4 types struggling with blowdrying/flatironing *tips*

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Hey ladies :)

I just wanted to offer a few tips to those that may be struggling with the detangling, blowdrying and straightening process.

The first thing I can not stress enough is TAKE YOUR TIME!! This is crucial to getting it right and losing the least amount of hair as possible :yep:

Before washing I do the oil method (basically the popular oil rinse phenomenon!) on dry hair. I part my hair in no less than 4 sections and apply ALOT of coconut oil to each section. I leave this in overnight. I don't braid the sections or anything since usually my hair is in a fro/puff, etc and i don't want to comb/manipulate.

The next day I hop in the shower and wash with moisturizing poo's. After that I split my hair in half from top of the head straight back to the bottom. Next I start on the left side and apply a mix of a moisturizing conditioner (aubrey organics honeysuckle) plus my biolage detangler. Make sure you get every inche of hair, then do the right side.

After that starting again on the left from the top i start detangling with my wide tooth (toof :lachen:) comb. I grab about a quarter of my hair on the left and under the water start combing, rinse out all the conditioner, then braid that section up. I do this 3 more times on the left side and then do the same to the right side starting at the top. you can do as many sections as you want. After i am done I will have 8 moisturized braids (4 on the left and 4 on the right). I do a cold rinse leaving the braids in and hop out of the shower.

From there I wrap my hair up in my hair turban and let it sit for 20 mins to absorb a lot of the water. After that I take down 1 section, apply a minute amount of infusium leave in plus my heat protectant, and 2 drops of jojoba oil,then stretch the hair and run my blowdryer up and down the length. Make sure you get inside the hair too so its not wet in the middle (thank you pinkskates for this tip:yep:). After it's dry (not dried out and fried, just dry) i rebraid the hair and do the next one.

After I have done all the braids I them down and will have nice, soft waves. The softness and condition of the hair makes it easier to get my maxiglide going properly which means less frizz, less tangles and minimum snags.

Sorry so long, and I'm sure that most have a method similar but I know that there are some out there that may benefit so just wanted to help :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions Bre. Its still a frustrating process for me and I never quite get the results I want. Im trying this on Saturday.

Thanks :yep: This sounds like a good method. My hair tangels up ALOT and it takes me along time to flatiron. This sounds alot easier and like it will reduce the time

You are making me want to try this again. I failed at my first and second attempts at straightening myself, but maybe the third time will be a charm. I took my flat iron back to the store, but maybe I'll borrow a friend's and try again.

Thanks for the tip Bre, you're such a sweetie.

I pretty much do the same thing except when I tried to flat iron my hair last week, my hair was too soft. It wouldn't hold the straightness and by the end of the day it looked like a cloud. Nice and fluffy, like I didn't have any weight in my hair. Any clue as to what I need to do?

Back