4a and 4b naturals (and gently texturized)... does your hair swang?

Neith

I was just thinking about this. I've never actually erm... seen a natural head of hair in optimal health, so I don't know how it's supposed to behave.

Does your hair have that "white girl" :rolleyes: (term used because I just couldn't think of anything more descriptive at the moment) swing and volume?

When my hair is wet, I have perfect swing, but as it dries a lot of it goes away. Looks perfectly healthy and nice and has some movement, but it doesn't move all that much.

What styles (besides wearing it straight and in braids/twists) give you swing?

Just wondering... pass me by if this is a really stupid question :lol:

My hair doesn't swing. My hair laughs at the thought of swinging, even when soaking wet. It's too in love with itself to move that 'loosely'.

When my hair was permed flat, it swung, and anything less than that, nuh-uh.

:lol:

My hair gives me two options - I can either have swing, or I can have body. If I want swing, I accept flat, lifeless, can't hold a curl hair. If I want full, lucious, curly hair - it's not swinging.

I've never had my hair 'properly' pressed or blown out, so that might give me the medium between swing and body, but I don't know (and don't plan on experimenting any time soon)

Braid-outs with braided roots usually give my hair "a little" bounce. It also moves in the wind with this style. But it has to be a fresh braid-out, meaning first, sometimes second day hair.

After humidity hits it, it's just crinkly and fuzzy.

my hair bounces and swings until its 100% dry then its immobile.(it shrank like crazy too) after i lightly texturized it began to sway in the breeze but i think it was moreso that my hair got longer than the texturizer. my hair doesnt swing or bounce like it used to when damp after my text:sad:

*makes mental note* Don't expect much in the way of swang.

Hey, I just didn't know, okay? :lachen: I never like saw in person someone with natural type 4 hair that was long/unstraightened/unstretched/healthy... :perplexed

Okay, lol, thanks guys. :)

My hair only swings when it is in twists or braids. I am a natural 4b that has been considering texlaxing until this weekend. This past weekend I added some avocado butter and silk amino acids to some curls whipped cram (trying to use this up so I can use alma and olive heavy cream from Qhemet Biologics when it arrives). My hair was swannning :spinning:. I had read that avocado butter had a texturizing effect on hair but I was amazed at how relax my hair was. I am now considering staying natural again. I have been wigging it for a few months. So I am going to reveal my hair in Jan and see how I feel than.

Nope.

It moves when it's wet or in twists, but other than that, nope. I love my hair so much I don't miss the swing of relaxed hair.

Only the bold. I am not a pro at pressing so even then, I didn't get much of a swing. My strands just seemed so light that they just hang immobile. But if I plaited the pressed strands into small plaits, then they got some weight and would move. My natural afro only knows one thing: shrinkage. And when stretched by braids, it only knows one thing: how to vogue ie strike a pose.

My hair has a "little" swing (meaning it moves a bit) when it's been stretched slightly. If I wear my hair in a bun for a half a day or so (especially when I've used curl activator), then my hair has enough stretch to make it bounce a little when I move. It does NOT move like it's straightened though.

My hair has swingability this weekend. I straightened my hair. I am still swing it around the office today.:grin:
Me too! :grin: Check out my siggy

ETA: Other then what was mentioned, a blow out 'fro will blow in the wind but will not the swang of pressed hair.

Last edited:
Yes, my hair moves. It only "swings" when it's pressed. But it's never really stiff and it moves when I walk and blows easily in the wind.

Besides when it's straight, my hair swings when in twists and with twist-outs that are very well detangled...

My hair swings most when wet, but it still swings when it's dry. When it's dry I get the best swing when it's in a ponytail. But even when it's down and curly it can still swing and blow in the wind. I think it has to do with length. My hair didn't swing after it was dry when my hair was shorter. But now that I'm BSL (stretched) my hair swings.

The funny thing is b/c of shrinkage my hair can look to be the same length for a long time, but now instead of just staying stationary around my shoulders it moves around. I think that the longer my hair grows, and the heavier my curls are, the more swing I will get. Of course optimal swing only happens when my hair is flat ironed.

ETA:
KCcurly, I love your twists in your siggy.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about this. I've never actually erm... seen a natural head of hair in optimal health, so I don't know how it's supposed to behave.

Does your hair have that "white girl" :rolleyes: (term used because I just couldn't think of anything more descriptive at the moment) swing and volume?

When my hair is wet, I have perfect swing, but as it dries a lot of it goes away. Looks perfectly healthy and nice and has some movement, but it doesn't move all that much.

What styles (besides wearing it straight and in braids/twists) give you swing?

Just wondering... pass me by if this is a really stupid question :lol:

My natural 4b hair swing when wet, when dry (wash and go) and when i have twist and twist-out, and of course when i straighten it ...and it blows in the windn in natural and straight state
My hair is cottony and light I don't need to blow dry my hair before flat ironed it it get straight very easily :)
Edit : I think it's because of the lenght( about Bra strap lenght )

Last edited:
If I get my hair properly straightened, it will have lots of swing. Now, my hair can bounce. It's quite a nice movement. If I let my hair shrink up, it would be too tight and dense to move. It also does not move much even when wet and loose. But if in a twist out, even a chunky one like this
puffed out:

earlier in the day:

, it will bounce when I walk quickly or go up or down stairs or when the wind blows it will move all over. It is stretched hair.

Back