4a Natural cries out: RESCUE MY ENDS!

PaperClip

I'm 2 years plus into my chemical free hair and I JUST figured out that I need help getting my ends together and wondering why my hair hasn't gotten more length.

I got a major trim in September and I throught I'd have more progress by now. I have some stress going on and that may be part of it.

I know I can take better care of my ends.

Please help me come up with a strategy to do this.

Currently I'm wearing half-wigs with my hair braided underneath. I cowash once a week in between shampoo/deep conditioning. My hair is a dense 4a/b with fine, thin strands.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Castor oil on wet/damp hair works for me. I wear wigs often as well and I usually rinse my hair every day or every other day (it stays in braids under the wig). Once it's damp I put castor oil all over, and A LOT on the ends. It helps my ends stay moisturized so they don't break off from drying out.

Hope this helps.

Yes! Castor oil on wet/damp hair to seal in your leave-in or moisturizer. It has worked wonders for my hair. :yep:

I'll have to echo the other ladies: Good leave-in conditioner and a good, thick oil to seal the ends (I personally use coconut, but castor oil is good too).

leave that heat alone. when was the last time you straightened it?

what your are doing right now sounds good nd try the castor oil on the hair and ends. everything will be alright soon!

I would co-wash more often; do an oil rinse after washing, then rinse out and condition. If you use castor oil this way, mix it with a lighter oil. In between washes, Lightly spritz your ends and butter them, or put a little castor oil on them. I like lotiony products on dry hair, like Claudies Satin Moisturizing lotion, Afro Detangle, Qhemet Burdock Root Butter cream.

I echo the other posters--my ends need lots of attention with moisture and sealant. I also need to detangle and deep condition at least once a week (I also happen to shampoo my hair then too) or my ends get knotted, tangled, ratty, and dry.

I can see that most of the posts reflect the advice I would give you, OP.

Use castor oil to seal the ends. It is fab for my natural hair... better than any other oil I have tried for my ends.

I was going to ask if you oil your ends as well.....

Thanks, everyone for your responses....

to your question: Nope, have not oiled my ends. I got scared of oils when I would use them all over my hair/head. They (any kind: olive, castor, etc.) would seem to just sit on top of my hair and not absorb. From what you all are saying is that I should put the oil only on my ends?

leave that heat alone. when was the last time you straightened it?

what your are doing right now sounds good nd try the castor oil on the hair and ends. everything will be alright soon!

Thank you for the encouragement....

That press in my avatar was from the summer, I believe. I can count on one hand how often I've gotten my hair blown out/straightened. I don't do it often.

to your question: Nope, have not oiled my ends. I got scared of oils when I would use them all over my hair/head. They (any kind: olive, castor, etc.) would seem to just sit on top of my hair and not absorb. From what you all are saying is that I should put the oil only on my ends?

That used to happen to me, too, Foxy. It's because there is not enough moisture on the hair for the oil to absorb. Moisture first, then oil and your hair will soak it right in! Let me know if that works for you!

That used to happen to me, too, Foxy. It's because there is not enough moisture on the hair for the oil to absorb. Moisture first, then oil and your hair will soak it right in! Let me know if that works for you!

Thanks, VV.... I've tried the oils on wet and dry hair.... it just feels like an oil slick.... Maybe I'm using too much? I'll give it another go
icon7.gif

what about coconut. It absorbs so much better than castor and some of the others?

I use a lot, but I do that with everything. Try less and see what happens. And coconut oil may be better for you, castor is pretty thick.

If all else fails, you could try that Hawaiian Silky 14n1. It's been getting good reviews as a moisturizer. I haven't tried it though.

what about coconut. It absorbs so much better than castor and some of the others?

I use a lot, but I do that with everything. Try less and see what happens. And coconut oil may be better for you, castor is pretty thick.

If all else fails, you could try that Hawaiian Silky 14n1. It's been getting good reviews as a moisturizer. I haven't tried it though.

I'll try coconut... or how about almond oil? I like the way that smells.

What about Vitamin E oil? And I'm just concentrating on my ends or I need to apply all over (after moisturizing)? I usually slather on my leave-in and then style without oil. Do I put the oil in after the leave-in or can I mix them together (not equal parts, more conditioner than oil)?

Foxy, try using a moisturizer rather than just wet hair and see if that works. (If you are not doing that already) I use the Cantu Shea Butter leave-in and then put the coconut oil on top of that.

Foxy, try using a moisturizer rather than just wet hair and see if that works. (If you are not doing that already) I use the Cantu Shea Butter leave-in and then put the coconut oil on top of that.

Ok... so you're saying:

--Shampoo
--condition (and after deep condition)
--on wet/clean/damp hair
--use a moisturizer INSTEAD of a leave in conditioner
--oil to seal

Thanks, VV.... I've tried the oils on wet and dry hair.... it just feels like an oil slick.... Maybe I'm using too much? I'll give it another go
icon7.gif

A moisturizer or leave-in will work...I might have missed where you had mentioned using either. So I just wanted to make sure you were putting a product with a moisturizing effect on the wet or dry hair before the oil sealing step. I used to slather on the oils and wonder why my hair did not feel moist and soft. I was missing the moisture step.

I'll try coconut... or how about almond oil? I like the way that smells.

What about Vitamin E oil? And I'm just concentrating on my ends or I need to apply all over (after moisturizing)? I usually slather on my leave-in and then style without oil. Do I put the oil in after the leave-in or can I mix them together (not equal parts, more conditioner than oil)?

I haven't used almond or vitamin E. I like castor and coconut because they actually are absorbed by my hair, I don't know if the other ones do that.

Just use the oil on your ends after you've moisturized. I would do it on damp or wet hair.

you know i also noticed that my ends are shot, so i just trimmed them (a big trim) and now ill start to oil them, i think i lost about 1/2 an inch. but oh well :)

The same thing happens to me, so I shy away from most oils. Instead I usually retain a bit of conditioner on my ends after conditioning. I then airdry in 4-6 pony tails, smooth them out, add 2-3 drops of WGO and put a roller on the end. I found that smoothing my ends help the most with retaining length, less breakage because the ends are smooth and easy to comb. HTH

I have to agree with the above ladies when it comes to oils - and a little bit will do the trick. I put a little (dime sized?) castor oil in the palm of my hands, rub my hands together to spread the oil out, and that little bit is enough for 1/3 of my hair, roots to tips. Just a tiny, tiny bit is all you need - excess oil just sits on my hair, too.

Also, have you tried a salt treatment? It's my personal 'rough end' restorer - 1 teaspoon of table salt in 8 oz of conditioner, and there are a load of threads about others experiences with it, as well.
I'm about to do one today as my ends are feeling a lil rough after clarifying last week.

I always read coconut oil, and olive oil is a great sealant to lock in your moisturizer especially when applied to the ends. Does anyone know if Vitamin E can be used as a sealant on the ends as well? I've always heard it's good for scalp treatment but just wondering. :ohwell:

you know i also noticed that my ends are shot, so i just trimmed them (a big trim) and now ill start to oil them, i think i lost about 1/2 an inch. but oh well :)

Girl that hair of yours in your siggy is fitting to make me jealous with all those waves!!! Yummy :lick:... And I too just took an inch of my hair, and my ends feels amazing now, and I've been moisturizing like none other now, I refuse to get dry ends and have to cut that much ever again...

Anyways....yes, applying moisturizer or a leave in conditioner then oil (I use Coconut Oil or Castor Oil or EVOO depending on my mood or what's closest lol!)..But yeah a little goes a long way, trick is to ensure after the wash, you apply something moisturizing then lock it in! Hope you find one that works for ya...

Back