4a coilies: as your hair gets longer, do the coils clump together and get "bigger" ?

ajoyfuljoy

Hey

I've found out from my last couple of stretches that my head is full of coils. They are little though and like to keep to themselves!

I was wondering, if I were to grow my hair out, would they start to clump together, "unite" and form bigger coils.

4a coily ladies, please share your stories. TIA!

Re: 4a coilies: as your hair gets longer, do the coils clump together and get "bigger

*bumping*

I feel like that is what s happening to me. I normally do two strand twists on my hair every week or every two weeks, but I tried a puff for two weeks and now I can t even detangle my hair because of the coils that are all clumped up...:nono: I hope someone can help.

Re: 4a coilies: as your hair gets longer, do the coils clump together and get "bigger

I've noticed that my coils are getting looser. I guess the weight of my hair is pulling down on the hair resulting in a 3cish look. The coils are clumping together more, but not that much...its not that bad:grin::spinning:

As I transition, the strands are starting to clump together and become more defined but not bigger in diameter. For example they are more noticeable pen-spring curls instead of changing to pencil sized curls.

For me not really. But when i comb out my hair, I always pull on my strands to make combing easier.

I've noticed that my coils are beginning to clump together especially in the middle where my hair is the longest/grows the fastest. However, my hair in the front and at the nape seems to be getting "looser". It's very weird

Yes They Clump Together Its a battle Field Trying to Work around them at times:wallbash:

For me, how much my curls clump together (to form bigger curls) depends on the moisture level of my hair and my technique. I've noticed that the more moisturized my hair is (which tends to increase in the Spring and summer) the bigger the curls are.

Also, using a denman brush clumps them together wonderfully to form bigger curls.

I wouldn't call them bigger coils, but yes, they clump together. However, the heavier your hair gets, the more they start to fall.

I've got a long way to go before I have tons of little curls hanging down my back!

I've noticed that my coils are getting looser. I guess the weight of my hair is pulling down on the hair resulting in a 3cish look. The coils are clumping together more, but not that much...its not that bad:grin::spinning:

Mine also get looser as my hair gets longer. However I have more frizz than coils :wallbash:

For me, how much my curls clump together (to form bigger curls) depends on the moisture level of my hair and my technique. I've noticed that the more moisturized my hair is (which tends to increase in the Spring and summer) the bigger the curls are.

Also, using a denman brush clumps them together wonderfully to form bigger curls.

Mine also get looser as my hair gets longer. However I have more frizz than coils :wallbash:

Ditto. The longer it gets (even at a scant 3.5") the looser and more defined my curls become. Pencil size on the horizon.

Right now I am noticing that my curls are starting to hang more and the curls are becoming more defined.

This is really encouraging :yep: It's weird for me, but everytime I stretch and figure out ways to up the moisture content of my hair, my coils also seem looser and more spiral like---they're just small.

I used to think I was a 4b! But after being on this site for a while I figured out that I was just a dried out 4a.

I never even noticed I had a coil pattern to my new growth. When my natural hair is really dry, it is just like perfect afro hair. But the more moist it is, coils galore.

I wouldn't call them bigger coils, but yes, they clump together. However, the heavier your hair gets, the more they start to fall.

I've got a long way to go before I have tons of little curls hanging down my back!

Yep, I've noticed this too. After my bc, there were some sections that were perfectly straight. Fast forward 4 months later and they are finally looking like the curls they were born to be :yep: Kinky weeping willows :rolleyes:

Yep, I've noticed this too. After my bc, there were some sections that were perfectly straight. Fast forward 4 months later and they are finally looking like the curls they were born to be :yep: Kinky weeping willows :rolleyes:

I like that phrase!

I really don't know. I feel like it's about the same as it was shorter, but my curls "hang" more, which makes them appear longer.

Nope. My hair is the same as it was when it was two inches long. I have to do a twist out to make it look any different.

This is really encouraging :yep: It's weird for me, but everytime I stretch and figure out ways to up the moisture content of my hair, my coils also seem looser and more spiral like---they're just small.

I used to think I was a 4b! But after being on this site for a while I figured out that I was just a dried out 4a.

I never even noticed I had a coil pattern to my new growth. When my natural hair is really dry, it is just like perfect afro hair. But the more moist it is, coils galore.

Wow...^^^^this is so me. Moisture content is crucial to make coils really pop!

OMG. My hair is exactly like this! I never knew how to describe it though. You hit it right on the nail. :yep:

^^^^^^^^ Yup alot of people think they have no curl pattern but from the pics i see their hair is just dry:look:

Last edited:

Bump!
I think moisture and technique has to do with how big my coils are. I really think my hair will be more defined as it grows longer too. :woot:

:look: Interesting. *sigh* I would be interested in seeing if this is true on my head, but the thought of letting my hair dry loose so the curl pattern is undisturbed gives me the heebiejeebies. :lachen:

I swear I feel like the only changes I am noticing may be from heat damage. Some curls have a looser pattern while other parts of my hair are super springy. There are parts that are really fuzzy. My hair feels like it is not getting longer. It did grow while I was hiding for two months. It seems my twa looks the same way it did when I first started my natural hair journey.

yeah, mine would fall or loosen up. i started looking like Michael Jackson from Thriller. my wash and gos starting looking cute again after awhile and then i turned around and had my hair cut again.

I used to think I had more frizz than coils also, but using conditioner as a leave in or running aloe vera gel through my hair clumps the coils/curls

My coils are not getting any bigger, but they are more defined.

Yes, I've noticed this. The coils looks very nice when I BC'd for about 3 months but as soon as my hair got into that in-between stage, definition was no where to be found. Now that my hair is creeping towards APL, I'm noticing bigger coils and the definition is more obvious. It must just be the weight of the hair but I like the change. It allows me to stretch my hair less and to just leave it as is.

As my hair has gotten longer, my coils are more defined. But, I think that might be a result of healthier hair. I used to think my hair was straight 4b, like a cottony mass. Now, I realized my hair was just DRY. My hair is far more moisturized now and overall, it's healthier. I have lots of actual coils, some big and some little. While wet, they do seem to clump together more now as well. I don't know what it looks like dry because I don't let my hair dry loose.

Back