4aish ladies with curls and coarse hair who flat iron

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I am having a time with my ends. I alternate between wash and go's one week and flatironing the next. When I flat iron, my ends are extremely rough, course, I don't know. I can't run my fingers through my hair from root to tip after straightening because the ends are such a mess. I trim a little at a time but I continue to deal with this.

Anyone else going through this? Should I up my conditioning? I don't deep condition as I should and I assume this is the problem. Right? Any suggestions besides cutting my hair period? I was thinking that the wash and go's are drying my hair out since I use gel ontop of the leave in. I don't know what to do...

eta: I wanted to mention that the reason i specified those with coily hair is because it seems that where the ends are most curly is where the hair is the most dry when flat ironing

Last edited:
If your gel contains alcohol, I'd stop using it. There are other gels you can use (aloe vera, vitamin e, fantasia IC [I think]) that do not contain any alcohol. My ends are usually a little dry when I flat-iron as well. I don't think it's because they are unhealthy or split but that I need to use a better product to flat-iron with. Next time, I'm going to try biosilk and using a comb in front of the flat-iron to straighten my ends out more.

Also, Chicoro has a really good method for treating the ends. I've started using a modified version of her method and my ends are softer. When I'm doing a protective style where my ends are covered, I apply a moisturizer then seal it with vaseline. That sounds bad because of the petrolatum but it's working for me.

*Bre~Bre* said:
I am having a time with my ends. I alternate between wash and go's one week and flatironing the next. When I flat iron, my ends are extremely rough, course, I don't know. I can't run my fingers through my hair from root to tip after straightening because the ends are such a mess. I trim a little at a time but I continue to deal with this.

Anyone else going through this? Should I up my conditioning? I don't deep condition as I should and I assume this is the problem. Right? Any suggestions besides cutting my hair period? I was thinking that the wash and go's are drying my hair out since I use gel ontop of the leave in. I don't know what to do...

eta: I wanted to mention that the reason i specified those with coily hair is because it seems that where the ends are most curly is where the hair is the most dry when flat ironing
What type of flat iron are you using? Also, were you using a heat protectant?

If you are having these problems, then maybe you should lay off the flat iron for awhile (I'd also lay off that gel). Try Garnier Smoothing Milk on your ends and see if that helps.

And yes, you should deep condition. You should always do this and make sure to keep your ends moisturized afterwards.

keluric said:
If your gel contains alcohol, I'd stop using it. There are other gels you can use (aloe vera, vitamin e, fantasia IC [I think]) that do not contain any alcohol. My ends are usually a little dry when I flat-iron as well. I don't think it's because they are unhealthy or split but that I need to use a better product to flat-iron with. Next time, I'm going to try biosilk and using a comb in front of the flat-iron to straighten my ends out more.

Biosilk also contains alcohol. Chi Silk Infusion doesn't and is made by the same company as Biosilk (Farouk). :D

navsegda said:
Biosilk also contains alcohol. Chi Silk Infusion doesn't and is made by the same company as Biosilk (Farouk). :D

Do u like the CHI Silk Infusion? I just purchased some and plan on using it when I take my braids out.

*Bre~Bre* said:

If you aren't deep conditioning enough then adding deep conditioning treatments helps if moisture is the problem. Gels with alcohol will dry your hair out. You can try adding Neutrogena Triple Moisture Healing Shine
Serum to the ends of your hair while damp before drying and flat ironing

If you add the serum to your routine you will need to clarify regularly and up the deep conditioning treatments and moisturize your ends often with a creamy butter or moisturizer then seal them with oil

MissFallon said:
Do u like the CHI Silk Infusion? I just purchased some and plan on using it when I take my braids out.

Girl, I love this stuff! :love: I even use it on days I'm not flat ironing. :D

navsegda said:

Darn.. adding that to my shopping list.. I think it's on sale at Ulta after Christmas too:grin:

I had this problem the first time I tried to straighten my hair. It may not be that your hair is damaged, or even that it's the products you use, but that you need to improve your straightening technique. Because the ends are curlier they tend to be harder to straighten. It really isn't more heat that is needed (which may worsen the dry feeling), but hair that is smoothed out as much as possible before the heat is applied. Try passing a fine toothed comb through just the ends right before you iron them (I think this is the reason Maxiglide works so well for people).

navsegda said:
What type of flat iron are you using? Also, were you using a heat protectant?

If you are having these problems, then maybe you should lay off the flat iron for awhile (I'd also lay off that gel). Try Garnier Smoothing Milk on your ends and see if that helps.

And yes, you should deep condition. You should always do this and make sure to keep your ends moisturized afterwards.

I use a sedu. I didn't use a heat protectant this time but when I do I use Redken. It doesn't seem to help either way. Garnier smoothing Milk I've never heard of. Will do a search and see if I can pick some up.

BlackCardinal said:
I had this problem the first time I tried to straighten my hair. It may not be that your hair is damaged, or even that it's the products you use, but that you need to improve your straightening technique. Because the ends are curlier they tend to be harder to straighten. It really isn't more heat that is needed (which may worsen the dry feeling), but hair that is smoothed out as much as possible before the heat is applied. Try passing a fine toothed comb through just the ends right before you iron them (I think this is the reason Maxiglide works so well for people).

Thanks! Will try this next time.

scorpian said:
If you aren't deep conditioning enough then adding deep conditioning treatments helps if moisture is the problem. Gels with alcohol will dry your hair out. You can try adding Neutrogena Triple Moisture Healing Shine
Serum to the ends of your hair while damp before drying and flat ironing

If you add the serum to your routine you will need to clarify regularly and up the deep conditioning treatments and moisturize your ends often with a creamy butter or moisturizer then seal them with oil

I agree with scorpian and bre-bre please up the deep conditioning...It will do wonders for your hair:p

Although I haven't used a flat iron, I agree with the ladies here, especially about not using the gel. Why not lay off the heat, at least for a while.

Also, cutting your ends is not the solution, as I'm sure you know by now. Your ends just need babying, moisturizing and conditioning.

*Bre~Bre* said:
I use a sedu. I didn't use a heat protectant this time but when I do I use Redken. It doesn't seem to help either way. Garnier smoothing Milk I've never heard of. Will do a search and see if I can pick some up.

Yeah, make sure you use a heat protectant every time. The Redken may not change the look of your ends, but it will surely protect your hair from heat damage.

You can find the Smoothing Milk and the Anti-Frizz Serum at Walmart, Target, etc. etc. Last time I checked, Kroger had Garnier on sale 2/$5.00

navsegda said:
Yeah, make sure you use a heat protectant every time. The Redken may not change the look of your ends, but it will surely protect your hair from heat damage.

You can find the Smoothing Milk and the Anti-Frizz Serum at Walmart, Target, etc. etc. Last time I checked, Kroger had Garnier on sale 2/$5.00

Thank you Navsegda! I will look for it this weekend. By the way I love your hair. Can't beleive you haven't trimmed in over 2 years. I think thats awesome :)

Back