4B- NEED HELP untangling- knots!!!!

Lebiya

Ok 4b’s, I’m just about brunt out …I really don’t want too but I think it may be time. I need to find a away loosen my hair texture, but I do not want to perm.

In all I think I pull out and break more hair trying to untangle my hair than I would If I find a way straighten my or loosen this unruly head!
While searching I found this:

http://www.bestkeratin.com/Conceito.aspx

While this sounds interesting I don’t like the part that says: "After product is applied, it is sealed with a hot iron which traps moisture"

…I don’t like the hot iron part. And I’m really not looking to use a chemical , I just want to find a way to loosen my curls just so I can untangle.

I'd rather find a natural way..is there one any at all? ACV, oil rinses do not work for me.

Has anyone tried this?

Or can you recommend anything else or a different method?

Please help!

Last edited:
How do you wear your hair? How are you trying to remove tangles? Dry hair? Wet hair? Any product? What's your regimen?

Hey there! From what I have read the Brazilian Keratin treatment contains formaldehyde and is harmful to your health. Honestly if you really want to go straight I would prefer to go the relaxer route. How are you styling your hair that you have so many knots? Are you always detangling while wet?

Hey there! From what I have read the Brazilian Keratin treatment contains formaldehyde and is harmful to your health. Honestly if you really want to go straight I would prefer to go the relaxer route. How are you styling your hair that you have so many knots? Are you always detangling while wet?

How do you wear your hair? How are you trying to remove tangles? Dry hair? Wet hair? Any product? What's your regimen?

They asked what I would ask and said what I would have said already

You may want to stop shampooing, many shampoos tangle your hair more.

(After you DC) Try a conditioner that is not too thick and just good enough to be able to comb through your hair with. Under the water, separate your hair with your hands into big chunks and clip them up and step away from the water. Spread conditioner through one section with your hands, starting at the ends. Grab either a Denman or wide tooth/shower comb and work your way up as you add conditioner in from roots to ends. Once that section is covered in conditioner and detangled, you can braid it and/or clip it up, and move on to the next sections. If a section is too hard to detangle, break it down into two with your hands and try again. When you've done all the sections, grab a cup and fill it with water and pour it on all the sections to rinse the conditioner out. You can use the shower head if you want, but I find that it makes the braids come out and tangles my hair again and takes out all the conditioner (I want to leave some in, so the cup works better).

Anyway, after you get out the shower, your hair should be detangled pretty well, and you can usually just undo each braid and add a leave-in or put the leave-in directly on the braids. You can take it down and it should stay detangled while you style it. If you want to detangle it even more you can use a finer comb on smaller sections within the initial sections you made, or use the denman again with a leave-in conditioner.

That is what I have to do sometimes when my hair decides it doesn't want to be worked with. I sucks to spend 30 minutes in the shower but it really does help when my hair decides it wants to wrap around and get a death grip on the comb :wallbash:

Thanks for the responses ladies

Ok, I’m in braids and will stay that way for 4 years back to back, removal every 4-6 weeks - my personal challenge- doing the crow and glory method.

My regime is this:

After removal of braids:
Clarify
Protein treatment
Deep conditioner
Trim ends

…braid the next day. I will also be adding the henna/indigo treatments as well to this regime shortly

But after the I finish deep conditioning - or when water touches it - my hair becomes a tangled mess..TANGLED MESS!!! And I am convinced I will take out more hair detangling than I would anyway else

...PLEASE GOD DONT LET ME PERM!!!! there must be another way !!!! : (

(After you DC) Try a conditioner that is not too thick and just good enough to be able to comb through your hair with. Under the water, separate your hair with your hands into big chunks and clip them up and step away from the water. Spread conditioner through one section with your hands, starting at the ends. Grab either a Denman or wide tooth/shower comb and work your way up as you add conditioner in from roots to ends. Once that section is covered in conditioner and detangled, you can braid it and/or clip it up, and move on to the next sections. If a section is too hard to detangle, break it down into two with your hands and try again. When you've done all the sections, grab a cup and fill it with water and pour it on all the sections to rinse the conditioner out. You can use the shower head if you want, but I find that it makes the braids come out and tangles my hair again and takes out all the conditioner (I want to leave some in, so the cup works better).

Anyway, after you get out the shower, your hair should be detangled pretty well, and you can usually just undo each braid and add a leave-in or put the leave-in directly on the braids. You can take it down and it should stay detangled while you style it. If you want to detangle it even more you can use a finer comb on smaller sections within the initial sections you made, or use the denman again with a leave-in conditioner.

