6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

Thanks, Aggie. You're right about the coconut oil so I won't use that. I'm used to using the tea rinse all at the same time so no refridgeration needed. Shoot I don't have any essential oils so I need to get that.

You're welcomed Shay. I will be using the coconut oil for scritching my scalp with and adding it to my hair (without extensions) as a sealant. This oil smells so so good, I love it:lick:.

Ok ladies I just snapped a photo for my starting pic...I will so not be posting it. My hair is growing, is very soft, I thought it was healthy but after taking the picture my I can see that my hair is see thru thin on the left side! I'm so depressed becuase I thought I was making progress. I do wrap at nite using the cross wrap method but I do it with my fingers and lightly brush it in plus but only enough so it doesn't fall before I put my scarf on. I am 15 weeks post, I moisterize and seal daily..I'm so frustrated and feel like giving up...sorry for the rant:wallbash:

Awww Sweetie, don't give up. Simply even your hair up and start again from there. Try very low manipulation styles and don't wrap too often. I heard this causes some breakage as well. I wrap my hair now and then and I may keep the style for about a week only and change it.

Hey girls happy 4th, I really wanted to do something to my hair tonight, but I'm super full, lol I ate twice & I shouldn't have. I'm so lazy right now, I'll just oil my scalp/hair with some Gro Aut & Brahmi then just sit my greedy behind here and lurk till I go to bed. Sigh..... I don't even feel like typing.:lachen:

thanx! i checked out your recipe and I will be doing your steps on sunday! can't wait!:yep:

You're welcomed beauti. Please let us know how it turned out for you, okay? The fenugreek rinse is usually my base rinse for most of my other tea rinses because of the amazing slip (ie, the mucilage content of the fenugreek) I get from it. Love it!

Oiled with amla and shikaiki oil after my cowash. Is it just me or using amla and shikaiki oil stops hair breakage:rolleyes:.

HI,

I been on this site for a while think my first or second time posting, I am a lover of ayurveda products and I have a lot of stuff I got from variies places but alot of things I have not heard of until reading the never ending pages of Ayurverda threads on here, I wanted to know if we can do a list of the products and where to get them would be so nice I had 10 of my friends join this site and they where lost also as to where to get some of the products, if there is already a list please direct me to them.. Thank you and you ladies are Super Great I have been overwhelmed by the support I have notice on this board.

Thanks for the list Shay, but I did a search before and nearest Indian store 3hrs away, thats the only problem living in a rural area in Alabama, when I lived in San Diego no problem, I do buy somethings when I visit family members in Texas, so for me and others guess we have to order online...... I would like to get some oils w/o mineral oil in it, and the amla bar I keep reading about.... I get a lot of my stuff from FNWL,Kamdar,Indianstore,ebay

Thanks for the list Shay, but I did a search before and nearest Indian store 3hrs away, thats the only problem living in a rural area in Alabama, when I lived in San Diego no problem, I do buy somethings when I visit family members in Texas, so for me and others guess we have to order online...... I would like to get some oils w/o mineral oil in it, and the amla bar I keep reading about.... I get a lot of my stuff from FNWL,Kamdar,Indianstore,ebay

Amla Bar can be bought from here: http://www.mehandi.com/shop/shampoo/index.html

Shikakai Bar can be bought from amazon and more places, just google search Swastik Shikakai bar.

HTH!

Count me in!

Before I post my reggie, I have one question. When does the tea rinse come in? As a final rinse? Before the shampoo or after?

Count me in!

Before I post my reggie, I have one question. When does the tea rinse come in? As a final rinse? Before the shampoo or after?

Typically as a final rinse or in place of shampoo. Also used before shampoo and alone.

Typically as a final rinse or in place of shampoo. Also used before shampoo and alone.

Thanks!!

Here we go:
Wash nights
Pre-poo with ghee (might add essential oils)
Wash with Amla shampoo
Condition with Humectress and/or Yes to Carrots
Rinse with Alma and/or Hibiscus tea
Style

Non-wash nights
3-5x, will oil with Bhringhja(sp)

My reggie is not too complicated, which works for me. Let's see how it goes. It's been a minute since I've done the Ayurveda thing. I'm pretty sure my products have expired, but I'm using them anyway.

I am ordering my supplies now, but until I get them, I will be oiling my scalp nightly with Cockasta Shikaki Oil. It's going to take me a while to figure out my Ayurveda reggie, but its going to be fun trying to figure it out :)

Another question: if I normally do acv rinses as a final rinse, can I do a tea rinse followed by an acv rinse? I'd assume that the acv rinse would be last to help seal in the benefits of the tea rinse; please correct me if I'm wrong. This is definitely a first for me, and I have no utter clue what I'm doing. :lachen: My fenugreek moisture tea rinse/spritz does smell heavenly though! :yep::yep::lick:

Getting my relaxer on the 15. Will be oiling my scalp and hair until then with coconut oil and brahmi oil. And co-washing with hair one. Leave in Cantu shea butter, sealing with coconut oil and air drying.

