4a fine strand ladies: What's your fave relaxer?

nomadpixi

I'm hoping this post will help lots of ladies in the same predicament:

I'm committed to self relaxing my cottony fine 4a hair, but have yet to have discovered the right relaxer. I have fine hair but a lot of strands and I'm convinced it's my relaxer that's making my hair thinner right now.

I've tried:

Phyto
I apologize to you Phyto lovers but it did NOT love my hair. It felt horribly crisp and was utterly unable to retain moisture. It's the last of the 2 inches of thin ends I'm cutting off with my moon cutting (March 26).

Motions Mild/Regular
Not bad, nice shine (my hair loves Lye)felt underprocessed, and somewhere on here I read your hair thins over time(like I need any more of that), so I felt compelled to find something else.

Designer Touch/Creme of Nature/
Also not bad. But seemed similar results to Motions. Less underprocessed, but not the salon results I was looking for. No word on thinning.

Silk Elements
Oh Lawd! Talk about Indian hair! Hair acts WAY too fine right now. Isn't there something in between!?!?

I was going to try Motions Herbal Relaxer but wanted to hear from someone else their opinion.

Any Tips?

I use Johnson Products Conditioning Cream No Lye Relaxer, for Fine Hair. I love how it straightens my hair. :)

Hi, nomadpixi!

My hair isn't really fine, but it is 4a, so forgive me if this doesn't help, but I'm trying! ;)

I use Mizani Lye Rhelaxer on mine; it gets it straight, and the sheen and moisture is really great!

HTH!

Hey thanks for the replies Ladies:

Trecie-Thanks for reminding me of that. I've actually been considering Mizani for a while.

Kini-I've been admiring your hair for the longest time, you are quite the inspiration :-) Do you mind if I ask: Do you do self relax or salon? And you don't get "firm"hair from the no lye? (last time I did, I'm just curious)

Keep the tips coming ladies!

I use Motions Herbal Mild Relaxer, you know the one in the green container. My hair natural is a 4a...I thought I was the only one. My new growth (expecially around the crown of my head) are like coils. They are very tight, curly, and skinny. I never seen a full head of 4a hair before....I would love to go natural...but my natural 4a hair seems impossible to manage. But the Motions Herbal Relaxer is like a textlax

Design Essentials Lo-lye with Shea Butter is my relaxer of choice. I have fine hair as well. Motions also leaves my hair underprocessed. I recently had to put a Motions in because my D.E. hadn't arrived yet and I could no longer wait to touch up. That was last week and my hair looks about 3 weeks post relaxer.

D.E. is STRICTLY sold to professionals only. I'm not sure if you have a stylist or self-relax. I bought my D.E. on Ebay, and went for the tub.

WillyGWifey said:
I use Motions Herbal Mild Relaxer, you know the one in the green container. My hair natural is a 4a...I thought I was the only one. My new growth (expecially around the crown of my head) are like coils. They are very tight, curly, and skinny. I never seen a full head of 4a hair before....I would love to go natural...but my natural 4a hair seems impossible to manage. But the Motions Herbal Relaxer is like a textlax

Hey, how long do you leave yours on after application? I've slept on it a bit and I think texlaxed may be the way to go for my fine hair. I'd rather do the wash n go thing if possible, and have healthy stronger hair.

Thanks

nomadpixi said:
Kini-I've been admiring your hair for the longest time, you are quite the inspiration :-) Do you mind if I ask: Do you do self relax or salon? And you don't get "firm"hair from the no lye? (last time I did, I'm just curious)

Thank you!!!!!!

No, I absolutely do NOT self-relax. I tried that once in my life, and will never do so again. :lol: I burned the left side of my hair out to the quick. *shudders* What a nightmare

But i digress. I go to a Dominican Salon and they relax me. I dont get firm hair, or any other side effects, from using a no-lye relaxer. Ive been using it for years and am really pleased with it! :)

HTH!!!!

I don't know if my hair is fine or not :confused: I think it is, but I always have stylists say that it is thick. I think I am in the middle somewhere.

Anyway, I love Profectiv. The regular will texlax me and the Super gets my hair straight.

I am trying Phytorelaxer again next time. I did once and it did not relax my hair at all. Now that I have learned more about it, I am going to try it again.

