3b or 3c In here, please

la flaca

I think I am a 3b/c and my hair doesn't do very well with a lot of the things the ladies are doing in here and I was wondering if it was only me or it has to do with my hair type.

These are the things I've found so far that my hair doesn't like:

1. CW, over night conditioners, oils (I can only use oil for prepoos and with DC) my hair will get really soft to the point that I need protein to fix it at the end of the week.

2. I can't apply a lot of products (moisturizers, oils, BT) during the week 'cause my hair will shred a lot. My hair likes to be cleaned but cw is not an option

Last edited:
i don't know if it has anything to do with your hair type, it may be an individual thing

I am not a 3, there is nothing 3ish about my hair, I am a true 4a and my does not like many of the techniques and products favored by this board

1. i can't cowash, leads to build up, mushy hair and breakage

2. my hair does not like oils at all, i can't seal with them, i can't prepoo with them and i can't add them to my conditioners, i end up with dry crunchy hair

3. i can not moisturize daily, doing so weighs my hair down

4. i can't apply anything to my scalp, if i do i experience massive shedding

5. buns cause breakage for me

i can relate to that. my hair does not like oils like baggying for example. i am currently using BT. i have been using for about a week now. i do see some shedding but alot of ladies said they experienced that for the 1st week or so, so i'll see what happens.
oh course heavy proteins are a no no:nono: . i cant really condition my hair overnight. i'm afraid to actually. seems like my hair is too mushy and will not style right if i do.

la flaca said:

1. CW, over night conditioners, oils (I can only use oil for prepoos and with DC) my hair will get really soft to the point that I need protein to fix it at the end of the week.

2. I can't apply a lot of products (moisturizers, oils, BT) during the week 'cause my hair will shred a lot. My hair likes to be cleaned but cw is not an option

Hey La Flaca :wave:. I have 3 something hair and guess what, I cant do anything that you mentioned as well (except for the oils. My hair eats it right up). Most of the things you listed would seriously make my hair limp and look greasy. Also if I put too much product in, my head will stink. That is a problem for me because I tend to be heavy handed with my products.

I dont know if it has to do with the hair type but just know that you are not alone.

la flaca said:
I think I am a 3b/c and my hair doesn't do very well with a lot of the things the ladies are doing in here and I was wondering if it was only me or it has to do with my hair type.

Oh your hair:love:

When I first came to LHCF I was excited then I got frustrated b/c I was trying all these things and it just didn't work on my hair:confused: then I realized that like anything else, what works for one might not work for another.

CW: I can ONLY do these in the summer months when I wear my hair curly and i can't sleep on my curls at all, I have to re-wet the next day, so usually in the summer, I am wash n-go and when it dries, it looks like my curly siggy pic.

Oils: too heavy for me, I've tried and tried them but they weigh my hair down, make it look greasy or stringy. I don't know if i'm not using the right combination or what but I can't get it right. i've looked at some 3's albums that use them trying to get tips.

Heat vs. no heat: I like to wear my hair straight and when I do, I just bd. I know that is a big no no on LHCF:look: but it works for me:ohwell: and when I wear my hair straight, any moisturizes or anything that is 'wet' will make it revert which is why when I workout CW is out for me, so its straight until I wasn and start all over again.

Products: I just don't use alot period. I have alot b/c I am sort of PJ but I have a staple of several that I interchange with. If i use too many, my hair gets soft, won't hold a curl or frizzes.

