4a girl wanting 3b-curls!

sereia

HI
you nice and expert ladies! I have been looking around the board for a while and already learned so much that only now I have the need to post.

I discovered your board after a frustrating stylist experience w/ relaxing (breaking hair because of combing w the rattail ->Affirm left on f almost an hour ->several days of burning -> hair that should be texturized but keeps being frizzy instead of curly (even w every product I tried)
mad.gif

well that´s been five months now so new growth is getting really wild & I gotta do something! I love and always wear braid/twistouts but I am looking for a more quick&simple way to achieve that style->my ultimate goal is that Brazilian Hairstyle:defined curls at least to bra strap!
smirk.gif
So I am considering growing out a bit and going for a wave. I too heard that they are better for the hair than relaxers because of the lower pH.

But on the other side I have already grown my texturized hair (nat 4a) about 2 in past my shoulders (o.k. I admit: layered cut w some bone straight parts) and I think I would have to cut it in order to get a curly perm is that right? I don´t know if I could sacrifice allmost all that length!
frown.gif
cry3.gif

So does any of you wise ladies know if there is a texturizing technique to get that look?

What should I do?
confused.gif

I will appreciate every idea!

You would have to cut off all the relaxed hair, grow it back, and then texturize. You can't put a texturizer on top of relaxer.

How much of your hair is texturized compared to the bone straight parts? I don't think that you would need to get a curly perm, you probably just need to find someone who is knowledgeable about texturizers so that you can figure out the best products for you hair type.
Anyone who would leave a relaxer (mild or not) on your hair for an hour needs to be shot!! (or at least beat up pretty bad - have her hair pulled or something!)
It really makes not sense to me that there are so many hair stylist who have gone to SCHOOL for this that don't now !@#$ about doing hair!

Have you tried setting your hair on rollers? The goal of a texturizer is to loosen you natural curl. If your hair is now texturized and does not look like 3b curls, it will never look that way without the use of rollers.

sereia,

What does your hair look like when it's wet? Does any of your hair dry curly, but tightly curled?

I don't have advice on a texturizing technique to get the Brazilian look because I don't know what that look is. Is there some place online that shows it?

Did you want a curly perm or a texturizer? If you're getting a curly perm you might want to look a little further into it. It will give you that 3b curl but everyone I kno that had one their hair broke off ALOT! I used to want one until I read what they do. I'm pretty sure they straighten your hair chemically to remove your original curl pattern and then put it on perm rods and put another chemical on that. In the end your hair is over processed. You might want to research that to make sure I"m correct because I haven't considered chemicals for a long time but I think that's how they do it. I usually hear about whites getting curly perms because their hair is naturally straight (some of em) and they can skip the straightening process and move on to the perm rods.

I agree,

For now Roller Setting would be the way to go, until you can grow your hair out. If you roller set it while it is completely wet, use can use gel to straighten out the edges around your hair line. A set should last you 3 days to one week. If you pin it up in the back so that it doesn't get squashed when you are sleeping.

I would try and resist the chemicals as long as you can. What do you put on your hair for the 2 stranded twists???

Ladies, thanx f the quick responses!

inthe stars, with texturizing I think I could keep my length because I use a relaxer for that.

Hi chanteuse, I have approx 3 in of bone straight hair sandwiched by texturized hair. It makes about 1/3 of my length.

And you are so right about hair stylists! Over here (I live in Germany) you rarely see a healthy relaxed head! Mostly Africans do it because few white salons here have a clue on our hair. That´s why I decided to do it myself! BTW my disaster was with a schooled american stylist!

Hi sbg4evr, do you really think that? I don´t like a lot how my hair looks when it´s texturized (kind of either stringy and crunchy or frizzy), only the back part where I have naturally 3cish curls comes out nicely. It´s hard to find a texturizing pro over here because people use to relax or go natural.

Unfortunately it takes me too long to do a wet set but I am o.k. w my braid-/twistouts. I would love to have that look permanently because those hours of drying suck!

HI CurlyCrly, my texturized hair looks a wavy and a bit frizzy when wet . my natural hair dries in fuzzy little spirals like wide pen springs.

I don´t know if there´s an official name to that hairstyle; I just call it like that because so many brazilian girls/women wear it (people are very mixed over there).
It is LONG (bra-strap or waist) loose medium-sized curls or waves that are worn open and look really defined.

Back