8 month Stretch, Getting ready for a relaxer

26INCHHAIR

Hey ladies I am getting a relaxer on monday and I just wanted to know how to prep for it??? I have been stretching for 8 months and I have a perm color now and 3 weeks ago i got a dominican blow out and a huge HAIR CUT :( so i am maybe 2 inches away from arm pit not really sure yet.......
Usually I do a roller set a few days before but my only dilemma is that I have to go out tonight and my hair is in a nasty ponytail so I need a little bit of advice.

Thanks

I cut and pasted form my fotki journal.

Redhotlala has her own detailed self-relaxing tips in her fotki.
Lauren450 and SouthernGirl do their's in halves - top half then bottom half.
LondonDiva has a tutorial with pics, and she does hers in 3 sections.
SistaSlick posted a great thread here on LHCF. She does hers in halves.

*****They all have gorgeous results.

Basically, the principle is to apply a generous amount of grease, oil, heavy conditioner, or Vaseline to the previously relaxed hair - prior to applying relaxer to the new growth. By doing so, this will prevent overlapping and over-processing. Over time, the hair will thicken up, which is exactly my goal: healthy, thick, bouncy, shiny hair.

1) Practice the relaxer application technique with conditioner a few times before the real day. Your hair will love you for both the treatments and the practicing. One week before, do a protein treatment, such as the Aphogee Two Minute Keratin Reconstructor. If you notice breakage, do the Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair instead. Do a strand test to figure out which protein treatment is best. On the last 3-5 days prior to relaxing, do not scratch, comb, or wash hair. Do not do anything to disturb your scalp.

2) Untangle hair w/shower comb. Mix relaxer.

***SIDE NOTE:

Some people add oil to the relaxer (such as, EVOO, alma oil, avocado oil, sweet almond oil, Aphogee Essential Fatty Acids Oil Concentrate). Since the cuticle is open during the chemical process, adding oil infuses it into the strands. The oil also helps slow down the chemical straightening process, and helps with those with sensitive scalps that burn easily (like myself). Be careful with the amount you add into the relaxer. Pay close attention to the relaxer consistency. If its runny or watery, this relaxer will most likely drip down and overlap on previously relaxed strands.

Some people add conditioners (and even leftover leave-in conditioners) to the relaxer mix as well, for the same benefits as adding in the oils. Others add pure protein and others also add silk amino acids (that can be bought in their pure form) to her relaxer. These extras add silkiness to the hair, and replace the protein and structure that was stripped during the relaxer process.

3) Part hair anywhere from 3 to 12 sections. Apply generous amount of Vaseline, conditioner, cholesterol, grease, or castor oil to the previously relaxed hair (avoid the new growth). Twist each section into a Bantu knot and secure w/butterfly clamps or large metal duckbill clips. Be sure to base the nape, and all around the hair line.

4) Undo one bantu knot at a time, and apply relaxer to the new growth w/an applicator brush. Try not to apply directly to your scalp. If you have thinner edges and nape, then do these areas last. Even if you do not, it is still a good idea because this area is more fragile than the rest.

5) Lightly smooth hair with fingers (NOT with a comb). Pinch w/your fingers, to avoid underprocessing. Smooth out approximately for a minute or two before rinsing it. The instructions on the box indicates how long relaxer should stay on different textures. As a general guideline, leave relaxer on hair for about 12-15 minutes TOTAL, to be safe. Keep your eye on the clock!

The 360 Degree Mirror helps you see behind your head - http://www.old-fashioned-values.com/...ree-mirror.htm

6) Wash hair w/Neutralizing Shampoo between 6-8 times, to ensure that relaxer is completely out…..Twice is NOT enough!!!!!

7) Shampoo w/your favorite shampoo that you normally use.

8) Condition w/a mixture of your favorite deep conditioner and oil. Sit under the dryer for about 20-45 minutes before rinsing out.

I am taking the step towards self-relaxing because most stylists apply relaxers to achieve "bone-straight" hair. This will break the bonds down to paper-thin hair that will eventually lead to damage. The goal should be to loosen the curl, while maintaining body.

I hope you find this helpful. GOOD LUCK!

Basically, the principle is to apply a generous amount of grease, oil, heavy conditioner, or Vaseline to the previously relaxed hair - prior to applying relaxer to the new growth. By doing so, this will prevent overlapping and over-processing. Over time, the hair will thicken up, which is exactly my goal: healthy, thick, bouncy, shiny hair.

Won't vaseline on the ends, make it hard for you to part? Maybe oil, but vaseline is hard to comb with in your hair.

1) Practice the relaxer application technique with conditioner a few times before the real day. Your hair will love you for both the treatments and the practicing. One week before, do a protein treatment, such as the Aphogee Two Minute Keratin Reconstructor. If you notice breakage, do the Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair instead. Do a strand test to figure out which protein treatment is best. On the last 3-5 days prior to relaxing, do not scratch, comb, or wash hair. Do not do anything to disturb your scalp.

***SIDE NOTE:

Some people add oil to the relaxer (such as, EVOO, alma oil, avocado oil, sweet almond oil, Aphogee Essential Fatty Acids Oil Concentrate). Since the cuticle is open during the chemical process, adding oil infuses it into the strands. The oil also helps slow down the chemical straightening process, and helps with those with sensitive scalps that burn easily (like myself). Be careful with the amount you add into the relaxer. Pay close attention to the relaxer consistency. If its runny or watery, this relaxer will most likely drip down and overlap on previously relaxed strands.

Some people add conditioners (and even leftover leave-in conditioners) to the relaxer mix as well, for the same benefits as adding in the oils. Others add pure protein and others also add silk amino acids (that can be bought in their pure form) to her relaxer. These extras add silkiness to the hair, and replace the protein and structure that was stripped during the relaxer process.

3) Part hair anywhere from 3 to 12 sections. Apply generous amount of Vaseline, conditioner, cholesterol, grease, or castor oil to the previously relaxed hair (avoid the new growth). Twist each section into a Bantu knot and secure w/butterfly clamps or large metal duckbill clips. Be sure to base the nape, and all around the hair line.

4) Undo one bantu knot at a time, and apply relaxer to the new growth w/an applicator brush. Try not to apply directly to your scalp. If you have thinner edges and nape, then do these areas last. Even if you do not, it is still a good idea because this area is more fragile than the rest.

5) Lightly smooth hair with fingers (NOT with a comb). Pinch w/your fingers, to avoid underprocessing. Smooth out approximately for a minute or two before rinsing it. The instructions on the box indicates how long relaxer should stay on different textures. As a general guideline, leave relaxer on hair for about 12-15 minutes TOTAL, to be safe. Keep your eye on the clock!

The 360 Degree Mirror helps you see behind your head - http://www.old-fashioned-values.com/...ree-mirror.htm

6) Wash hair w/Neutralizing Shampoo between 6-8 times, to ensure that relaxer is completely out…..Twice is NOT enough!!!!!

8) Condition w/a mixture of your favorite deep conditioner and oil. Sit under the dryer for about 20-45 minutes before rinsing out.

I am taking the step towards self-relaxing because most stylists apply relaxers to achieve "bone-straight" hair. This will break the bonds down to paper-thin hair that will eventually lead to damage. The goal should be to loosen the curl, while maintaining body.

Won't vaseline on your ends make it hard to part? I can see oil, but vaseline is soo thick

***SIDE NOTE:

:blowkiss: thanks SO SO much for you post!

Back