I have fine 4a/b hair and I use Vitale Mild Relaxer. I self relax also. If I can help it, I will never get my hair relaxed by any stylist until I find one that knows the meaning of overlap.

Especially in the Dominican salon. When I first moved to NY, I used to get my relaxer done at the Dominican salon and noticed that my hair was getting thinner and thinner. I always watched the stylists and tried to get them to only perm my newgrowth, but they always want your hair slick straight and think that smoothing the relaxer down the length of your strands makes the hair more manageable.

I always used to pretend my hair was burning after 15min so they would move faster, b/c if not, they would have that relaxer sitting in my hair for 30-45min:eek:

I had a stylist when I lived in Baltimore who always used a timer and was very cautious about overlap. Oh Shantia from Profiles Hair Studio, I miss you:cry:

In the past I've used:

Dark & Lovely No-Lye. Straighten well, but left my hair DESERT DRY.

Motions Lye Regular. At first I thought it took okay, but after the first wash, BOOM I was sooo underprocessed

Silk Elements Lye Mild. This was okay. After the 2nd or 3rd wash my hair would revert to a texlax look. Then I found...

ORS Lye Normal! I love it! Straightens great, doesn't leave my hair dry. Got some on my ear and it burned like no tomorrow, but it didn't burn my scalp at all!

Have to agree w/ the ladies who use Mizani for fine/colored treated hair. I love this relaxer and the products. It gives my hair shine and bounce w/o doing much too it. Its a mild relaxer which is good for burning and not being to strong for your hair plus you can leave it on for a few extra minutes to get it straight if you like bone straight. Great stuff:lol:

I hate I came into this thread. I so frickin confused on what relaxer would be best for my hair and I know its not good to bounce around BUT I don't know what to do. I was using Designer's Touch for years and felt like I was having good results from it then I went to two different stylists on two different occasions and tried Affirm because I knew two other ladies who had success with it but I wasn't satisfied with it. There was nothing special or fabulous about that relaxer vs any other AND its way more expensive. I only tried it because my hair was shedding and I thought maybe it was time to switch relaxers. After that I tried Silk Elements. Regular burned the bajeezers out of my crown (thickest part of my hair) before I even got to smooth it so I had to rinse everything out way too early and ended up underprocessed. So, the next go 'round I tried Silk Elements Mild but this time I was so paranoid that I think I overprotected my hair and scalp and caused more underprocessing. SOOOO...I decided to go back to Designer's Touch, as of January, and it relaxed good and all that but it seems like it reverted or something by week 3 like another poster mentioned. So I'm sitting here with several inches of krinkly hair (not smooth probably due to underprocessing for so many months) and then I also have at least an inch of new growth and I just don't know what relaxer to use. I feel like I should stick to Designer's Touch so that I don't end up losing my hair due to so many changes but I'm scared I won't ever get my hair smooth again instead of this krinkly stuff.

So sad...boo hooooo!

My hair is fine but coarse, and I used Revlon Mild for 13 years with no problems. I started using Affirm Mild last year and its ok, just have to make sure I leave it in long for it to process. And it grows out too quickly. With Revlon, I relaxed every 10 weeks.

Cayenne0622 said:
I hate I came into this thread. I so frickin confused on what relaxer would be best for my hair and I know its not good to bounce around BUT I don't know what to do. I was using Designer's Touch for years and felt like I was having good results from it then I went to two different stylists on two different occasions and tried Affirm because I knew two other ladies who had success with it but I wasn't satisfied with it. There was nothing special or fabulous about that relaxer vs any other AND its way more expensive. I only tried it because my hair was shedding and I thought maybe it was time to switch relaxers. After that I tried Silk Elements. Regular burned the bajeezers out of my crown (thickest part of my hair) before I even got to smooth it so I had to rinse everything out way too early and ended up underprocessed. So, the next go 'round I tried Silk Elements Mild but this time I was so paranoid that I think I overprotected my hair and scalp and caused more underprocessing. SOOOO...I decided to go back to Designer's Touch, as of January, and it relaxed good and all that but it seems like it reverted or something by week 3 like another poster mentioned. So I'm sitting here with several inches of krinkly hair (not smooth probably due to underprocessing for so many months) and then I also have at least an inch of new growth and I just don't know what relaxer to use. I feel like I should stick to Designer's Touch so that I don't end up losing my hair due to so many changes but I'm scared I won't ever get my hair smooth again instead of this krinkly stuff.

