4A/B ladies--what's a good moisturizer??

misscrystal

Nappy and Happy
I need a good daily moisturizer. I'm a few weeks post relaxer and dryness is my biggest issue after i get perms. My hair is mostly 4B i think, because it feels sort of waxy to the touch. I need something that can handle moisturizing my new-growth and permed hair. but please, NO products w/mineral oil!. i've discovered it dries my hair out in the long run.

any suggestions???

Elasta QP Mango Butter, Neutrogena Triple Moisture so far are the best moisturizers for stretching.....I am now 8 weeks post relaxer and with these two products I can push for 4 more weeks...Also you can use activator moisturizer on your new growth. I did not know I could use and activator on relaxed hair until I came to the board. With the activator, you get more slippage on your new growth making it easier to manipulate.

803866.jpg

When my hair was your length, I was taking advantage of finding the best moisturizer for my hair too! So I understand your woes. Try using your favorite conditioner first (a little is all you need). If protective styles work for you, do it (your ends will thank you).

Like i said in another thread, I didn't need to moisturize daily because I was co-washing everyday. I think the spring/summer months are the best time to start on it because that's when hair supposedly grows the fastest.

I don't use "moisturizers"; I use a bit of natural oasis oil on the ends or some biosilk serum...

I like myhoneychild Honey Hair Soy Milk, Honey Love Moisturizer

Motions Mango Butter
Asha's Coco de Leche
Soft and Beautiful Botanicals Creme Moisturizer

hottopic said:
Elasta QP Mango Butter, Neutrogena Triple Moisture so far are the best moisturizers for stretching.....I am now 8 weeks post relaxer and with these two products I can push for 4 more weeks...Also you can use activator moisturizer on your new growth. I did not know I could use and activator on relaxed hair until I came to the board. With the activator, you get more slippage on your new growth making it easier to manipulate.

803866.jpg

Hottopic:
Which one of the NTM products is this?

I am using the NTM Leave-in as a moisturizer daily.
The picture above is the leave in.

I use the NTM silk touch as a moisturizer.
I also use jojoba oil and NTM serum.
Lately my hair has been staying nice and moisturized until next washing w/o using those. I think because of my leave ins which is Rusk smoother and lacio lacio mixed, also john frieda serum.

Hollywood Beauty: Olive Oil Moisturizer
I have been using it For the past 2 months now and NOTHING COMES CLOSE!
Just check out the ingredients list at the back it packed with everything.

I was a bit sceptical at first as its not really a big brand name but it’s a staple for me.

Kizzy

kizzylonghair said:
Hollywood Beauty: Olive Oil Moisturizer
I have been using it For the past 2 months now and NOTHING COMES CLOSE!
Just check out the ingredients list at the back it packed with everything.

I was a bit sceptical at first as its not really a big brand name but it’s a staple for me.

Kizzy

I only bought this because it had the a small jar of olive cholesterol conditioner attached to it and I really just wanted the conditioner. After trying it I think this might become one of my staples. I put this on some of my new growth and it was so soft. It's not the best smelling moisturizer but very nice.

I use S-Curl for buns... I also like B&B Castor Oil Moisturizer (In the pink and white bottle). Not too thick and no mineral oil. I use this when I wear my hair out.

I see alot of ladies are having success w/NTM, but that's what i'm currently using!! I don't think it's strong enough for my hair. I'll put it on, but a few hours later, my hair is back to looking dried out! my hair feels like hay and i can't stand it!

i need something better. i've tried mango butter, but i'm not sure how well it's moisturizing. it acts more like gel on my hair and weighs it down badly. i need something that will keep my hair moisturized through the day. do i need something that's oil based? (olive oil, jojoba, etc?)

misscrystal said:
I see alot of ladies are having success w/NTM, but that's what i'm currently using!! I don't think it's strong enough for my hair. I'll put it on, but a few hours later, my hair is back to looking dried out! my hair feels like hay and i can't stand it!

i need something better. i've tried mango butter, but i'm not sure how well it's moisturizing. it acts more like gel on my hair and weighs it down badly. i need something that will keep my hair moisturized through the day. do i need something that's oil based? (olive oil, jojoba, etc?)
NTM doesnt work that well for me either.

misscrystal said:

Have you tried using it with an oil. I use it with castor oil on my roots and it was GREAT for me. For my NG I do Distilled water,NTM and sometimes Scurl, then seal with castor oil. For my ends I use something similar but it depends on if my ponytail is out or up. If up I use castor oil , if down I use a shea butter spray. Or I use the castor oil and night, and do nothing but NTM in the morning....

misscrystal said:

I use NTM mixed with Jojoba Oil and NTM serum

ok Im not 4 a/b but wanted to respond..

The elasta QP is not a good moisturizer at all!! In fact its drying!! on my hair it is and your right its like a gel (hardening)

yes i say use oils with whatever else you use.....the oils and butter with the other creamy leave in's just add umph to the moisture level of everything...if its feeling like hay? yes use naturals oil/butters!!

Unrefined Shea is one of the most moisturizing...but heavy!! coconut oil, olive oil, avacodo oil or butter ...jojoba, sweet almond....any of them , just add some oil to your routine

Water based moisturizers do nothing for my hair either..not alone anyway

misscrystal said:

Back