2nd Unsuccessful Twist Out Natural 4a - HELP Pls?

BlackDiamond21

I am not sure what I am doing wrong ladies... :perplexed

So last night, for the 2nd time, I tired Naptural85's best twist out method using her Shea butter recipes & Hawaiian Silky 14n1. The first time I did it, it didn't work b/c I based my hair with her shea oil blend and then added the shea pomade on top. I ended up with pretty much the same hair result as today only much, much oiler :cry:!!! This time I based with HS14n1 on freshly washed and DC damp hair, added the shea pomade on top of that and sealed with the shea oil blend.

The ringlet pattern closest to my scalp in certain areas came out so pretty but everywhere and all over, my ends were a frizzy, UNDEFINED hot mess :swearing:! Not one twist had ends that showed the twisted ringlet pattern even though my ends were twisted up, I mean down to the very, very ends. I even pinned them back to help stretch the hair so they wouldn't shrink.

I will say my hair is moist and oily which isnt bad for the puff I had to throw it back into. I just misted with water to get more curls to pop and shrink the hair and thew on the puff band - THANK GAWD for a staple style :cupidarrow:

This my 2nd time trying twist outs on damp hair... Am I ignoring the obvious? Damp twist outs on 4a hair don't work? Or is that twist outs w/o gel don't work? Maybe it's me it's just simply me :drunk:?

My 1st & only successful twist out :lick: was done on blow dried hair using gel in the mix to get individual mini twists to stay but I never untwisted them until I was ready to wash, so I have no idea what that would look like twisted out...

I am honestly hoping to avoid having to blow out my hair to get a successful twist out or one day when I get the courage, braid out.

BTW - Just noticed in these pics my hair looks seriously highlighted with color but it's nothing more than sitting on the beach :think:, I haven't dyed my hair in over a year and half and with two trims since then so I don't think it is left over color but maybe so... & sorry the pics aren't great but I was tying to avoid my face in them - it's embarrassing my hair looks this bad :sekret:

BD21

Attachments

• IMAG0574.jpg
    IMAG0574.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 274
  • IMAG0594.jpg
    IMAG0594.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 256
  • IMAG0590.jpg
    IMAG0590.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 245
  • IMAG0591.jpg
    IMAG0591.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 223
  • IMAG0583.jpg
    IMAG0583.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 252
I was watching a lot of her vids this weekend - I believe she does her twist outs on dry, stretched hair, lightly misted with water, and her shea butter. I know she mentioned dry stretched hair so as to not have you natural curl pattern dominate.

I think she uses curl formers to stretch, but you can braid or band your hair instead of using the blowdryer.

Last edited:
I would try again, using some type of holding product and making sure that my hair is completely dry when I take the twists out.

There is an art to twistouts IMO and it's something that you kind of pick up on. The concept is basic but the results can be unpredictable. I don't use a heavy oil or butter when I do my twistouts. It will weigh my hair down and the pattern won't set. What works best for me to set a pattern in my hair is a gel. It doesn't have to be a firm hold gel either, but gel sets the pattern perfectly. I also do them on damp hair. I will wrap my hair in a microfiber turban (you can do this with a tshirt too) for about an hour then style my hair. I use a lighter oil to seal my hair, then put some gel on it (not a lot) and twist it up.

I also think you need a product with hold.

hawiian silk 14 in 1 is glycerine based (from what I remember) and at least for me would just make my hair frizz.

also I cant twist my hair with only shea butter and achieve definition for more than 5 mins lol

for my twistouts I do on either wet or dry hair and use a creamy LI under a gel or other twisting product

for my twistouts I do on either wet or dry hair and use a creamy LI under a gel or other twisting product

SJ - What kind of a creamy LI please? :yep:

You really gave me something to think about re: my constant/daily frizz and my daily juice application (HS 14n1 & S Curl LIA)... :nono:

When my hair was shorter, the method Nap85 uses always resulted in a frizzy mess. Now that my hair is longer, flat twists do yield great twist-outs.

I understand you are trying to duplicate her method, but have you tried other methods of twisting for a twist-out (other than mini twists)?

When shorter hair is flat twisted, the resulting effect can very well be a frizzy afro because you are separating the the hair (more than when doing a single twist) as you remove the twist.

I tried her method(s) and for me it/they didn't work becuase we have two different hair types. Ihave 4 A/B. Try to find some folks on youtube to follow that have your hair type. Good luck. My hair doesn't like to be twisted wet only on air dried hair. It took me a whilllllllle to get the twistouts but I finally got it down. Practice and you will be fine.

BlackDiamond21 I use Hair Veda Whipped ends or whipped clouds or Pura Body muru muru moisture milk.

I used to use Oyin hair dew but since finding thicker leave ins my hair is much happier :grin:

also what gives me a nice twist out is shea moisture curling souffle under a gel

glad I was of some help :yep:

sometimes after I have washed and conditioned or conditioner wash my hair and put in ponytail twists, I will let my hair get about 90% dry, then I'll take out the ponytail twists, retwist and put in bantu knots. I find that the twists give me definition, and the knots give me the shaping, especially if I'm wearing my hair up. If I don't do twist, my ponytail will just flop and look real crazy.