So sad...boo hooooo!

Affirm (the No-lye one), wasn't all that great for my hair either! I still have underprocessed hair from the Affirm relaxer that I got back in October 2005. Fortunate for me though, that underprocessed hair is almost to the ends and will be eventually gone after getting a trim. This is why I went back to my tried and true ORS Olive Oil Relaxer.

MY HAIR LOVES SOFT & BEAUTIFUL NO-LYE ALOT. I'VE USED OTHERS IN THE PAST, BUT MY HAIR HAS BEEN RESPONDING WELL SINCE I'VE STARTED TO USE IT:)

Nomadpixi - I cannot believe Phyto did that to you :confused: Did they neutralize you properly. My hair is fine too and my beloved Phyto gets it right every time.

First off...I've found that really, any relaxer can be trouble for fine hair. I have hair that just breaks down EXTREMELY quickly. I find it's more technique/experience, as I really hunt for stylists that a.) understand how fine hair reacts to relaxers and b.) are skilled in texturizing.

Now, that being said, the best for me have been lye relaxers: Dudley's Mild Lye and Nairobi Mild Lye.

Affirm No Lye tore me up something terrible.

ghanaian dime said:
I have fine 4a/b hair and I use Vitale Mild Relaxer. I self relax also. If I can help it, I will never get my hair relaxed by any stylist until I find one that knows the meaning of overlap.

Especially in the Dominican salon. When I first moved to NY, I used to get my relaxer done at the Dominican salon and noticed that my hair was getting thinner and thinner. I always watched the stylists and tried to get them to only perm my newgrowth, but they always want your hair slick straight and think that smoothing the relaxer down the length of your strands makes the hair more manageable.

I always used to pretend my hair was burning after 15min so they would move faster, b/c if not, they would have that relaxer sitting in my hair for 30-45min:eek:

I had a stylist when I lived in Baltimore who always used a timer and was very cautious about overlap. Oh Shantia from Profiles Hair Studio, I miss you:cry:

.. and you still have hair ??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :mad: :eek: ..:lol: See thats why i don't jump everytime someone says this or that is good...you have good and bad in every salon including doms, and you got a bad one...I use affirm w/ fiberguard regular, every 10-12 weeks...i am very underprocessed for now but I think if i get it every 6-8 weeks, all will be well. Because it's so light, I need some overlap. And because it's so light, it won't hurt and I'll still be thick haired.

I have heard good things about Elucence. I am a fine 4a. I usually process very fast. I am thinkng about using it the next relaxer. I waiting and seeing if I will try phyto I again.

thicknlong said:
.. and you still have hair ??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :mad: :eek: ..:lol: See thats why i don't jump everytime someone says this or that is good...you have good and bad in every salon including doms, and you got a bad one...I use affirm w/ fiberguard regular, every 10-12 weeks...i am very underprocessed for now but I think if i get it every 6-8 weeks, all will be well. Because it's so light, I need some overlap. And because it's so light, it won't hurt and I'll still be thick haired.

OH NO! I said "if I did let them relax, they would have the relaxer sitting in my hair for that long". I watch them do other people's hair and this is what I have observed. That is why I do not let the particular salon that I go to relax my hair. I have been to some good salons with good stylists in NYC, but they are wayyyy too expensive for me, so I do it myself.

I am 4a and fine as you can see by my siggy! My stylist uses Elucence - maybe you can give that a try. Some here have said it is too weak for them, but the Elucence regular gets my hair quite straight. And my stylist does not relax bone straight.

I wanted so much to stick with Designer Touch because I wanted more texture, but I think it was a bit too mild, so I feel your pain!

OneInAMillion said:
First off...I've found that really, any relaxer can be trouble for fine hair. I have hair that just breaks down EXTREMELY quickly. I find it's more technique/experience, as I really hunt for stylists that a.) understand how fine hair reacts to relaxers and b.) are skilled in texturizing.

Now, that being said, the best for me have been lye relaxers: Dudley's Mild Lye and Nairobi Mild Lye.

Affirm No Lye tore me up something terrible.

This is SOOOO true! I have very fine hair, but I have a lot of volume. So when I need a touch up I can look like Chaka Khan :lol: And so many stylists have gone too harsh on my hair because they think I need more processing than I do. My hair breaks down quick and so technique is very important, just as you said.

Back