I honestly cannot say anything negative about whats going on with my hair right now. I have 3b-3c and I think 4a hair. The 4a being on my top sides. I have done all of these things mentioned above no change or damage to my hair I think because I only use oils that are really good for my scalp like jojoba and emu oil and avocado oil. The rest are good ---but for me ---they don't work well. These oils are great for the body as well. I am not faithful to one kind of shampoo or conditioner but Nexxus Humectress is part of the staple without a doubt. I love millcreek keratin Shampoo and conditioner and I follow it up with Humectress. My hair is in great condition when I do this but I only use the set once a week if that. Only when I feel like I need to add more protein. I use all kinds of moisturizing conditioners the ones I find that really respond good to my type of hair is NTM hands down. EQ DPR111- can't remember if that has protein or not. I use this once in a while and various other conditioners and protein conditioners. I think since I am not set on one kind I have less stress on my hair. I have no breakage. I haven't had breakage since I started on this journey. I had one trim. I do the baggie method every night. I CW every morning never at night. I hate wet hair at night when I want to go to sleep its a mess in the AM so I just do it in the am. This is what I do for the baggie method I use Dove (mist) and then I get a handful of black castor oil and go over my ends once or twice making sure I cover them and then put the cap on. My hair is never greasy or funny feeling its really moist when I take the cap off. But I get in the shower and rinse it all away anyway. I do this every day. sometimes I forget about the oil. Also I have just put the oil on and the cap and went to bed my hair was still moist in the morning. I love the Baggie Method. For some reason it seems to keep me warmer at night too.

i never do overnight conditioning...my curls are limp when I do that....oils i use only on damp hair. on dry hair it does nothing.

I think whatever you were doing before you came to LHCF seems to work for you. I wouldn't go to far from what you've already done. Stick with what works.

Nice & Wavy said:
I think whatever you were doing before you came to LHCF seems to work for you. I wouldn't go to far from what you've already done. Stick with what works.

I agree. From looking at your hair it does not look like you need to change a thing, it looks very healthy and shiny. And it's at a terrific length too!

This is an interesting post. I have 3 something hair with some 4 in there somewhere and. I've gained trememdous growth since really sticking to a regime in the last 6 mos but I've started noticing within the last few weeks since I've started overnight conditioning my hair with oil before shampooing, that although my hair feels soft and silky, it also looks very thin and stringy. I'm not having any breakage and barely any shedding since joining this forum. I do a strength test on my strands when they shed and my strands are very hard to break when I pull them, yet my hair just feels fragile to me for some reason - especially after I flat ironed it for the first time in months for Easter. I'm almost terrified to comb my hair with or without conditioner in it at this point. The only thing that I can contribute this change to is the prepoo/oil condtioning before washing - that's really the only thing I've started doing differently in recent weeks. I precondition my hair with olive oil and amla oil. I'm thinking that olive oil may be too heavy for my hair even though I was it out. My hair never responded well to a lot of oil, but I can't give up coconut for shine, even though it makes my hair feel hard if I put it on while wet. I think I'm just going to go back to shampoo and deep conditioning only and leave the oils for periodic hot oil treatmeants only.

Nice & Wavy said:

Nice & Wavy :p ok, I guess you're always right, I am going back to basics. Thanks!!:)

deontaer said:
This is an interesting post. I have 3 something hair with some 4 in there somewhere and. I've gained trememdous growth since really sticking to a regime in the last 6 mos but I've started noticing within the last few weeks since I've started overnight conditioning my hair with oil before shampooing, that although my hair feels soft and silky, it also looks very thin and stringy. I'm not having any breakage and barely any shedding since joining this forum. I do a strength test on my strands when they shed and my strands are very hard to break when I pull them, yet my hair just feels fragile to me for some reason - especially after I flat ironed it for the first time in months for Easter. I'm almost terrified to comb my hair with or without conditioner in it at this point. The only thing that I can contribute this change to is the prepoo/oil condtioning before washing - that's really the only thing I've started doing differently in recent weeks. I precondition my hair with olive oil and amla oil. I'm thinking that olive oil may be too heavy for my hair even though I was it out. My hair never responded well to a lot of oil, but I can't give up coconut for shine, even though it makes my hair feel hard if I put it on while wet. I think I'm just going to go back to shampoo and deep conditioning only and leave the oils for periodic hot oil treatmeants only.

