETCH SO I DECIDED TO GET A GENTLER PERM. DUE TO MY WORRIES I WATCHED MY HAIR THE WEEK AFTER GETTING THE PERM. I ALSO DECIDED TO ALLOW MY SCALP TO HEAL FROM THE PERM TX BEFORE REAPPLYING THE MN. MY HAIR SEEM TO BE PERFECT AFTER THE PERM (NO EXESSIVE SHEDDING OR BREAKAGE). AND I WORE IT IN THE WRAP EVERYDAY. I WAS TRUELY ADMIRING THE HEALTH OF MY HAIR.

WELL AFTER ONE WEEK OF RESTING I STARTED BACK APPLYING THE MN. AND I TELL YOU NO LIE. THE VERY NEXT MORNING WHEN I COMBED MY WRAP OUT I HAD SO MUCH SHEDDING. AND STILL DO. AND BOY AM I PISSED. I HAVE NO DOUBT IN MY MIND THAT THE SHEDDING IS FROM THE MN. I DO NOT KNOW IF ITS THE MN OR IF ITS DUE TO ME MIXING THE MN WITH CAPSASIUM CREAM. BUT I AM NOT GOING TO TRY TO FIGURE IT OUT. ITS A RISK I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE RIGHT NOW. I AM TRUELY PISSED BECAUSE THE GROWTH WAS AWESOME BUT THE SHEDDING HAS TURNED ME OFF.

PEACHEY said:
I THINK IT IS THE MN....NO I KNOW ITS THE MN

WELL AFTER ONE WEEK OF RESTING I STARTED BACK APPLYING THE MN. AND I TELL YOU NO LIE. THE VERY NEXT MORNING WHEN I COMBED MY WRAP OUT I HAD SO MUCH SHEDDING. AND STILL DO. AND BOY AM I PISSED. I HAVE NO DOUBT IN MY MIND THAT THE SHEDDING IS FROM THE MN. I DO NOT KNOW IF ITS THE MN OR IF ITS DUE TO ME MIXING THE MN WITH CAPSASIUM CREAM. BUT I AM NOT GOING TO TRY TO FIGURE IT OUT. ITS A RISK I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE RIGHT NOW. I AM TRUELY PISSED BECAUSE THE GROWTH WAS AWESOME BUT THE SHEDDING HAS TURNED ME OFF.

I'm so glad we got to the bottom of this ladies!!!!!! :D This is why I lurve me some LHCF! I am quitting that MN! And, I'm also glad to see that other thread about the fact or fiction about shedding. I think my shedding is scary, but maybe not that bad. But, I can stand to reduce it a bit.

sareca said:
I stopped using it too. I think it kind of scared me how well it worked; like I was going to have to pay the piper later. :ohwell:

Girl YES! That is what I was starting to feel. I had to give that up and let my hair grow at its own rate. Honestly, my hair is growing just fine. There really was no need for me to use it - just being greedy. :)

I think this is what caused my shedding over the summer, i stopped using it and it took awhile to stop. At first I thought that it was my normal shedding faze, and didn't want to start a big commotion if it wasn't from it. this is gonna be interesting, maybe someone should do a poll to see how many pple started having bad shedding from using MN.
CantBeCopied said:
Could be. I wonder. That would b horrible! anyone else sheddong after starting MN?

Exactly, girl I'm so glad you reminded me of the Natures Blessings, it's good enough if I want to add something to the scalp ;)
HoneyDew said:
Girl YES! That is what I was starting to feel. I had to give that up and let my hair grow at its own rate. Honestly, my hair is growing just fine. There really was no need for me to use it - just being greedy. :)

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Exactly, girl I'm so glad you reminded me of the Natures Blessings, it's good enough if I want to add something to the scalp ;)

Exactly. I think the NB is better for your scalp anyway. I was so happy I found an ENTIRE bottle of hemp seed oil and a bottle of Emu oil under my sink yesterday (My PJ'ism) . I'd rather just use something like that.

Back