4b, Thick, & Apl&bsl. How Do You Successfully Wet Bun?

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
How? My bun stays dripping wet for hours. And I have never gotten that slicked down, wavy look. :bricks:. My hair just curls up and beads along the hairline. The rest is frizzy. I know my hair could make tight little waves with the right technique. Please post your wet bun technique with your leave ins and styling products utilized. TIA. :bouncy:

Eta: And by thick I mean dense. My hair is actually fine. And Eco Styler gel hasn't been working for me.

Last edited:
Eco styler and a scarf gave me waves for daysssss. I used the clear or olive oil ones

15AF179D-E169-48DF-A135-7D6EEBEC4A18_zpsnrrgpwqv.jpg

IMG_0709-2.jpg

IMG_1300-1.jpg

And for reference this is my unaltered texture
IMG_1324-1.jpg

d67b50bf-1.jpg

I found a YouTube tutorial earlier today.

Worked like a charm! I didn't do all these steps. I cowashed and used my hands to smooth my hair - not a brush. The key is to smooth the hair back in sections, twist up the ends, and scarf it down 30 mins. I even left the twists in my hair and pinned them to make a ‘cinnabun’ effect.

If I bun, my hair is damp, not wet. I will spritz water on it if it gets to dry. I use wetline xtreme gel from sally's. It's protein free and weighs my hair down. It doesn't flake either
Thanks. I have been eyeing that wetline gel and I am going to try it. How would you compare it to Eco styler? How is it better? TIA!

I used Eco styler (olive oil) for my weekly individual braids for the first this week.

I've been cheating myself of a great addition to my hair arsenal. What a gem!

I'm still unsure of how to use it. The amount, and if I should use other leave ins along with it, but I'll get the hang of it:

Last edited:
Can this be done without gel? I'm not a fan of gel and I haven't bought any for years. Ive Only edge control which sometimes works but doesn't last.

I have 4c hair so I'm wondering if this could work without gel?

Eta. From the yt videos I've seen everyone uses gel. I just have a thing about using gel on my hair. It reminds me of my relaxed days and always made my hair feel gunky.

Last edited:
Can this be done without gel? I'm not a fan of gel and I haven't bought any for years. Ive Only edge control which sometimes works but doesn't last.

Eta. From the yt videos I've seen everyone uses gel. I just have a thing about using gel on my hair. It reminds me of my relaxed days and always made my hair feel gunky.

You need something that can set your hair and hold in the moisture, keeping your definition and gel does this well. You can always dilute it to get less of that sticky feel. Setting with a silk/ satin scarf really does make sure you hair sets smooth and sleek.

I think you could use a heavy butter cream or curl pudding. It would just take some experimentation.

Thanks. I have been eyeing that wetline gel and I am going to try it. How would you compare it to Eco styler? How is it better? TIA!
The hold is imo the same. The difference is the wetline doesn't make my hair crunchy even when I use a lot.
On damp hair, I add my leave-in then seal with an oil. Don't use a butter. Then I add the gel. I also tie my hair down with a scarf till dry. Since my hair was damp to begin with, it doesn't take long to dry.

@Foxglove your hair is beautiful. Did you just use gel or do you use leave ins too? How long is your hair when stretched?

Thanks! I would use a creamy leave in after washing or cowashing, use one of those shower combs to comb it for the bun, then the gel, smooth it on with my hands, then use the boar bristle brush, then scarf it. Without the scarf there was little to no definition. The scarf forces it to dry with the waves. In the first pic I was pretty far into my transition and in the other pics I was shoulder length stretched

Back