Is wierd but most of 3b/c are having almost the same kind of problems. I guess we do have something in common

glossyxlipz said:
Hey La Flaca :wave:. I have 3 something hair and guess what, I cant do anything that you mentioned as well (except for the oils. My hair eats it right up). Most of the things you listed would seriously make my hair limp and look greasy. Also if I put too much product in, my head will stink. That is a problem for me because I tend to be heavy handed with my products.

I dont know if it has to do with the hair type but just know that you are not alone.

Well, I guess you hair is a lot like mine and I am heavy handed with products too:(

I think that my hair is just type 3 combo. I see some A, B, and C!

1. I hate oil in my hair. I use a lot of leave-in so that 's more than enough for me. Oils seems to weigh my hair down and take all the body away. It makes it seem heavy.:perplexed Every now and then when I flat iron I put just a tab of some shine serum (especially when it's humid outside), but that's all I can handle. When I do that, I have to wash it sooner than usual.

2. I can't cowash because my hair still feels dirty. It feels softer, but it's still dirty.

3. I'm still new here, but I can't for the life of me figure out why I would prepoo with oils just before I wash it out. :confused: (Probably because I hate oily hair.:perplexed ) It seems like I would have to use some super clarifying shampoo to get it out. PM me if you have been successful at this with type 3 hair.

4. I can't apply anything to my scalp either. If i do I feel greasy and my hair needs to be wahsed more often than I have time to do it.

5. Buns cause breakage for me too. Loose ponytails are ok, but I have to be very careful about how tight my ponytails/buns are and what my ends are pinned with.

Just keep doing what you've been doing. Your hair is BEAUTIFUL!

Hey, I’m type 3 b/c and my hair doesn’t like cowashes either. For some reason I feel dirty, like too much gunk is on my scalp when I do. I can’t take a lot of product on my hair either, it just sits there and makes my hair look lifeless and dull. I had to come to terms with the fact that my natural hair does not like oil, even though my relaxed head of hair loved olive oil. I want to use the natural oils and butters but the ones I tried just do not work for me (except coconut oil).

Another thing that many here rave about that I just recently discovered (this morning) doesn’t work for me are ACV rinses. Maybe this is best for relaxed heads and I just missed that point being too eager to jump on the band wagon since people raved about it.

I sometimes feel like I don’t have a thorough enough regiment as some of the ladies here have. I want to try and incorporate so many different things into my regiment, but I guess my hair just likes simplicity.

Your hair is gorgeous so I would just keep doing what you are doing.

DivaStyle said:
I think that my hair is just type 3 combo. I see some A, B, and C!

1. I hate oil in my hair. I use a lot of leave-in so that 's more than enough for me. Oils seems to weigh my hair down and take all the body away. It makes it seem heavy.:perplexed Every now and then when I flat iron I put just a tab of some shine serum (especially when it's humid outside), but that's all I can handle. When I do that, I have to wash it sooner than usual.

2. I can't cowash because my hair still feels dirty. It feels softer, but it's still dirty.

3. I'm still new here, but I can't for the life of me figure out why I would prepoo with oils just before I wash it out. :confused: (Probably because I hate oily hair.:perplexed ) It seems like I would have to use some super clarifying shampoo to get it out. PM me if you have been successful at this with type 3 hair.

4. I can't apply anything to my scalp either. If i do I feel greasy and my hair needs to be wahsed more often than I have time to do it.

5. Buns cause breakage for me too. Loose ponytails are ok, but I have to be very careful about how tight my ponytails/buns are and what my ends are pinned with.

Just keep doing what you've been doing. Your hair is BEAUTIFUL!

Divastyle I've been trying to figure this out as well, i was too confused as to how to even try it and I thought wow it would take me all day to was that ou:ohwell:

MissScarlett said:
Divastyle I've been trying to figure this out as well, i was too confused as to how to even try it and I thought wow it would take me all day to was that ou:ohwell:

I think people do it to prevent the shampoo from stripping the hair too much.

Sar-I said:
I think people do it to prevent the shampoo from stripping the hair too much.

