6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

I LOVE neem powder in my cassia mixtures. I use it each time I use cassia alone. It seems to make my strands plumper and stronger. I always do a moisture DC after though. Come to think of it, I have also mixed the neem with AOHSR and left in overnight. My hair came out amazing the next day (now I want to go back and do that again :yep:).

Thanks for your review of the neem powder. I only bought 1 box to try out so I'll see how I feel about it by the time I finish the entire box:yep:.

Last edited:
Yes, neem is a cleanser and disinfectant. It works wonders on skin issues like danderuff and on facial/body skin problems. (I like to use it in skin care mixes) In powder form, the smell is not there, but in oil form? Oh Lawd...no words, folks. No words. :nono:

Powder's a good option :yep:

I'll try the neem powder on my face because I have tiny zit on my left cheek from my monthly menses and I'll see how the powder works on that.

I'll be doing my ayurveda tea rinse of kalpi tone, shikakai, and brahmi powders mixed in a tea of rosemary, thyme and green tea leaves that I will be pouring over my hair as soon as it cools down enough.

I'm gonna DC with some Avalon Organics Biotin B-Complex Thickening Conditioner and maybe use some EMB as a leave-in conditioner today:yep:.

I have some of the herbal tea left over that I put in the fridge to cool and use as a final rinse to close my cuticles. I may add some ACV to it as well.

off to the store to buy spray bottles, i'm making my ayurvedic tea spritzes & rinses tonight!

i think my rinse mix will be:
1 cup of quadruple strength green tea
2 teaspoons of aritha powder
2 teaspoons of shikakai powder
2 teaspoons of amla powder

and my daily moisture spritz will be:
2 teaspoons of neem powder
2 teaspoons of rose powder
2 teaspoons of lemon powder
1 tablespoon of honey
i'm so excited!

I'll try the neem powder on my face because I have tiny zit on my left cheek from my monthly menses and I'll see how the powder works on that.

Dip a Q-Tip in tea tree oil and then in some Neem powder (then put it on the zit). Works like a charm! :yep:

off to the store to buy spray bottles, i'm making my ayurvedic tea spritzes & rinses tonight!

i think my rinse mix will be:
2 teaspoons of aritha powder
2 teaspoons of shikakai powder
2 teaspoons of amla powder

and my daily moisture spritz will be:
2 teaspoons of neem powder
2 teaspoons of rose powder
2 teaspoons of lemon powder
1 tablespoon of honey
i'm so excited!

I don't know about aritha & shikakai. The combination may be too much. Both of them can be very drying.

BTW ladies, when you do your tea rinses do you follow up w/ a moisturizer or moisturizing conditioner?
Yes, I cowash with a moisturizing condish. Then I continue with my regular routine of acv rinse, moisturize, and seal.

Well I have trimmed off 8 inches since I started the stretch and will be taking the whole head of straight relaxed hair off eventually and then start my texlaxing so there may not be much difference in length when I do the reveal:look:. I am hoping for more thickness than anything.

I understand, I was thinking more texture than length.:yep:

I did a full henna treatment last week with Jamila henna. I was in a time crunch. Normally I mix it up with hot water and let it sit for 3 to 4 hours before adding my other stuff to it, but this time I wrapped heatinig pads around the bowl and let it sit for an hour and a half before adding the EVCO, EVOO, and honey. Then I applied it to my head, let it sit for an hour with a heating cap, rinsed, cowashed, washed once with a moisturizing poo, and then did homeade steam treatment. I love the results. My color is so pretty and my hair is soft, shiny, strong, and thick.
CIMG0683.jpg

I normally do my weekly regimen, but have spread it out to every 2 weeks until the end of my stretch. I have a lot of new growth and I don't want to disturb it too much. I'm still spritizing my braids daily to every other day with my tea.

I did a full henna treatment last week with Jamila henna. I was in a time crunch. Normally I mix it up with hot water and let it sit for 3 to 4 hours before adding my other stuff to it, but this time I wrapped heatinig pads around the bowl and let it sit for an hour and a half before adding the EVCO, EVOO, and honey. Then I applied it to my head, let it sit for an hour with a heating cap, rinsed, cowashed, washed once with a moisturizing poo, and then did homeade steam treatment. I love the results. My color is so pretty and my hair is soft, shiny, strong, and thick.
CIMG0683.jpg

I normally do my weekly regimen, but have spread it out to every 2 weeks until the end of my stretch. I have a lot of new growth and I don't want to disturb it too much. I'm still spritizing my braids daily to every other day with my tea.

Very pretty...

Happy Hair Growing!

CIMG0683.jpg

Are you using henna for color or conditioning?

