8-10 weeks?

Wishin4BSL

I was just wondering if anyone has had any good results when going 8-12 weeks. I think I'm finally going to give in and stop trying to go from every 6 weeks (that's all in the past!!!) to every 12 weeks because I always relax too early. I think that if I was at 6 weeks, I would have an easier time telling myself "only 2 more weeks," instead of "6 more weeks!:eek: " I want "slow and steady" to be my new motto, but I don't want to seem like a punk:( . Would it be okay to work my way up to 12 weeks and this time just do 8 or 9?

I think that's good. Don't defeat yourself by making goals that are too out of reach or unrealistic. Start slow and add a week as you go along! You will be a champion stretcher before you know it! :)

That is what I did. I went from 6 to 12 weeks, but I did it in phases. My first stretch was 8 weeks, which was really easy. Then I tried to go from 8 to 10, but I couldn't do it (didn't know how to handle that new growth yet) so I broke down and retouched at 9 weeks on my 2nd stretch. Then I did 10 weeks next, 11 and finally 12.

So, I was able to stretch up to 2 weeks more on my first attempt but only 1 week at a time thereafter. I think it helped me avoid the breakage and frustration that so many first time stretcher experience when attempting to go much longer than they're use to. Doing it in phases helped me slowing get use to my new growth and understand how to care for it a little bit at time rather than all at once.

I highly recommend stretching in phases, IMO, you'll be less frustrated and more readily able to manage your new growth . . .

HTH

slow and steady is the way to go. sometimes I can stretch 12 weeks sometimes I go 14. I think the best that any of us can do is to look at our hair and see how its holding up. If you're used to going 6 weeks, stretching by 2 more weeks may not hurt at all. But going up to 6 more weeks could!

Hair does act different when you stretch longer, and you also have to be more gentle with it too.

-A

I use to relax every 6 weeks, however as of feb this year, I have been able to stretch to 12-14, with no probleum, I find that the Luster's curl mositurizer does wonders for me, and with the temp reaching 102 with much humidity, a phony pony, a real pony, or being plain baldheaded is just fine,:lol: :lol:

That's how I got in to stretching. I used to get a relaxer every 4 weeks, then I added two weeks everytime until I got to 12 weeks.

I agree with others, who have suggested easing into it, slowly but surely. :) I used to be a 6-week relaxer..... and now I relax at 8-9 weeks, and that's perfect for me.

Wishin4BSL said:
I was just wondering if anyone has had any good results when going 8-12 weeks. I think I'm finally going to give in and stop trying to go from every 6 weeks (that's all in the past!!!) to every 12 weeks because I always relax too early. I think that if I was at 6 weeks, I would have an easier time telling myself "only 2 more weeks," instead of "6 more weeks!:eek: " I want "slow and steady" to be my new motto, but I don't want to seem like a punk:( . Would it be okay to work my way up to 12 weeks and this time just do 8 or 9?

Yes it will be okay to work your way up to twelve weeks...That is what I do...I first started doing 8 weeks, then 9 weeks now I am stretching for 10 weeks, until I get up to 12 weeks..

I agree with everyone else. Adding weeks on instead of just aiming for the 12 weeks will be better for your hair. I believe that going from 6 weeks to 12 weeks without letting your hair (and yourself) get used to it could put too much stress on your hair and could make you relax too early from the stress of having to deal with all the newgrowth. Adding two weeks is good for every stretching period. Just listen to what your hair is telling you.

Great advice in this thread, I have othing new to add! I used to be an every 5 week retoucher, then I increased to 6, then 8, 10 and this Friday I'm at 12 but I think I will go on and push for the 16 weeks. That's been my goal since January. We'll see, I think the largest part of my problem with stretching is my mental perception of NEEDING to retouch. My hair's not shedding or breaking so onward we march!

Thanks so much for the advice ladies! I think this time I'll go 8 weeks and if I can go longer, I will try. I probably won't. I can't wait until I'm a 10+ week stretcher like you ladies!:)

Back