That is what I have to do sometimes when my hair decides it doesn't want to be worked with. I sucks to spend 30 minutes in the shower but it really does help when my hair decides it wants to wrap around and get a death grip on the comb :wallbash:

^^^
Agreed
Thats pretty much my answer too...:look:
A great Detangler/Conditoner Shescentit Avocado Condtioner!
It Detangles/Soften hair Really good!!

this is actaully kind of what I do:

I detangle my hair in sections ..after i apply a leave-in. Yes it works but it takes too much time from alll the giant knots. I want to find a way eliminate the knots entirely or dramatically ...I want to find a way to loosen the curls if i can - i dont know

^^^
Agreed
Thats pretty much my answer too...:look:
A great Detangler/Conditoner Shescentit Avocado Condtioner!
It Detangles/Soften hair Really good!!

where can i get this detangler?

or the best one that ou know of for 4b type hair?

i think i may just go with a good detangler for 4 b type hair before i ever perm ...

ANYONE have any suggestions for a good detangler for 4b type hair?

I put amla oil on my hair the day before a shampoo, let it all soak in overnight with a plastic shower cap. In the morning My hair is soft and easier to manage while shampooing and it isnt tangled anymore. It doesnt require any extra time or anything either!

this is actaully kind of what I do:

I detangle my hair in sections ..after i apply a leave-in. Yes it works but it takes too much time from alll the giant knots. I want to find a way eliminate the knots entirely or dramatically ...I want to find a way to loosen the curls if i can - i dont know

A leave-in is not enough, I would suspect. You should be detangling your hair while it's DRENCHED in conditioner, esp. immeadiately after taking out braids.

The only way that I have found to avoid knots is to try to make sure that they don't happen, by regularly detangling. Obviously, if you are in braids, regular detangling isn't happening - and most of my knots are caused my shed hairs causing havoc.

What I would suggest that you do is that as soon as you take your braids down, before you do anything else, you drench your hair in conditioner, and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. Then, break the hair down into sections, and start fingercombing, first. That will pull out a lot of the sheds, and give you a chance to catch the bigger knots. Then, do the wide tooth comb, etc, etc.

If you are clarifying BEFORE you detangle - yeah, that's a really, really, really, really, really, bad idea. I would also DC before and after protein, but that's just me and my hair.

If your hair has been in braids, it SHOULD have been held relatively straight, so I'm wondering what is happening when you are taking the braids down to create the knots from the curls - my hair usually stays straight after coming out of braids until I get it wet.

Also, if you are going to start adding henna, I would drop the protein until you know how your hair reacts to henna.

There is really no way to totally avoid knots in super-curly hair - it's a side-effect of the shape, and something that you have to live with, unless you start straightening your hair.

The henna might loosen your hair a tiny bit, depending on how fine your strands are.

Good luck!

A leave-in is not enough, I would suspect. You should be detangling your hair while it's DRENCHED in conditioner, esp. immeadiately after taking out braids.

The only way that I have found to avoid knots is to try to make sure that they don't happen, by regularly detangling. Obviously, if you are in braids, regular detangling isn't happening - and most of my knots are caused my shed hairs causing havoc.

What I would suggest that you do is that as soon as you take your braids down, before you do anything else, you drench your hair in conditioner, and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. Then, break the hair down into sections, and start fingercombing, first. That will pull out a lot of the sheds, and give you a chance to catch the bigger knots. Then, do the wide tooth comb, etc, etc.

If you are clarifying BEFORE you detangle - yeah, that's a really, really, really, really, really, bad idea. I would also DC before and after protein, but that's just me and my hair.

If your hair has been in braids, it SHOULD have been held relatively straight, so I'm wondering what is happening when you are taking the braids down to create the knots from the curls - my hair usually stays straight after coming out of braids until I get it wet.

Also, if you are going to start adding henna, I would drop the protein until you know how your hair reacts to henna.

There is really no way to totally avoid knots in super-curly hair - it's a side-effect of the shape, and something that you have to live with, unless you start straightening your hair.

The henna might loosen your hair a tiny bit, depending on how fine your strands are.

Good luck!

A very good idea. When I had braids, I used to take them down with CON shampoo. After I removed each braid, I rubbed some on the hair to help soften up the tangles and the shed hairs came out a lot easier.

where can i get this detangler?

or the best one that ou know of for 4b type hair?

i think i may just go with a good detangler for 4 b type hair before i ever perm ...

ANYONE have any suggestions for a good detangler for 4b type hair?
I like these:

Deep conditioners:
ORS Replenishing
Redken Real Control Intense Renewal
Pantene Relaxed & Natural Deep Conditioning Mask

Instant conditioners:
Tresemme Anti-Breakage
CON Nourishing - May be hard to find. I have the old purple & white bottle, not sure what the new one is called or if it detangles well since CON made changes.

After I shampoo & DC I detangle under running water with conditioner in my hair.

Ok 4b’s, I’m just about brunt out …I really don’t want too but I think it may be time. I need to find a away loosen my hair texture, but I do not want to perm.

In all I think I pull out and break more hair trying to untangle my hair than I would If I find a way straighten my or loosen this unruly head!
While searching I found this:

http://www.bestkeratin.com/Conceito.aspx

While this sounds interesting I don’t like the part that says: "After product is applied, it is sealed with a hot iron which traps moisture"

…I don’t like the hot iron part. And I’m really not looking to use a chemical , I just want to find a way to loosen my curls just so I can untangle.

