3 months of Crazy Shedding……Ayurvedic Powders is anyone still using them for sheddin

Missigirl

I was having some horrible shedding for about 3 months.:sad: I tried stepping up my Aphogee 2 min reconstructor treatment……well this was not a good idea considering I had just used protein the week before. :nono: With all of the shedding I was not thinking straight, :dazed:

I ended up with the worst matted mess you could imagine I piled on coconut oil (I think some of the matting came from forgetting to add my coconut oil to my pre-poo.)

Which meant I combed out more hair than I was shedding. I prayed and literally ran out:cycle: and bought some (Roux Porosity Control ph 4.5 corrector conditioner gray bottle and Nutrine Garlic Shampoo for excessive hair loss white bottle with green writing) this slowed down the shedding so this week I did a retouch, which reduced the shedding to normal. :woohoo:

To keep from loosing all of this hard work of hair growing(3 years) I also ordered some Shikakai Power, Aritha Powder ,Tulsi Powder , Neem Powder, Amla Powder, and Bhringraj Powder to wash my hair. I was wondering if anyone is still using these powders and the best way to use them to reduce shedding and add to growth.

My goal is (WL) waist length by April 2010. I am planning on finishing my hair book then also.

Re: 3 months of Crazy Shedding……Ayurvedic Powders is anyone still using them for shed

have you tried ayurvedic rinses?

Re: 3 months of Crazy Shedding……Ayurvedic Powders is anyone still using them for shed

people say shikakai is supposed to prevent hair fall and really reduce shedding

your hair is really nice btw

Thank you Sharifeh!! That is what I have been reading.......I was hoping some of us are using them and can give me some ideas of how to use them correctly.

Bump for more responses.....

bump for more replies..............

Bumping for more responses.

First of all, your hair is gorgeous!
I henna/indigo'd for the first time about 3 weeks ago and I also pre-wash with amla-shikakai oil. I didn't shed a whole before this, but I have noticed a reduction since the henna/amla/shikakai. HTH

Thanks Lola!! I love your natural curls in your avatar!!!!.........

So you like using the powders???

The shedding is what I'm trying to get and keep control of......this sounds exactly what I'm looking for...................

So far, so good. I was hesitant about henna at first because I'd read how it loosened the curl pattern, and it did but temporarily. For the first 2 -3 days after the henna, the shedding just stopped, kind of creepy actually. The henna apparently causes the scalp to tighten around the hair folicle making hair less likely to fall. There is some sort of "clear" henna that has the conditioning properties w/o the color--I don't know much about it, but maybe that's something you want to look into.

With the amla/skikakai, it think it made my curls more defined. HTH :grin:

Fyi, The is clear henna is called cassia

Here's some shikakai info I got from another thread. I've never used it myself though:

shikakai = use primarily to cleanse. I have never used this alone. I have never boiled it and made tea or rinse
When I want to cleanse without using 'poo: Add couple of tablespoons or 3 to whatever condish I'm using to co-wash, stir in until well blended, then apply to dry dirty hair, cover with plastic, no heat for at last 15 minutes, rinse thoroughly, I'm done and ready to proceed to leave-ins, oils, etc. and airdry hair. Note: if you wish, you can do another condish without the shikakai for extra conditioning, but I usually don't . . .

Lola.....this is the information I wanted...... I hope it works as well for relaxed hair as it does for natural.

I was searching high and low....in the threads....... thanks Sharifeh!!!! I will go and read this thread.

I have less shedding when I henna, I have not done it in a while and have definitely notice a difference...

That is my reason for using the powders at least for a while. I might use them during my shedding season so it won't be so bad.

You have beautiful hair!

I just made a mix of Hello Hydration, coconut oil, Shikakai, and Bhrami and Cera Repair pro4 that I intend to use as a co-wash for the next 6 months as I usually shed in the spring.

Garlic oil (from punctured pills) and aloe applied to the scalp overnight has ALWAYS stopped my shedding in its tracks!

HTH

Thank you Sharifeh this is what I needed, my powders came in today since I just did a retouch last week I am going to wait 2 week before trying them!!!

You have beautiful hair!

I just made a mix of Hello Hydration, coconut oil, Shikakai, and Bhrami and Cera Repair pro4 that I intend to use as a co-wash for the next 6 months as I usually shed in the spring.