Another question: if I normally do acv rinses as a final rinse, can I do a tea rinse followed by an acv rinse? I'd assume that the acv rinse would be last to help seal in the benefits of the tea rinse; please correct me if I'm wrong. This is definitely a first for me, and I have no utter clue what I'm doing. :lachen: My fenugreek moisture tea rinse/spritz does smell heavenly though! :yep::yep::lick:

Sounds fine. The ACV rinse will not hurt anything.

Thank you for your kindness, I have the shikakai bar, going to go look at the amla bar.....

Dcing right now with Aussie Deep, Aussie Moist, Brahmi, Bhringraj, Nettle & Horsetail. After I rinse I'll airdry & Seal With Shikakai,Gro Aut, & Castor oil.

Here is my starting pic. I'm using almost the same reggie as before:

Bhringraj oil, coconut oil, Mahabringraj oil
Amla, Bhringraj, Maka, Henna, Shikakai and hibiscus powder in a tea rinse
Coconut milk for conditioning along with Aphogee two minute for my protein alternately
Nettle tea final rinse
Aloe Vera gel & Rosewater spritz leave in
Organic cold pressed coconut oil for sealing (so much better than the basic oil)

Attachments

• hair pic June.jpg
    hair pic June.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 16
Checkin in: I did my entire regimen last night

Oiled hair/scalp with Vatika and scritched.

This time I did something different and my hair came out wonderful. I heated water in a coffee cup and then added a horsetail and nettle tea bag to it.

I added that tea to my mix of: Amla, Shikakai, Fenugreek, Maka, Brahmi, and Hibiscus.

Rinsed in the shower for a few mins and then poured my mix on hair. Left on with a plastic bag for about 30 to 40 mins. Hopped back in the shower and rinsed with my conditioners.

DC'd with my heating cap for 40 mins with Megatak, Keraphix, Back to Basics Honey Hydrating and Salon Care Honey Almond . After rinsing the DC I applied FSP, and then rinsed it out.

Applied leave ins, spritzed hair with my tea and sealed with EVCO and CO.

My hair is so soft and moisturized and the color is gorgeous from the Hibiscus. :lick:

Last edited:
HI,

I been on this site for a while think my first or second time posting, I am a lover of ayurveda products and I have a lot of stuff I got from variies places but alot of things I have not heard of until reading the never ending pages of Ayurverda threads on here, I wanted to know if we can do a list of the products and where to get them would be so nice I had 10 of my friends join this site and they where lost also as to where to get some of the products, if there is already a list please direct me to them.. Thank you and you ladies are Super Great I have been overwhelmed by the support I have notice on this board.

Besides the ones that Shay gave you, other sites are www.eastwestbazaar.com, www.theindianfoodstore.com, www.smallflower.com, and www.garrysun.com.

I went to the store to get two essential oils and ended up with more than I went for. In doing a little research I figured out I have 2 essential oils and 3 carrier oils. I got jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, rosemary oil, jasmine oil, and grapeseed oil. Well once a pj always a pj :)!

Checking in. I made a wonderful ayurvedic tea rinse today to spray over my extension braided hair.
It consisted of my fenugreek tea rinse (20oz) as a base (in my fotki) and I added that to a mixture of powders ie:

1 Tbs each of brahmi, kalpi tone, amla, shikakai powders.

I also added 3 Tbs of some old henna I have and don't have the heart to throw it away. It has lost it's ability to deposit as much color on my hair as I like so I am using it for conditioning and strengthening purposes only by adding it to my ayurvedic tea rinses. I let it steep for about 2 hours then strained it.

I then added a few drops of rosemary, peppermint, and lavender essential oils and put it in two spritzer bottles, then sprayed my pre-oiled, scritched scalp and hair with it. I am leaving it on and spraying my hair with it maybe 3 times a week or so.

My scritching oils consists of a mixture of brahmi, evco, and castor oils. It made my new growth hairs feel so so soft:lick:.

Last edited:
Count me in!

In addition to what MCrzyGr said, I also use mine as a leave in spritzer because I am wearing extension braids and have no desire to wash them every couple of days. Don't want them looking too scruffy too soon. I only wash them every 7-10 days.

Count me in!...I'll be using mixtures of brahmi, bhringraj, amla, neem, and shikakai powders (three at a time) once a week and every other week I will use the Shikakai bar...I'll pick up some oils tomorrow...gonna try to find alma and shikakai oils.

Just:
1. pre-pooed with amla oil for hours, detangled
2. tea rinse with fenugreek, hibiscus, and amla powders
3. co-washed
4. Leave-In, Seal and am air drying

By the way this is my most moisturizing tea rinse mixture. After doing this I really don't even feel like my hair needs a leave-in, but I do so just in case.

Last edited:
I'm in. I've been slowly adding and experimenting with the powders. My favorite mix for tea is aritha and bhringeraj, which leaves my hair so soft yet strong.

Clarifying
Apple Cider Vinegar (pre-shampoo) - once a month

Shampoo
Aritha and bhringeraj tea
or
Shikakai and bhringeraj tea

Conditioner
Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner

Protein and color
Karishma Henna (every two months)

I tried oiling my hair before a wash but my hair ended up too oily. I figure since I moisturize with shea butter everyday and seal with argan oil, that that would qualify as oiling.

Last edited:
Back