I'd rather find a natural way..is there one any at all? ACV, oil rinses do not work for me.

Has anyone tried this?

Or can you recommend anything else or a different method?

Please help!

I like to use 3 tablespoons of baking soda and 5 tabe spoons of conditioner and 1 oz of water, I leave it on my hair for 30 minutes under a plastic cap and my 4a hair is much easier to comb out after the treatment. I mean the comb just glides through my hair. I deep conditioner and detangle I rinse it out.

Good luck!

Good suggestions!

I think I’m going to try this. The only problem is when water touches my hair it seems like it tangle again, but I will try this.

The DC before/after I will also try, I think this along with a REALLY GOOD detangler should help out a lot

I like these:

Deep conditioners:
ORS Replenishing
Redken Real Control Intense Renewal
Pantene Relaxed & Natural Deep Conditioning Mask

Instant conditioners:
Tresemme Anti-Breakage
CON Nourishing - May be hard to find. I have the old purple & white bottle, not sure what the new one is called or if it detangles well since CON made changes.

After I shampoo & DC I detangle under running water with conditioner in my hair.

I'm going to look out for these...

Good suggestions ladies.

Yes, I guess detangling is the only way...before,, after, and in the middle..esp when after braids

What kind of braids are you wearing? Cornrows or box braids?

Good Detangling Spray...Mane and Tail Detangler. you cn buy this at the drugstore in the ethnic hair section. Sally's carries it too.

If you are wearing constant braids like this, you are probably experiencing the normal amount of shedding/breakage when you detangle and you probably should not be alarmed.

I have 2 suggestions.
1. Detangle each braid as you remove it then as you get a decent section of braids done, put the hair into a small scrunchie.
Avoid having all of your unbraided hair out at once. Section it and then Do your first clarifying treatment by adding 2 tablespoons of baking soda to about 5 oz of conditioner. let it sit on there for about 5 minutes. then rinse with baking soda bad water and Rinse very well with just water.

Your hair will feel nice & soft and it will be clarified.

2. Detangle each braid as you remove it Saturate your head with conditioner and then Detangle your hair while it is submerged under water in the bathtub. I usually lay on my back with my hair under the water. Only do half of your head at a time with the other half in a ponytail.

Then afterward, do a DC treatment.

I have also found that canned coconut milk from the grocery store is a great detangler.

What kind of braids are you wearing? Cornrows or box braids?

Good Detangling Spray...Mane and Tail Detangler. you cn buy this at the drugstore in the ethnic hair section. Sally's carries it too.

If you are wearing constant braids like this, you are probably experiencing the normal amount of shedding/breakage when you detangle and you probably should not be alarmed.

I have 2 suggestions.
1. Detangle each braid as you remove it then as you get a decent section of braids done, put the hair into a small scrunchie.
Avoid having all of your unbraided hair out at once. Section it and then Do your first clarifying treatment by adding 2 tablespoons of baking soda to about 5 oz of conditioner. let it sit on there for about 5 minutes. then rinse with baking soda bad water and Rinse very well with just water.

Your hair will feel nice & soft and it will be clarified.

2. Detangle each braid as you remove it Saturate your head with conditioner and then Detangle your hair while it is submerged under water in the bathtub. I usually lay on my back with my hair under the water. Only do half of your head at a time with the other half in a ponytail.

Then afterward, do a DC treatment.

I have also found that canned coconut milk from the grocery store is a great detangler.

*Lol*

I have cornrows at the back, then box braids at the top half.

See, the last time I took out my braid I had to spend 8 hours!!! And no I don’t get micros. So this time I cornrowed at the back, then box braids at the top half. So now I will have more time to spend on my hair. Suggestion 1 should work for me

Thanks for the responses ladies

Ok, I’m in braids and will stay that way for 4 years back to back, removal every 4-6 weeks - my personal challenge- doing the crow and glory method.

My regime is this:

After removal of braids:
Clarify
Protein treatment
Deep conditioner
Trim ends

…braid the next day. I will also be adding the henna/indigo treatments as well to this regime shortly

But after the I finish deep conditioning - or when water touches it - my hair becomes a tangled mess..TANGLED MESS!!! And I am convinced I will take out more hair detangling than I would anyway else

...PLEASE GOD DONT LET ME PERM!!!! there must be another way !!!! : (

I know this is old but do you comb out your hair before you wash after braids? Somebody probably already asked this question. I know I made the mistake of washing my hair right out of braids without first combing through my hair. See you hair has been shedding and that shedding, if not combed out and once water hits it will be tangle city NIGHTMARE!

Lighty comb through you hair as you are taking each braid down. Make sure you comb out that dust and dirt that accumulate at the base of the braid. Then you put conditioner on it and then wash from there. This has helped me tremendously.

Last edited:
Back