4B 911!!!!!!!!!!!

prettyblac

Ladies I'm 4b permed/transitioning! I want to wear a braid/twist/bantu out desperately but have found that my hair refuses to curl or shine. Can you ladies please give me some product suggestions for 4B that can help me achieve a shiny curly braid/twist/bantu out not oily just shiny. Also, if you have any tips on these style techniques please chime in! I wonder what they use at curve for shine? Thank you Ladies!

I used to do twistouts on a friends hair as well as my own when natural and having months of new growth. We'd shampoo, condtion, and then use a light or medium hold gel (suave for me, I don't remember if we used that on her) mixed with conditioner and twist up. We'd separate and fluff out the twists after it was dry. HTH

Please try adding shea butter to the sections before you twist...it makes the twist incredibly soft and gives great shine...

I wore that style through my transition...and now that I am natural...I have step by step instructions on how I did it...One step you may need to do is two-strand twist the section...THEN keep twisting the twist until it turns on itself to make the bantu knot...then you are actually "curling" the hair twice...once with twist...then again with the knot...

Also...the smaller the section...the curlier the hair will be...you may need to start out with alot of twist...especially if you have long hair...

If that still does not work...then you may have to just do a two strand twist...and put the ends of your hair that are still permed...on small rollers...this will give the same look...and the permed ends will look curled instead of straight and crinkly...

HTH

Do you use Hot 6 Oil? This always add a bit of sparkle to the part of my hair that is dyed a light brown/orangyish color. This part of my hair is the most difficult in getting to shine.

Thank you ladies for your help!
rosebud.gif

Would an apple cider vinear rinse help in this situation? I just did one (but I wore my hair straight) and OH SUCH SHINE!!

You might also try a light serum with oil. I like John Frieda's Relaxed Serum and I use Kemi Oyl to achieve shine.

Being a 4b/c I know about dry looking not shiny hair. Some things that have helped me.

Hot oil treatments
Conditioning with natural things like honey (honey is one of the best things in the world for shine).
Extra Virgin Olive oil on wet hair allows it to dry with a nice healthy sheen.
As far as actual products go:
Mizani Moisturfuse
Mizani Fulfyl (combo protein and moisturizing conditioner)
Elucence extended moisture repair treatment (deep protein treatment should be done before or after relaxing for strengthening purposes- but also gives your hair a really glossy shine).
Elucence Moisture Balancing conditioner as a Leave-In- This stuff is awesome for moisturizing with out being oily and because it is derived from olive oil it gives a wonderful glossy shine as well.

If your hair is anything like mine, It won't respond well to most leave ins when put on dry hair. I generally only apply leave ins on wet hair and do a set that will last all week or until the next time I shampoo.
Twist outs are wonderful for this.

I've got tons of tricks for dealing with frustratingingly fragile 4b hair. So, PM me if you want.

[ QUOTE ]
prettyblac said:
Ladies I'm 4b permed/transitioning! I want to wear a braid/twist/bantu out desperately but have found that my hair refuses to curl or shine. Can you ladies please give me some product suggestions for 4B that can help me achieve a shiny curly braid/twist/bantu out not oily just shiny. Also, if you have any tips on these style techniques please chime in! I wonder what they use at curve for shine? Thank you Ladies!

[/ QUOTE ]

Twist-outs give my hair a curly look. Try using tiny perm rods on the ends of your twists before you take them apart.

My hair does not really shine on it's own with out some sort of product. I use a little Mimosa Hair honey to create shine. Your hair may not be naturally shiny and there is nothing wrong with that.

Good Luck!

I usually just bought whatever alcohol free gel that was cheap. I don't remember mixing the gel with conditioner though.... I'll have to try it....

Back