5 weeks since bc... Hair very Dry

itsmetwig

Hi All,

Its been 5 weeks since I cut off my hair.

I'm feeling good about my growth so far, but my hair is still very dry and hard.

Here's my regimen:

* co-wash 3x week with MoistureFuse by Mizani
* wash 1x week with clarifiying shampoo by Suave
* every other day apply pure shea butter

Should I make any changes?

how come you clarify so often? have you thought about clarifying less. also, perhaps your conditioner may not be moisturizing enough for you?

try deep conditioning with aussie moist for a few days. this stuff is a miracle in a bottle. when you poo do you just apply it on your scalp? or root to tip. i pre poo with evoo and coconut oil concentrating on my ends and through out my hair

I think clairfying every week might be too much. Try clarifying only once or twice a month. Use a moisturzing shampoo like CON or NTM.

You could also have scab hair, meaning the hair that is now growing out (after the relaxed hair is gone) can grow out coarse and dry.

Check if you have hard water. Maybe you need to moisturize daily or maybe its the shea butter.

Hopefully someone else can offer advice.

I know for me that once a week to use a poo is too much. In fact I don't really ever use poos any more. Maybe you are sensitive to cones? I know moisturefuse has a cone. My hair has the same problem when I BC'd and then once I eliminated cones from my regimen, my hair was nice and soft.

Also the weather is starting to make my hair and skin really dry, that may be contributing to your problem.

AND deep conditioning once a week really makes a difference.

try deep conditioning with aussie moist for a few days. this stuff is a miracle in a bottle. when you poo do you just apply it on your scalp? or root to tip. i pre poo with evoo and coconut oil concentrating on my ends and through out my hair

Ok, I'll get some aussie moist today...

I cut my hair completely bald and now I have about 1/4 of an inch, so yes I'm apply root to tip.

Ok, I'll get some aussie moist today...

I cut my hair completely bald and now I have about 1/4 of an inch, so yes I'm apply root to tip.
oh ok i think if you have 1/4 of hair you shouldn't really clarify yet unless you definitely know there is buildup:nono:. you are doing good so far. i would suggest getting a more moisturizing poo

I know for me that once a week to use a poo is too much. In fact I don't really ever use poos any more. Maybe you are sensitive to cones? I know moisturefuse has a cone. My hair has the same problem when I BC'd and then once I eliminated cones from my regimen, my hair was nice and soft.

Also the weather is starting to make my hair and skin really dry, that may be contributing to your problem.

AND deep conditioning once a week really makes a difference.

What are cones?

And I'll try dc'ing once a week. I have not dc'd my hair since the bc.

What are cones?

And I'll try dc'ing once a week. I have not dc'd my hair since the bc.

Cones are ingredients in hair products that block out moisture. It's good for keeping down frizz, but they can build up and can only be removed by harsh shampoos. The frequent use of shampoo keeps drying the hair out as well. Some people don't have a problem with cones, but I do.

DCing made a BIG difference in the feel of my hair. Do some searches for good DC's and try some out.

Co-signing with the other ladies

-less clarifying or try claryfiying using baking soda mixed with conditioner or water (search for more info)
-try a differet conditioner - any type of moisturizing V05 is a good cheap way to expirement. And they don't have cones. They work for lots of ladies including myself. I use the Freesia one
-consider eliminating cones (any word in the ingredients that has "cone" in it)
-more or different moisturizer - have you seen Cantu Shea Butter Leave In? Its a great product. I only don't use it anymore because I like mixing lots of different ingredients and this one is best used alone but it is a popular product.
-start dc'ing - I don't know of many without cones but I know some ladies use the AO (sold at Whole Foods I think) as a dc and it doesn;t have cones.

HTH---HHG!

Yeah - I would cutt out the clarifying...

A steam treatment should help as well... Many salons should let you come in for a shampoo and treatment only.

Congrats on the BC!

Shea butter may not penetrate your hair and moisturize it. At least it didn't for me. I can use it on my ends to seal with sometimes ,after I use S-curl to moisturize with. Just a thought..:ohwell:

Hi All,

Its been 5 weeks since I cut off my hair.

I'm feeling good about my growth so far, but my hair is still very dry and hard.

