4a Fine Ladies

Substance&Style

ladies i am losing it with my hair :-(

i used to be natural now i am relaxed, but i notice that my hair is thinner than when natural of course. however i cannot put the slightest bit of oil or moisturizer in my hair without it being weighed down.

i like the relaxer just as much as i love being natural, however my hair looks a hot mess when i attempt to oil/moisturize it. it looks like one big oil slick :-(

some of the products i have tried includes: cantu-shea butter moisturizer, oil sheen, coconut oil, jamaican mango-lime oil, EVOO, motions moisturizer.

are there any products that you all use that i could possibly try or any tips to help a fine sistah :-(

*:mad: at my wits end, and about to go natural STAT!:mad: *

Have you tried a spray oil? I only spray the roots and use a little mango butter on the edges. Other than that I leave it alone and don't oil it. I don't want it to look greasy.

i've also found that, if i'm trying to wear my hair straight, i have to get my moisture from the shampoo and conditioner and a leave in while my hair is wet (like NTM silk touch). If I try to put a moisturizer or oil on dry, straight hair, it's not a good look...

Substance&Style said:
ladies i am losing it with my hair :-(

i used to be natural now i am relaxed, but i notice that my hair is thinner than when natural of course. however i cannot put the slightest bit of oil or moisturizer in my hair without it being weighed down.

i like the relaxer just as much as i love being natural, however my hair looks a hot mess when i attempt to oil/moisturize it. it looks like one big oil slick :-(

some of the products i have tried includes: cantu-shea butter moisturizer, oil sheen, coconut oil, jamaican mango-lime oil, EVOO, motions moisturizer.

are there any products that you all use that i could possibly try or any tips to help a fine sistah :-(

*:mad: at my wits end, and about to go natural STAT!:mad: *

All of those would weigh my hair down. I do like coconut oil, but I would need more than that.

Have to tried NTM Slik Touch Leave in on dry hair sealed lightly w/ oil? I like Emu oil, but sometimes I use something thicker on my ends (I prefer Hemp seed butter)

I do clarify and condition every 3 days, though. I really don't need to do my moisture routine everyday. My hair is fine on wash day, the day after i moisturize and seal, nothing (may a touchup on the ends if needed) on the 2nd day, and starting all over with clean hair on the 3rd.

My hair never feels weighed down or greasy.

bmoreflyygirl said:
Have you tried a spray oil? I only spray the roots and use a little mango butter on the edges. Other than that I leave it alone and don't oil it. I don't want it to look greasy.

hey bmoreflyygirl!

i am from bmore too, born and raised on the westside :-)

i have tried better locks lite almond conditioning oil, and even that is kinda heavy :-(

my ends will go to hell on me, if i dont protect them, even without using heat. do you know of anything that i can use on those?

thanks bfg :-)

HighlyFavored1 said:
i've also found that, if i'm trying to wear my hair straight, i have to get my moisture from the shampoo and conditioner and a leave in while my hair is wet (like NTM silk touch). If I try to put a moisturizer or oil on dry, straight hair, it's not a good look...

what is NTM stand for? i think i am going to try that next, but i have heard that leave in, cause major build up on fine hair :-(

Well my hair is super fine as well, and I find the very same thing.... that when I attempt to use oil or a water-based moisturizer, it weighs it down.

So basically, on the (rare) days that I decide to wear my hair out, I dont use any type of product in it at all. *shrug* Thats just the way it has to be. Once its roller set at the salon.... I dont even let the stylists spray sheen in it. I get it deep conditioned, so its silky and moisturized from this..... and so i dont need any oil to leave the salon. Its bouncy and light and free, which is how i love it. It has a natural shine, and this lasts for as long as i tie it up with a satin/silk scarf.

I only wear my hair out for that day, really..... that evening, i bun and of course do my regular moisturizing regimen, which includes a water-based moisturizer that i seal in with oils. By that time, it is weighed down and hella oily, but i dont care.... because i'll be bunning it til the next wash.

So unfortunately, i dont have any advice in terms of products to use for moisturizing when wearing your hair out. For my hair, thats almost an oxy-moron. Its just a given that if i use any type of serum or oil or spray (esp. on the ends).... that my hair will begin to take on that oily look, and I cant stand that.

HoneyDew said:
All of those would weigh my hair down. I do like coconut oil, but I would need more than that.

Have to tried NTM Slik Touch Leave in on dry hair sealed lightly w/ oil? I like Emu oil, but sometimes I use something thicker on my ends (I prefer Hemp seed butter)

I do clarify and condition every 3 days, though. I really don't need to do my moisture routine everyday. My hair is fine on wash day, the day after i moisturize and seal, nothing (may a touchup on the ends if needed) on the 2nd day, and starting all over with clean hair on the 3rd.

My hair never feels weighed down or greasy.

i have no idea what NTM is :-( i do wash my hair every 3-5 or 5-7 days depending on the season, so build up in never a huge issue with build up. it is just my hair looking greasy that kills me, but i think i will try a nice leave in...

Substance&Style said:
what is NTM stand for? i think i am going to try that next, but i have heard that leave in, cause major build up on fine hair :-(

neutrogena triple moisture.

