3 years natural....

Aviah

And not much bu experience to show for it.

Chopped a whole bunch off in September, its now cbl in the front and mid neck in the back, a graduated bob basically. What appears in the crown of my head two months later? SSK... what's still there? holes in the strands... splits... getting really fed up with this hair of mine. I love my curl pattern and all I can do with ti style wise, but it never seems to get longer without any problems. I was about 3 inches from bra strap this time last year, and was in need of a trim though it might not have been strikingly obvious to other people...

So what now? I'm less adverse to relaxing as I used to be, but I still really don't want to do it on my hair. I had just figured out my relaxed hair when I decided to go natural, I had few splits, no SSK's no holes in the strands, nothing. It was growing, and getting healthier than what it was when I abused it... So what now?:ohwell:

Your hair looks lovely in your Fotki...I'm sorry that you are having such a hard time with your hair...Are you thinking of relaxing?

Not really, I really love my natural hair, I'm just thinking it was easier for me to retain healthy length when relaxed... I just don't get it.

Well I just wanted to say...now of course it's your decision BUT, I have seen many naturals on this board get frustrated with their natural hair, RELAX and then after a few months to a year, they get frustrated with relaxed hair and transition back to their natural hair.

I've said all that to say, maybe you just need a break from your hair. Have you ever thought about getting a sew in or something along those lines?

BTW, your hair is BEAUTIFUL! :grin:

I know how you feel, I am three years natural now and I struggle with splits.
I have found that I can't really wear my hair out for longer than week. For the last 3 months I have had my hair on lock down. I cornrow it every three weeks or so

when I take the braids out, I use bentonite clay in my hair. I make a thick paste apply it throughly sit under the dryer until it hardens then rinse it out. My hair is clean and tangle free. then I remove all the shed hairs and braid it back up again. I have notice it's finally started to grow past CBL but it's a very slow process.

I am losely doing LongHairDon'tCare2011's method. She has some great tutorial videos and 4ab natural hair down her back!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:

I was natural 4 years ago, then went back to a relaxer, then a month later I transitioned back to natural. It's a personal choice I wish you the best of luck on your hair journey!

Last edited:
I was going to suggest straightening as well.

Aviah, how do you normally wear your hair? I understand where BlackOnyx488 is coming from regarding not being able to wear her hair out for longer than one week. I am in the danger zone if my hair is unstraightened and I wear it "out" (as in a twist-out or braid-out) for more than three days, and even that's pushing it. Wearing it out for two days maximum is the most ideal scenario.

Your hair is beautiful & I do wish you the best of luck because those splits and single-strand knots are the dickens (especially those ssks--I HATE THEM!)

I was also going to say to straighten out your hair to combat the ssk (the debil). I had to do two light trims this month b/c ssks & split ends and was really considering to texlaxing my hair b/c of them. So I feel your pain Aviah (((hugs)))

Your hair is soooo pretttyyyyy :love:

I would rollerset to keep the hair straight. I roller set my hair every Sunday and I have had great progress.

I agree with the others - your hair is very pretty! How are you wearing your hair at night? As my hair has grown, I have started getting more SSKs, but I believe it was from additional friction and me wearing my hair totally out at night even with a satin bonnet on. Since I've started pineappling my hair at night after moisturizing I notice less SSKs, which I think is because I'm not letting my hair smush against my head with as much friction.

EllePixie, what is pineappling?:look: Back on topic: This is a great thread, I'm looking forward to more answers.

EllePixie, what is pineappling?:look: Back on topic: This is a great thread, I'm looking forward to more answers.

Pineappling is basically putting your hair up in a high ponytail (or multiple ponytails) in order to preserve your curls at night, and it also stretches out your hair some. But even if I'm not shooting for second day hair, I still pineapple to prevent tangles and shrinking. I did a video on my YT as well -

YouTube - Night Routine: The Multi-Pineapple for Short Hair Tutorial

your hair is beautiful

i was stuck at APL for more than a year. it did not move. i found out my hair loves low manipulation

i only comb it when i wash it once a week and i fluff it during the week and i put it in a messy bun and i'm retaining so much length. i have alot of hair but my strands are thing and can't handle much manipulation. the front doesn't retain length as well as other parts because i still brush it everyday but that is unavoidable

maybe you should wear a weave or braids for a while.leaving hair out causes more SSKs
so weaving it up may help

Well I just wanted to say...now of course it's your decision BUT, I have seen many naturals on this board get frustrated with their natural hair, RELAX and then after a few months to a year, they get frustrated with relaxed hair and transition back to their natural hair.

I've said all that to say, maybe you just need a break from your hair. Have you ever thought about getting a sew in or something along those lines?