I agree with natural2008 . One thing I find frustrating about these natural hair boards is that people (not you personally, I see it a lot) will try to follow and do someones methods that have a clearly different type hair than theirs and expect the same results.

I did it too when I started on my HHJ too but I quickly woke up.

I have 4B/C hair I will not have the same results as a 3B/C person. I am subscribed to nap85 too because she has great ideas and love her styles. As a matter of fact I'm sitting with henna in my hair now prepping to do a set of not so mini twists this week . I got the idea from her but her technique will not work for me. I tested the twists out yesterday and the one I did with a dab of Ecostyler gel came out much sleeker and held better than the one with Cantu shea or anything else.

So I will be twisting and gelling. It also takes time to get the hang of a good twist or twist out mine used to come out crazy looking until I found what works for me.

I agree with natural2008 . One thing I find frustrating about these natural hair boards is that people (not you personally, I see it a lot) will try to follow and do someones methods that have a clearly different type hair than theirs and expect the same results.

I did it too when I started on my HHJ too but I quickly woke up.

I have 4B/C hair I will not have the same results as a 3B/C person. I am subscribed to nap85 too because she has great ideas and love her styles. As a matter of fact I'm sitting with henna in my hair now prepping to do a set of not so mini twists this week . I got the idea from her but her technique will not work for me. I tested the twists out yesterday and the one I did with a dab of Ecostyler gel came out much sleeker and held better than the one with Cantu shea or anything else.

So I will be twisting and gelling. It also takes time to get the hang of a good twist or twist out mine used to come out crazy looking until I found what works for me.

msdeevee - Girl i thought it was just me. I was saying to myself why doesn't my hair workout like Nap85, lol :lol:. Her ideas are great but I had to try different methods because hers don't work for me.

For me no matter how I do it or what I put in it, twist/braid outs do not work for me unless the twists/braids have been left in for a few days.

IA, stay away from the glycerin to avoid frizz.
When my hair was shorter, my best twistout came from twisting on damp hair. I use Garnier Triple Nutrition and then layer it with a light oil (grapeseed) and a cone condish (Aussie moist). I rock the twists for a couple of days to get the most definition.

(But I personally like to fluff it out for a bigger look)

I think taking out the glycerine heavy product as a leave in and adding something with more hold will give you better results. Im definitely no expert and Im still transitioning, but just my 2 cents :)
Have you tried kimmaytube's leave in as your leave in instead of the hawaiian silky? Cantu shea butter is a cheap creamy leave in a lot of naturals seem to use. Also Shea Moisure deep treatment mask seems to be a popular twisting product. I like Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing smoothie or Shea Moisture Curl and Shine Milk as a leave in. Ive heard nothing but good things about Keracare naturals twisting cream. As I am twisting cream gets pretty good ratings too.

Another option to consider would be braidouts instead of twisouts or learning to 3 strand twist...some people get more definition from those. I have nowhere near mastered the twistout or twist and curl, but I notice they are looking better and better with more definition as I try different product combos. Im also pumped that my natural hair takes on the curl pattern Im looking for sooo much better than the relaxed ends. I daydream about beautiful twistouts one day lol.

I'm 4b/c, and well defined twist outs for me are done on wet hair using a twisting butter (Miss Jessie's curly pudding, MJ curl meringue, or Camille Rose twist butter are the ones that work for me) I can't use just a shea butter/ oil mix, and my hair hates gels. I hope you are able to find something that works for you, but just keep trying with different products.

Ok. I use a little Eco styler + KeraCares Twist and Define cream on dry hair. My twistouts come out perfect every time. Hawaiian 14 n 1 is greasy and contains mineral oil. Product has a lot to do with how your hair comes out. Try it on dry hair, with a Twist cream or even just Eco styler Gel with a little EVOO. It should come out better.

My damp or wet twistouts are a mess as well. I use fekkai glossing creme & coconut oil on blown out hair to get the smoother & fluffy results I prefer.

I know how you feel. It took me a bit to realize how to get my twistouts to even look good enough to wear out. If it wasn't for Nonie 's explanation/video of another way of 2-strand twisting, I don't think I would have gotten the hang of it. For me, a creamy butter or LI, then layered with Eco-styler gel does best for me. My avatar is a recent twist out done with SM curl enhancing smoothie layered with blue eco-styler gel.
ETA: My hair is usually twisted a day or two after wearing WnGs, so its dried hair all the way for me.

Last edited:
BlackDiamond21, if I did a twist-out with product, my hair would be a flop too.

I usually twist stretched hair w/o any product. Then after a few washes (even one will do) and allowing hair to fully dry (the wash could even be a CW), my hair sets beautifully and I get a very defined twist-out. (I don't do them much so only have pics of my hair from a few years ago.)