I have fine hair and I use it just fine. I cannot/do not have to use ti everyday, though. Just once every couple of days sealed with oil. I clarify my hair with every shampoo, though.

you sound just like me, my hair is de bomb when i leave the salon :grin: but after that it just goes to hell after day 2-3. if it is a roller set forget it, lol. i mainly need something to keep my roots together when i stretch and something on the ends, because i have ends that will die easily if i dont manage them :ohwell:

what type of relaxer do you use, if you dont mind.

HoneyDew said:
neutrogena triple moisture.

I have fine hair and I use it just fine. I cannot/do not have to use ti everyday, though. Just once every couple of days sealed with oil. I clarify my hair with every shampoo, though.

ok one dumb question. what is sealed, and how do you do that? i am think getting caught up in the semantics of the word :p

Substance&Style said:
ok one dumb question. what is sealed, and how do you do that? i am think getting caught up in the semantics of the word :p

anytime you put oil on mositurized hair it acts as a seal to hold the moisture inside. HTH

Fine hair seems to need a bit more protein than thick hair. I find that using either infusium or salerm 21 as a leave in really helps my hair a lot. If infusium is too drying you can add water to it. My hair hates oil on it when its wet, it sheds like crazy. I do use NTM leave in, as a daily moisturizer then just a tish of aveda emollient to seal the ends, I dont like the NTM serum. I am ready to go after that.

madamdot said:
Fine hair seems to need a bit more protein than thick hair. I find that using either infusium or salerm 21 as a leave in really helps my hair a lot. If infusium is too drying you can add water to it. My hair hates oil on it when its wet, it sheds like crazy. I do use NTM leave in, as a daily moisturizer then just a tish of aveda emollient to seal the ends, I dont like the NTM serum. I am ready to go after that.

i am noticing that with fine hair, most of you ladies use higher end products :p where can you get salerm 21?

hey S&S. i use elasta QP oil recovery moisturiser as a daily moisturiser. i use it twice a day and it doesnt weigh my hair down. believe me...i tried all the moisturisers you mentioned above.

i also tried salerm 1 but after a while, it made my hair get protein overload. also, i CO wash twice a week so my hair doesnt get too greasy.

i also relaxed after being natural for a while. the main reason why i went natural was to make it look thick and uhh... nah..i wont do it again. i relaxed a little over a week ago and i cant wait to get new growth cos it looks thin at the moment.

i love my hair though :)

ETA: i use nioxin silk elixir as a leave in and i take biotin to make my strands thicker

Last edited:
Hi Substance&Style,

I have fine 4a/b hair too. I have to agree with what somone else said. My moisture comes from water and the shampoo and conditioner I use during wash day. I wash once a week and I usually use Elucence or Elasta QP shampoos and conditioners. I used to use NTM leave in, but I don't think my hair likes the silicones in it.

Because my hair is fine, I can't weight it down too much with products, so I have tried to minimalize the stuff I use. I only wash my hair once a week and usually wear it in a bun.

When I Airdry:
I use Salerm leave in, seal the strands with Keracare Essential Oils and the ends with Castor oil. After wash day, I use the Essential oils every day and castor oil every other day.

When I get a dominican blow out (roller set):
I use Lacio Lacio leave in (not as thick as Salerm) . After the blow out, if I'm wearing my hair out for the next few days, I only use essential oils on my hair and ends.

I hope this helps.

I have fine 4a hair too. like most ladies have mentioned i get my moisture from my weekly deep conditioning treatments. i wear my hair out wash day and the day after, put small amounts of WGO (wildgrowth oil, and dominican perfect for perms cream) on it for shine those two days. and the after that i wear my hair in ponytail, so if its greasy, it doesn't really matter too much. My hair never feels dry.

Unfortunately our type of hair doesn't keep body too long, but no one's hair is perfect

Substance&Style said:
hey bmoreflyygirl!

i am from bmore too, born and raised on the westside :-)

i have tried better locks lite almond conditioning oil, and even that is kinda heavy :-(

my ends will go to hell on me, if i dont protect them, even without using heat. do you know of anything that i can use on those?

thanks bfg :-)

Me too! What part?

Substance&Style said:
i am noticing that with fine hair, most of you ladies use higher end products :p where can you get salerm 21?

Ebay. I only use higher end products when I can get them cheap :)

ghanaian dime said:
Hi Substance&Style,

I have fine 4a/b hair too. I have to agree with what somone else said. My moisture comes from water and the shampoo and conditioner I use during wash day. I wash once a week and I usually use Elucence or Elasta QP shampoos and conditioners. I used to use NTM leave in, but I don't think my hair likes the silicones in it.

Because my hair is fine, I can't weight it down too much with products, so I have tried to minimalize the stuff I use. I only wash my hair once a week and usually wear it in a bun.

When I Airdry:
I use Salerm leave in, seal the strands with Keracare Essential Oils and the ends with Castor oil. After wash day, I use the Essential oils every day and castor oil every other day.

When I get a dominican blow out (roller set):
I use Lacio Lacio leave in (not as thick as Salerm) . After the blow out, if I'm wearing my hair out for the next few days, I only use essential oils on my hair and ends.

I hope this helps.

Is that you on the picture? If so WOW @ your hair length! It looks thick to me. I can't imagine growing my fine/medium 4a/b hair out that long and have it look that good. Is it really possible? It seems like fine hair would look even thinner with more length.

Back