4A/4Bs LIST PRODUCTS THAT TAMES YOUR NEWGROWTH?

Nanyanika

Hi ladies, i'm 5 weeks post relaxer and its getting difficult, i'm searching for products that will tame my newgrowth (smooth, flatten, soften) so far i'm using s-curl and profectiv roothealth i'm wondering if there are better ones out there. please name any products that work for your newgrowth thanks

Elasta QP Mango Butter with a scarf and tie down for a while. NG lays flat all day. I also use the butter to smooth my ends. ORS Carrot Oil works too.

Last edited:
I alternate and/or use a combination of Fantasia Ice Pomade, Qhemet Heavy Cream, Pantene Extra Liso, NTM Leave In and Garnier Frutis Putty...I still have to tie a scarf on if I want it to really lay down flat:lol:

JazzyDez said:
Elasta QP Mango Butter with ans use a scarf and tie down for a while. NG lays flat all day. I also use the butter to smooth my ends. ORS Carrot Oil works too.
Haven't used mango butter in ages....does it leave it build-up or dryness, do you apply on dry/wet hair? have you airdried with ORS carrot oil before? if yes, what were the results on the newgrowth? I need something really good to airdry with, which will leave my newgrowth soft instead of crunchy.

Beyond the Zone Stiff head, Fantasia IC thick and Shine gel or elasta QP glaze. Depending on how far into the stretch I am, I may use one or a combination of these. HTH.

marie170 said:
I alternate and/or use a combination of Fantasia Ice Pomade, Qhemet Heavy Cream, Pantene Extra Liso, NTM Leave In and Garnier Frutis Putty...I still have to tie a scarf on if I want it to really lay down flat:lol:
thanks for posting.

Wishin4BSL said:
SILK ELEMENTS MEGASILK MOISTURIZING TREATMENT!!!!!:grin: :grin: :grin:
Yeah i was asking you about this in another thread, i wanna know how does your newgrowth feel after airdrying? do you add any other products on the newgrowth?

crlsweetie912 said:
Beyond the Zone Stiff head, Fantasia IC thick and Shine gel or elasta QP glaze. Depending on how far into the stretch I am, I may use one or a combination of these. HTH.
does the gels leave build-up? this is what i'm afraid of also because eventually they cause the hair to get dry or cruncy.

Matrix Sleek Look steps 1,2,&3 (I think step 3 is what really does the trick). The Generic version at Sally's is cheaper and just as good as the real Matrix. I usually use this line near the end of my relaxer stretch.
Disclaimer: Step 3 contains some lhcf no-no ingredients but it gets the job done for me.
Hope this helps:)

den1 said:
does the gels leave build-up? this is what i'm afraid of also because eventually they cause the hair to get dry or cruncy.

I never use gel alone anymore. I usually do this. Put on my Infusium, a little profective breakfree all over and then the gel. It's never crunchy at all. I can still come through it if I want to. (but I never comb my hair dry when I am bunning) It's really a soft hold but strong if that makes sense. I really like it.

Miss.Que said:
Matrix Sleek Look steps 1,2,&3 (I think step 3 is what really does the trick). The Generic version at Sally's is cheaper and just as good as the real Matrix. I usually use this line near the end of my relaxer stretch.
Disclaimer: Step 3 contains some lhcf no-no ingredients but it gets the job done for me.
Hope this helps:)
Thanks i'm gonna check this out!!

crlsweetie912 said:
I never use gel alone anymore. I usually do this. Put on my Infusium, a little profective breakfree all over and then the gel. It's never crunchy at all. I can still come through it if I want to. (but I never comb my hair dry when I am bunning) It's really a soft hold but strong if that makes sense. I really like it.
i gave away my big tub of gel!! didn't think i'd have any use for it...thanks!!

Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles
and
Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade

Happy Nappy Styles cream really keeps my hair tamed and soft, not greasy or crunchy at all.

den1 said:
Haven't used mango butter in ages....does it leave it build-up or dryness, do you apply on dry/wet hair? have you airdried with ORS carrot oil before? if yes, what were the results on the newgrowth? I need something really good to airdry with, which will leave my newgrowth soft instead of crunchy.

The Mango butter can leave a bit of build up if you apply to much. I only use it on my edges and it doesnt bother me at all. It comes out on wash day. I apply it to dry hair every morning before work then tie a scarf around my hair for at least 15 mins for it to lay flat.

I havent mastered the art of of soft bouncy hair when airdrying yet...it normaly takes a day or so for my hair to feel the way I like after a wash.

BTW I also use the s-curl to soften my hair and I like it alot.

JazzyDez said:
The Mango butter can leave a bit of build up if you apply to much. I only use it on my edges and it doesnt bother me at all. It comes out on wash day. I apply it to dry hair every morning before work then tie a scarf around my hair for at least 15 mins for it to lay flat.

I havent mastered the art of of soft bouncy hair when airdrying yet...it normaly takes a day or so for my hair to feel the way I like after a wash.

BTW I also use the s-curl to soften my hair and I like it alot.
I have to tie down my hair too.
my hair feels good about two days after washing and airdying a bun and moisturising roots again with with s-curl, before hand the newgrowth feels crunchy and i don't like the feel, thats why i'm desperately trying to find a product to moisturise my newgrowth during airdrying and not have to reapply products.

Well, I don't think it works much to smooth and flatten but Qhemet's Amla Oil Pomade really works to soften your hair.

I dont like QP Mango butter its too sticky and leaves a residue/build up that I dont like. For me things that lay down the new growth (with a scarf) have been Robin Wood's Afro Detangler (the best). Rusk smoother also works pretty well.

den1 said:
I have to tie down my hair too.
my hair feels good about two days after washing and airdying a bun and moisturising roots again with with s-curl, before hand the newgrowth feels crunchy and i don't like the feel, thats why i'm desperately trying to find a product to moisturise my newgrowth during airdrying and not have to reapply products.
loreal nature's therapy unfrizz worked well for me in taming my new growth without having to apply anything else other than wgo to my scalp strictly for gp ;)

These products never fail me:
CW
S Curl
CD Some of Margurite's Magic
ORS Olive oil
WGO
BTZ Stiffhead (thanks to my fellow who referred this to me you know who you are)

Silicon Mix, Fantasia IC, and Pantene Hydrating Curls

OT: Den1.....your hair is GORGEOUS!!!!!!! The shine is BLINDING...just lovely!

Last edited:
S-Curl, NTM Leave-in and Sylver2's scarf method. I don't try to tame the new growth per se.........I just camouflage it by keeping it as flat as possible. Her scarf method has worked wonders for me.

Babygurl said:
Silicon Mix, Fantasia IC, and Pantene Hydrating Curls

OT: Den1.....your hair is GORGEOUS!!!!!!! The shine is BLINDING...just lovely!
thank-you babygurl, your hair progress is amazing

Back