8 weeks post from phyto II relaxer and i conclude...

mommatide

1. hair is much thicker and stronger than mizani lye relaxed hair (love that)
2. does not get as tangled after washing (love that too)
3. a bit dryer to the touch, but does not look it (can get use to that)
4. does not shed nearly as much (really happy about that)
5. lot's of body and fullness

so, my conclusion is that i rather have a thicker, fuller, dryer feeling head of hair that i can add moisture to than a head full of soft, fine, breaking and constantly shedding hair.

after years of using lye relaxer, could it be that no-lye is a better bet for my 4b mane? i'm thinking yes

Maybe after years of using lye, the deal is that Phyto is better for your hair.

Have you tried the Phyto 7 or 9 to help with the dryness?

newflowers said:

no. i'm not sure if its the phyto relaxer or that it was no-lye that makes the difference...so, my next relaxer will be affirm fiberguard no-lye. after i see the result's, i will stick with one or the other

Well, I hope you post your comparison when the time comes; it will be interesting to see the differences between the two. I don't suffer dryness with Phyto, so, while I once considered Affirm with fibreguard, i never used it because I am so stuck on Phtyo.

It's always great to see a new Phyto convert. It's made a world of difference in my hair, even though I've always used no-lye. Adding the Porosity Control neutralizing step ended the post-relaxer dryness for me.;)

Lavendar said:
It's always great to see a new Phyto convert. It's made a world of difference in my hair, even though I've always used no-lye. Adding the Porosity Control neutralizing step ended the post-relaxer dryness for me.;)

I agree, porosity control is a must with phyto. I used pc after rinsing phyto too, and I was amazed that I didn't need to shampoo 10 times to neutralize.

Last edited:
newflowers said:

Just wanted to chime in and say that Phyto 9 has been the best moisturizer my hair has ever seen (or absorbed :lol: )!
And I am also a fellow Phyto relaxer user. :)

Kacie said:
I agree, porosity control is a must with phyto. I used pc after rinsing phyto too, and I was amazed that I need to shampoo 10 times to neutralize.

I am going to try the PC next time. Arcadian gave me the heds up on getting to the white suds: after rinsing the relaxer, pour a mixture of avc and water (10 parts water: 1 part avc) before the neutralizing step. She says that white suds are a couple of shampoos away with this added step.

newflowers said:
I am going to try the PC next time. Arcadian gave me the heds up on getting to the white suds: after rinsing the relaxer, pour a mixture of avc and water (10 parts water: 1 part avc) before the neutralizing step. She says that white suds are a couple of shampoos away with this added step.

YEP- that's the ticket!

Back