I'm still doing my co wash tea rinse of amla/shikaki,brahmi,fenugreek,maka,/conditioning with fenugreek,hibiscus,brahmi,amla. I'll be doing a henna today!

That's what we are here for.

I am so happy to see that Ayurnatural Beauty carries everything that I need now. No need to look elswhere.

Yeah Ekua is carrying a lot more stuff now. I have so much powders and oils right now that it would be a sin to buy anything else right now. I have to get through this tub of stuff before looking into getting anything else.

The only thing I might be needing is some indigo powder but I have enough left for about 5 more treatments so when I am down to my last treatment, I'll order some more then. I use henna and indigo every 3 weeks or so giving me enough time to have them shipped to me for my next hendigo session.

I may not purchase indigo from ANB.com because I can get them wholesale so much cheaper at mehndiskinart.com even with the shipping. I do however know that I will be ordering some karishma henna, most of my powders and Nupur henna from ANB.com. I get my Bhringraj and hibiscus powders from FNWL.com because the sift is really good there.

I love, love :love: the oils from www.garrysun.com more than anywhere else. Their bhingraj, brahmi and amla oils are off the chain AND they don't have any mineral oil in them. I tend to purchase them in the 16oz size bottle and they last me a very long time too. I need to look into some of their other oils and see if I'll like those as well, like neem. People say they neem smells awful but I still wanna try it so I may get that one in a small size to test it out first.

You know I wonder about this a lot. I have been doing it for coloring but I only need it for conditioning. I wear my hair pretty dark becasue of the indigo application and was wondering if the indigo would work just as good if I only allow the henna to relase for an hour or 2 AND if I left the henna on my hair for only an hour or 2. I may need to ask Khadija because I don't want to waste my indigo.

CIMG0683.jpg

Hmmm kellum, you didn't allow your henna to sit long and you still got a really good color going on here so maybe if I use the henna for conditioning instead of coloring, then my indigo should work too:scratchch.

You know I wonder about this a lot. I have been doing it for coloring but I only need it for conditioning. I wear my hair pretty dark becasue of the indigo application and was wondering if the indigo would work just as good if I only allow the henna to relase for an hour or 2 AND if I left the henna on my hair for only an hour or 2. I may need to ask Khadija because I don't want to waste my indigo.

I see alot of people using henna every two weeks and assume it for conditioning because you should not need to do that much for color. I just did my second henna ever and think I used too much but lucky you can freeze it.

I see alot of people using henna every two weeks and assume it for conditioning because you should not need to do that much for color. I just did my second henna ever and think I used too much but lucky you can freeze it.

I am one of those ladies ltown. I also do the treatments frequently for thickening my fine strands because henna accumulates and coats the hair, hence the added thickness.

I am one of those ladies ltown. I also do the treatments frequently for thickening my fine strands because henna accumulates and coats the hair, hence the added thickness.

Aggie I would love to see your beauty supply storage at home:grin:

When I would do my Henndigo I would only let my Henna mixture sit about 2 hours with out any problems. I would add Indigo to this mixture as someone would who wanted dark brown hair. This way when I went back with my Indigo my results were darker because I wasn't trying to cover red strands.

I do it mostly for conditioning and a little color. I have never let the dye fully release or let it stay on my head for too long. I've always been too scared of what my end result would be. My natural hair color brownish/reddish color and I didn't want to look like a fire cracker using henna. Doing it this way always gets me the color I want.

Hmmm kellum, you didn't allow your henna to sit long and you still got a really good color going on here so maybe if I use the henna for conditioning instead of coloring, then my indigo should work too:scratchch.

I would think that it work. I don't see why not. I think I may wrap heating pads around it for now on. I put one on the top, and another on the bottom of the bowl and let it sit for 1 1/2 hours, and I had the heating pads on the high setting. The bowl was really warm, so I'm pretty sure that helped a lot. I've never used indigo. I have never had black hair in my life.

When I would do my Henndigo I would only let my Henna mixture sit about 2 hours with out any problems. I would add Indigo to this mixture as someone would who wanted dark brown hair. This way when I went back with my Indigo my results were darker because I wasn't trying to cover red strands.

Good idea FL, this way I don't use up my indigo too quickly. I like it:yep:.

I would think that it work. I don't see why not. I think I may wrap heating pads around it for now on. I put one on the top, and another on the bottom of the bowl and let it sit for 1 1/2 hours, and I had the heating pads on the high setting. The bowl was really warm, so I'm pretty sure that helped a lot. I've never used indigo. I have never had black hair in my life.

I have only one heating pad I can use if I mix myhenna at night. I usually mix it in the morning and leave it outside in the sun for a few hours (I live in the Bahamas). Thanks for the idea.

Back