Garlic oil (from punctured pills) and aloe applied to the scalp overnight has ALWAYS stopped my shedding in its tracks!

Thank you Taz007...........I was so despirate I put a clove of garlic in my blender and mixed up and put in some shea butter and coconut oil....I felt bad for my DH because the first thing I asked him was...........Can you smell that? Being a good DH while choking and eyes watering he said no not much :spinning:.....I went to church smelling like Olive Garden:lachen:. When I got home I had to wash it out.

The kind of shedding I was experincing I would have went swimming :diver: in a pool of garlic to stop the shedding.

Maka and Brahmi powders are good for reducing hair fall.

Thank you Sharifeh this is what I needed, my powders came in today since I just did a retouch last week I am going to wait 2 week before trying them!!!

Thank you Taz007...........I was so despirate I put a clove of garlic in my blender and mixed up and put in some shea butter and coconut oil....I felt bad for my DH because the first thing I asked him was...........Can you smell that? Being a good DH while choking and eyes watering he said no not much :spinning:.....I went to church smelling like Olive Garden:lachen:. When I got home I had to wash it out.

The kind of shedding I was experincing I would have went swimming :diver: in a pool of garlic to stop the shedding.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: Such a good DH!

He is a good DH :yep:.....he puts up with all of my weird hair recipes.:spinning:

I can so relate to your desperation! I did a touch-up and had some scary shedding of long strands coming out. I panicked and wanted to pile on the protein, but rememberd garlic works.

Did it help with your shedding at all, even though you had to wash it out?

My DH had to put up with my Olive Garden head too, but luckily, he LOVES the smell of garlic. Here's what I put in mine:

Well, actually, my Lebanese mother in law made it. She makes this garlic infused salad oil with 3-4 cloves of garlic ( she minces it), olive oil, rosemary and a pinch of cinnamon. I had her make me a batch, and she just assumed we were eating another salad :lachen:( I told DH he better not tell her I poured it on my head). I did add coconut oil to the mixture, and kid you not, it stopped my shedding right in it's tracks. I left my in my hair overnight. Yes, my head was a stinky, marinated, mess when I woke up, but I just followed up with a yummy smelling diluted poo and DC.

Sorry I don't have info on the powders, but am interested too.

Hersheygurl,

The next weekend I did a retouch and had very little shedding. I bought some of that Garlic Shampoo, but it gave me the worst tangles ever even after pre-pooing. I went 2 weeks without washing my hair. So last week I tried a mix of ayu powders I decided to try making the paste which gave me a squeky clean that was a little scarry and I ended up having to comb more so I lost more hair.

This weekend I'm going to pre-poo with coconut oil and try making a weaker tea with brahaj, amla, and maka. I'm going to deep condition with coconut oil, honey and shea butter and follow with porosity control, because I am in the coconut oil challenge. I will keep eveyone posted.

what are you taking internally? vitamin wise.

Last edited:

I take a boat load of vits. I take 1 olive leaf, 2 garlic pills, 1 hair, nails and skin, 1 magnesium/calcum, 1 iron, 1 vit C and 1 vit D3 at night.

Update.....I went back to what works for me minus the protein. After taking a closer look I was not just shedding I was also experiencing some breakage. So I have remolved protein treatments for now. I am trying to listen to my hair and only add protein as needed. This thinned me out a little but because of all of you and your knowledge I did not suffer a set back. Thank the Lord......and my cousins......:yep:

Missigirl,
I just saw this post. I use the Amla, Brahmi, Shikakai powders and make a tea with water and powders running through my coffee maker. I saw that you combed your hair after the powders, as you saw that is not a good thing at all. I use the tea to rinse and manipulate in my hair with warm water twice. Then I follow that with a good deep conditioning treatment. I only try to comb my hair after I deep condition. The powders do work, for growth, shedding and premature gray hairs. I have a few in my early 30s and over time a few of them became a dark brown. I hope that you try them again, but it also sounds like you found what works for you. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Karameldiva978,

Thank you very much for this information. I was just having a terrible time. I think I was pre-pooing too long and not deep conditioning long enough. I know it sounds crazy but I detangle much better if I deep condition overnight. Since I have a box of powders I would love to use them the correct way I am pming you now about them.

Back