But that's kinda what I want the shampoo to do.:confused: I want it to strip all the junk off of my hair and then I replenish it with conditioners after it's been cleaned. If I just keep coating on top of coating...I don't know. :confused: If it works for them, great, but that would probably be like co-washing for me...not good.:nono:

I think my hair is 3b, though I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway, my hair LOVES cowashes. I've been doing them for a couple of years now nearly every day. I use shampoo once a week or so.

Now, oils are a problem. They make my hair crunchy and make it feel awful. There is one exception, which is coconut oil. I use it right before washing my hair. Olive oil is the WORST.

I don't DC anymore.

My hair can't take too much protein. There have been times when I removed any product that had protein from my regimen and my hair thrived. These days, I just keep an eye on how much protein are in my products. It seems like milk protein is really the best for my hair. I never use heavy protein treatments.

I cannot go days without detangling. If I don't detangle frequently, my hair gets very knotted up and then I lose a lot of hair and get breakage trying to get the tangles out. I have to regularly, preferably every day, get any shed hair out.

I cannot put a lot of products on my hair all at once. I try to keep it really simple. Too much product dries my hair out, even the ones that are supposed to be moisturizing.

destiny616 said:
i don't know if it has anything to do with your hair type, it may be an individual thing

I am not a 3, there is nothing 3ish about my hair, I am a true 4a and my does not like many of the techniques and products favored by this board

1. i can't cowash, leads to build up, mushy hair and breakage

2. my hair does not like oils at all, i can't seal with them, i can't prepoo with them and i can't add them to my conditioners, i end up with dry crunchy hair

3. i can not moisturize daily, doing so weighs my hair down

I'm a 4a with some 3c bits mixed in but these things don't work for me either

I'm 3 something and my hair hates oil and anything heavy. It will act a fool until I wash it out. I am relaxed and I tried cowashing and man that was a mess. Maybe I did it wrong or something. But I have seen a difference with prepooing with coconut oil.

I can't put any oil on my scalp and my hair also will stink with certain products.

I am begining to see a common theme here.

I feel you on that. I need to remove all of the gunk from my hair too, that’s why I neither prepoo nor cowash. Cowashing especially, It left me feeling so dirty afterwards.

DivaStyle said:
But that's kinda what I want the shampoo to do.:confused: I want it to strip all the junk off of my hair and then I replenish it with conditioners after it's been cleaned. If I just keep coating on top of coating...I don't know. :confused: If it works for them, great, but that would probably be like co-washing for me...not good.:nono:

I'm in the three family and my hair hates oils and heavy product. I have to use like 1-2 drops of oil to seal my ends and my hair still ends up a greasy mess. I have to wash hair every 3-4 days to preserve my sexy.

Cowashing is a no no for me too...overmoisturized mushy hair :look: but DC is the bomb.

Cleve_gryl said:
I'm in the three family and my hair hates oils and heavy product. I have to use like 1-2 drops of oil to seal my ends and my hair still ends up a greasy mess. I have to wash hair every 3-4 days to preserve my sexy.

Cowashing is a no no for me too...overmoisturized mushy hair :look: but DC is the bomb.

same here, less is more for my hair, I guess the three family likes to be cleaned :perplexed

La Flaca...I'm glad that you re taking heed to the responses the ladies are giving. Your hair was awesome from the first time you came on LHCF so, changing things will cause problems if your hair loved what you were doing before.

It can be very overwhelming on here and hear about so many new products and then go out and buy everything and use it all, but as we can see, what's good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander.

When I was in transition, I found that my hair loved pre poo oil treatments...not now. I also found that my hair didn't like CW then....loves it now.

I'm wondering if you all that don't like CW use the right conditioners for your hair. Conditioners like suave, white rain, etc. my hair hates...but some peoples hair loves it. My hair really love all natural conditioners I'm finding out, and because of that, my hair is really acting right now. The one that I use now which I absolutly love for my 3b/3c hair is Nourish Spa by Trader Joes. It makes my hair come alive and it is not weighed down, hard nor does it feel dirty. I luv this stuff!

Well, hope you all find what works for you.

Blessings.

Back