BTW, your hair is BEAUTIFUL! :grin:

Thank you, but since it was cut its been in braids most of the time. Only within the past 4 weeks have I had it out consistently.

Could you perhaps lightly straighten your hair to deal with this problem?

While my hair has been out, I've been flat ironing it more, however I'm getting heat damage now, despite dousing in heat protectant. Problem is having to retouches because its so short when it poofs it looks pretty stupid (think bat wings at the sides of my head).
I was also going to say to straighten out your hair to combat the ssk (the debil). I had to do two light trims this month b/c ssks & split ends and was really considering to texlaxing my hair b/c of them. So I feel your pain Aviah (((hugs)))

I don't mind doing this, however because my hair grows slowly I'm not sure if this will simply stop any progress in its tracks lol (trimming often).
Your hair is soooo pretttyyyyy :love:

I would rollerset to keep the hair straight. I roller set my hair every Sunday and I have had great progress.

I don't mind rollersets, but my hair has to grow some more to hold the rollers first:blush:

your hair is beautiful

i was stuck at APL for more than a year. it did not move. i found out my hair loves low manipulation

i only comb it when i wash it once a week and i fluff it during the week and i put it in a messy bun and i'm retaining so much length. i have alot of hair but my strands are thing and can't handle much manipulation. the front doesn't retain length as well as other parts because i still brush it everyday but that is unavoidable

maybe you should wear a weave or braids for a while.leaving hair out causes more SSKs
so weaving it up may help

As I mentioned I have been doing this, braids seem to be my only way out till this things grows... I just get weird if I cannot access my hair properly, its something I want to break myself out of...

Thanks guys. But what causes this "holey hair"?

Do you think your hair might be dry? Or that you need to moisturize often? I've been trying to attack my hair in that way. I deep condition 2x - 3x a week, and I use Porosity control once a week or 2x. I have fine hair so I need to ensure that my cuticles lay flat.

I'm split prone. I have a lot in the front, but not as much as I had from the summer. I know where you are coming from, OP

OP, you have such lovely hair. I know what you mean though. I think rollersetting (with medium rollers) may be helpful, that way you are cutting down on heat and manipulation. Also, what is your routine?

Do you think your hair might be dry? Or that you need to moisturize often? I've been trying to attack my hair in that way. I deep condition 2x - 3x a week, and I use Porosity control once a week or 2x. I have fine hair so I need to ensure that my cuticles lay flat.

I'm split prone. I have a lot in the front, but not as much as I had from the summer. I know where you are coming from, OP

I'm not sure I have time to DC 2-3x a week. I can try it, but its going to end up expensive and being a student, that may not happen. I think it may be from combing when wet (you know, something about stretching out the strands when wet and fragile then they dry with weak spots?) My hair is dry, but not chronically. I'll try to up the moisture somehow...

OP, you have such lovely hair. I know what you mean though. I think rollersetting (with medium rollers) may be helpful, that way you are cutting down on heat and manipulation. Also, what is your routine?

My hair in the back is too short to rollerset, but when it gets longer I want to start trying it...

Pineappling is basically putting your hair up in a high ponytail (or multiple ponytails) in order to preserve your curls at night, and it also stretches out your hair some. But even if I'm not shooting for second day hair, I still pineapple to prevent tangles and shrinking. I did a video on my YT as well -

YouTube - Night Routine: The Multi-Pineapple for Short Hair Tutorial

I have been bad in leaving my hair out at night, partly because of laziness, partly because I get fed up with it, because it happens anyway...
I'm going to try to be better with this as well as upping the moisture and PSing

i peeped your fotki and your hair looks UH-MAZINGly healthy and thick.

(draws out gun)

put your hands up and step away from the Dark & Lovely Relaxer box please .. nice and slow here Ma'am, don't dry anything funny or try and be a hero !

:)

I agree with the others - your hair is very pretty! How are you wearing your hair at night? As my hair has grown, I have started getting more SSKs, but I believe it was from additional friction and me wearing my hair totally out at night even with a satin bonnet on. Since I've started pineappling my hair at night after moisturizing I notice less SSKs, which I think is because I'm not letting my hair smush against my head with as much friction.
Thanks. I was looking for the pineapple with shorter hair. Mine isn't long enough for the one ponytail at the top

i peeped your fotki and your hair looks UH-MAZINGly healthy and thick.

(draws out gun)

put your hands up and step away from the Dark & Lovely Relaxer box please .. nice and slow here Ma'am, don't dry anything funny or try and be a hero !

:)

Lol, my earlier post stated I wasn't going to relax it. Thank you for your comment.

I just want to stop these holes in my strands, but I've always had them. They've just gotten more common since I stopped trimming it every two seconds.

Back