Here's my regimen:

* co-wash 3x week with MoistureFuse by Mizani
* wash 1x week with clarifiying shampoo by Suave
* every other day apply pure shea butter

Should I make any changes?

Hi! I agree, way too much clarifying. My hair used to be very dry and coarse...then I discovered Aloe Vera Gel and Castor oil. Both are inexpensive, readily available at any health food store and leaves your hair very soft. I have 4b hair and it's currently about 5"...I tend to use a "good amount" of aloe vera gel and I do this daily. I love, love, love it. :yep:

An overnight conditioner is also a good idea with a plastic cap. Recently, I've been using Mizani H2O Intense Night-Time Treatment. A little more expensive but I like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Mizani-H2O-Intense-Night-Time-Treatment/dp/B000NPVCHM

HTH

Last edited:
I think clairfying every week might be too much. Try clarifying only once or twice a month. Use a moisturzing shampoo like CON or NTM.

You could also have scab hair, meaning the hair that is now growing out (after the relaxed hair is gone) can grow out coarse and dry.

Check if you have hard water. Maybe you need to moisturize daily or maybe its the shea butter.

Hopefully someone else can offer advice.

I totally agree, when I did my BC my hair was very hard and dry until I realized that my ends were all scab hair...a good trim set me straight. But if that isn't what you're looking to do, try less clarifying and get a really moisturizing conditioner.

IMO I think you clarify too much and you need up up your moisture... My hair needs moisturizer added to it at least 2x a day!! Plus add a good moisturizing DC like NTM or Aussie Moist... HTH!!

Cones are ingredients in hair products that block out moisture. It's good for keeping down frizz, but they can build up and can only be removed by harsh shampoos. The frequent use of shampoo keeps drying the hair out as well. Some people don't have a problem with cones, but I do.

DCing made a BIG difference in the feel of my hair. Do some searches for good DC's and try some out.

ok, thanks. Yesterday, I picked up some Olive Oil Deep Conditioner.

Co-signing with the other ladies

-less clarifying or try claryfiying using baking soda mixed with conditioner or water (search for more info)
-try a differet conditioner - any type of moisturizing V05 is a good cheap way to expirement. And they don't have cones. They work for lots of ladies including myself. I use the Freesia one
-consider eliminating cones (any word in the ingredients that has "cone" in it)
-more or different moisturizer - have you seen Cantu Shea Butter Leave In? Its a great product. I only don't use it anymore because I like mixing lots of different ingredients and this one is best used alone but it is a popular product.
-start dc'ing - I don't know of many without cones but I know some ladies use the AO (sold at Whole Foods I think) as a dc and it doesn;t have cones.

HTH---HHG!

I while back my sister brought me some Pure Shea Butter and Cantu Shea Butter Leave In conditioner, but I haven't used them yet. I was trying to wait until my hair grows out. I'll dc with the Cantu this weekend. Thanks.

Hi! I agree, way too much clarifying. My hair used to be very dry and coarse...then I discovered Aloe Vera Gel and Castor oil. Both are inexpensive, readily available at any health food store and leaves your hair very soft. I have 4b hair and it's currently about 5"...I tend to use a "good amount" of aloe vera gel and I do this daily. I love, love, love it. :yep:

An overnight conditioner is also a good idea with a plastic cap. Recently, I've been using Mizani H2O Intense Night-Time Treatment. A little more expensive but I like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Mizani-H2O-Intense-Night-Time-Treatment/dp/B000NPVCHM

HTH

I tried the Mizani H2O Intense Night-Time Treatment the first time I cut my hair and it made my hair dry. I didn't like the texture of my hair when I used it, so I stopped using it. I'll try the Aloe Vera Gel...

For the past week, I've been cowashing only with VO5 conditioners. After I wash I've been applying the Cantu Shea Butter Leave In treatment and my hair feels Wonderful!

It feels like it has a totally different texture --- its almost curly. And its growing back so fast.

Thanks again for all the helpful tips...

I'm so glad things are working out for you! Please post some pics!

When I bc'd my hair had been hidden for over a year (weaves) and was coarse, dry and unruly. I didn't know what to do so I texlaxed. It solved my problem at the time but now I know that all I needed was moisture, moisture, and more moisture to make it be more manageable and curly.

Back