4b's, how often do you wash(wet) your hair?

Ladylynn

Ladies with 4b type hair I need your help. I wanna know if you have tried (or still do) wet or wash your hair more than once a week. If so, has your hair thrived from this or did it become drier from the frequent washing?

I condition wash around 3 times a week and shampoo once a week. My conditioner washes keep my hair moisturized and I don't have to use moisturizers on my dry hair as much anymore.

katie said:
I condition wash around 3 times a week and shampoo once a week. My conditioner washes keep my hair moisturized and I don't have to use moisturizers on my dry hair as much anymore.

ITA. I do the same thing. I am averaging about 2-3 CO washes per week and my hair is noticably better because of it. :)

Last summer while I was at BCT, I conditioner washed my hair almost everyday because I didn't have access to a good relaxer (I asked my mother to mail me one and she waited until graduation day and brought it to me :mad: !!) so I would have been looking like a hot mess. The almost daily condioner washes was the only way I could get my hair to lay down and smooth so I could bun it. I didn't really even need gel until the last couple of weeks.

Anyway, I feel that the condioner washes really helped my hair last summer. BCT is very stressful so I had quite a bit come out but what was left seemed to be pretty healthy considering the circumstances.

So, I'm going to start them back up again this week.

I am on the daily washing challenge and have been washing almost everyday for a couple of weeks. Last summer when I washed frequently my hair grew like crazy. I'm hoping for the same results!

baglady215 said:
I am on the daily washing challenge and have been washing almost everyday for a couple of weeks. Last summer when I washed frequently my hair grew like crazy. I'm hoping for the same results!

How have you been wearing your hair? What is the texture like?

I wear buns and phony pony's all day every day :lol: . I'm a 4a/b (more B than A) and daily washings help me to keep moisture in my hair.

I co-washed my hair every day when I was 6 weeks and less. I've stretched it out to 2-3 times a week because my new growth is getting out of hand [trying to get to 10 weeks]. But really, since it's very difficult to comb new growth, the co-washes help to smooth your hair back and help soften the new growth. I've benefitted greatly :).

I started doing CW's, I was doing them every other day, but going forward I will wash every 3 or 4 days (Wed-CW and Sat-Dom Salon). I will do a rollerset instead of air dry bun.

I wash 1x a week and CO Wash twice a week. Its working for me.....I CO wash more when I am >7 weeks post relaxer b/c I don't like to mess with it too much dry.

Ladylynn said:
Ladies with 4b type hair I need your help. I wanna know if you have tried (or still do) wet or wash your hair more than once a week. If so, has your hair thrived from this or did it become drier from the frequent washing?

I wash my hair 2-3 times a week and of course it has thrived from this, Im still one of the people that doesnt understand how water dries the hair, so I stick with what Im doing.

I wash only 2x week, my hair can't handle alot of manipulation-I have fine cottonie hair :perplexed so.... it does do better w/ 2x a week though !

I started daily conditioner washes.
It keeps my hair mosturized.

*uh oh! I just woke up and ain't washed my hair! Adios!*

2-3 times a week, I shampoo and deep condition once per week. I use to believe that we can only wash our hair once per week or it will dry out. Well, that is sooo not true, because my hair loves it's conditioned wash.

hottopic said:
I use to believe that we can only wash our hair once per week or it will dry out.

I was telling one of my co-workers that I wash my hair almost everyday. She said, "Girl, are you crazy? Don't you know hair grows in DIRT?" I just laughed...

I recently started co washing every three days . I feel the difference already ( I started a week and a half ago). My hair is thick (like it needs a perm) that mens growth. My stylist was like you probably reverted the hair I just ignored the comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then after she flat ironed it (looks like Dom. Blowout) she was like it looks longer!

TigerLily said:
LOLOL!!!! Like hair is a tree...and needs dirt to grow....:lol:

RIGHT! I even had to take off my phony bun and baggie to show her how much my hair had grown since she saw it last (I had kinky twists and then the baggie challenge).

I am 7 weeks post relaxer right now and there is a lot of new growth. I made it to ten weeks last time and this time will be a breeze. CON washes work for me. I have not seen any breakage or shedding since I started it. I do get lazy sometimes, but I always shampoo and deep con on the weekends, and con wash at least three times a week.
At the end of Feb. I was three inches fom shoulder in the back..... something is going right :)

TigerLily said:
I cannot wash my hair more than once a week. I tried frequent washes/CO washes and my hair was terribly dry

ITA! I sometimes wash twice a week, but anymore than that is not worth the hair loss from detangling wet hair.

sithembile said:
ITA! I sometimes wash twice a week, but anymore than that is not worth the hair loss from detangling wet hair.

I agree .... my hair loves conditioner washes but I lose so much hair
trying to detangle and comb through my wet hair that I often slack off on
some of my scheduled washes just hoping to save some of those strands

I wash my hair 2x a week and deep condition each time. As I write, I'm trying the Extra Virgin Olive Oil pre-treatment, because my hair can be extra dry. I've stretched my relaxer from 5 weeks to 7 weeks, so far. I'm at my 5th week right now and would normally be off to get a retouch this Saturday.

I've noticed that the ONLY detangling combo that works for me is if I use Mane N' Tail Shampoo and Extra Moisturizing Conditioner -- my hair is totally free of tangles, completely EFFORTLESS to comb, and very silky. I've decided to use ALL of my other conditioners (and believe me, since I've joined LHCF, I have plenty!! :D ) for deep conditioning and pre-shampoo treatments, and finish up with the MNT combo.

I also noticed that if I wrap my hair and let it air dry overnight in a scarf it's much smoother and straighter (but I have NOT mastered the wrapping technique the way my stylist does it) --- I've tried the airdry method with my hair combed back in just a scarf :eek: -- it turned out slightly frizzy/bushier and I needed more leave-ins to tame it.

Today, I am going to try and rollerset and use my hooded dryer. Also, I've decided to stop using my curling iron on a regular basis as direct heat is an ENEMY :mad: for all hair types, but a complete killer for 4b hair. Also, I discovered Caruso Steam Rollers -- I was surprised how soft and moisturized my hair felt afterwards.

~AT

baglady215 said:
WHAT SHAMPOO ARE YOU USING DAILY.

I lose soo much hair while detangling (no matter how gentle I am!), that it makes doing frequent co washes useless. I have to learn to moisturize other ways and stretch wash days to 1-2 weeks.

sjarman13 said:
I lose soo much hair while detangling (no matter how gentle I am!), that it makes doing frequent co washes useless. I have to learn to moisturize other ways and stretch wash days to 1-2 weeks.

Have you tried not combing your hair when you condition wash? I never comb mine during the week when I do my conditioner washes. And my hair isn't messy because of it. The stream of water from the shower head keeps my hair all going back neatly if that makes sense. Then when I leave the shower I add my leave-ins and put it in a pony. I don't touch a comb the whole time so I don't lose a single hair. I comb thoroughly once a week when I deep condition . As my relaxer starts growing out, I may comb twice a week.

I wash every other day to every three days...

I've learned to detangle before I wet my hair & then proceed as normal...

:D

Back