This was a twist-out done on bare hair:
FirstEverTwistOut-vi.jpg

A friend then recommended a concoction of beeswax, a cocobutter stick, S Curl gel and I tried a twist-out with all the gunk in my hair. These were the results :lachen:
coctioncocoabutterbeeswaxscurl-vi.jpg

So I suggest you DC your hair and allow it to dry in plaits so it gets nicely stretched and becomes easy to part. Twist it using the method I show here and then do what I do, which is CW the twists when done to get them to shrink and fatten up and also so that the weight of the water gets them to hand down straight.
TwistsBeforeandAfter-vi.jpg

This way you can sport the twists for a day or so since they will look nice hanging down straight. That will also allow them to dry fully. I suggest sleeping with plastic cap on to infuse moisture into them since you didn't use any product on them. In the morning, take cap off while you get ready and have b/f and then when hair is somewhat dry (after the greenhouse effect of the cap), carefully undo the twists and you'll see perfect definition.

When I do my twist-outs, I start with wet/damp, freshly DCed hair and use my conditioner of choice (right now, it's Giovanni Nutrafix or Nature's Gate Aloe Conditioner) and seal the ends with Blue Magic Coconut Grease. My hair results in tight, highly defined twist-outs.

For the rest of week, I'll just use a little more conditioner to dampen my hair and seal with grease. As the week goes on, my twists become bigger and bigger but my hair remains defined, curly and wavy.

Before I learned that using conditioner would still result in defined twist-out, I used gel. The first gel I experimented with was the Long Aid Activator Gel with Aloe Vera (in the green jar). Then I switched to Kinky-Curly Custard and added glycerin to this. I tried EcoStyler Gel but that left me looking like I had a jheri curl (it was AWFUL!). My hair loves glycerin but it sounds like either glycerin doesn't work well with your hair or the environment you live in doesn't support the use of glycerin, esp. in the Summer.

So if you're looking for product with hold, I would try Kinky-Curly Custard. No glycerin, smells great and gives a defined by soft hold. Only drawback is the cost.

HTH!

Scruples Twisted is a life saving styling product for my type 4 hair. PrettyDimples on yt recommended it,and said she gets rave reviews from clients as well.

I would try it with the Keracare naturals twist & define cream. It gives a really nice hold and the definition of the curls are superb. I use on my hair for braid outs and it last 4 days! I also use it on my daughter's 3c hair.

You've gotten some great advice already, but here's my two cents! I have perfected twisting out my hair. I know what techniques and products I prefer. I have soft hair, that's going to make a difference no matter the curl type similiarities of someone else. Therefore if someone has more coarse hair that can hold a pattern easily, their hair is going to work with just using a heavy butter or oil.

My favorite results come from doing flat twists (about 12-14, NOT straight back though) on wet hair. My favorite product is my Eco-custard mix on tope of olive oil(1:4 ratio of Shea Moisture Enh. Smoothie and Olive or Clear Ecostyler gel). The more gel, the more hold...I personally prefer more hold to make the style last longer. I sometimes will do single large twists on the bottom later if my arms get tired from doing the flattwists.
My second favorite product is Miss Jessie's Meringue. I havent' been using this as much lately because I've been using WEN or COnditioner on wash days and MJ's products will cause residue in the hair eventually if not washed out with shampoo (at least for me). But the key from all of this for me is a HEAVY holding product. My hair is well moisturized from conditioning so I'm not worried about gels causing dryness.

@BlackDiamond21

Keep at it, it takes more than a few tries.

After a month of trying, I finally got a little system:

1. Use Cantu Leave in, Castor Oil, Argan Oil, OR Shea Moisture Creme (in the tub).
2. Open all my things, leave it in front of me. Pour a little oil (s) on the counter for quicker access.

3. I prefer twisting on 90% dry hair. Wet does the job, but I prefer it more than 50% dried. I also stretch it a bit--looks longer!

4. As I section and twist, I dip my finger (very little, a smear) in the leave in creme of my choice, and as I get to the end of the twist, I dip again and keep twisting it ALL THE WAY TO THE END--then seal the end with a little oil. After I finish my whole head I seal all the twists with a thin layer of my oil mixture (oil types vary, but I always have castor in the mix) for shine.

5. One thing thats key to avoiding frayed ends with the twist-out is when twisting, your hair should be detangled. I use a denman and pull it through the section I am about to twist again.

6. It sounds like a lot but I've been doing this two-years now and I feel pretty successful. I wear my hair in twists 60-70% of the time. I prefer them smaller so I can put them in styles, and 2-3 days before wash day I wear it in a twist-out. I used to wear them in twists 90-95% of the time but I have been doing different natural styles lately.

ETA: Caring for ends are so important with a twist regimen or styling. I used to use HE Long term relationship just for the purpose of putting it on my ends but its discontinued. So now I just add a little leave in and oil.

Last edited:
I'm not natural, but have textured hair (If that makes sense). I don't do twistouts but I do braidouts. After many many many fails, I have found a formula that works best for my hair type.

1. I only use a water based leave-in conditioner and sometimes a foam set lotion (My fav is Elasta QP Foam Pump). Anything with heavy oils will weigh down my hair.
2. I do my initial braidout on wet hair
3. I stretch my texturizers to 6ths to 2yrs. So I usually have alot of new growth. Because of this I put lots of braids for my braid out. I section in 4's and per section there are around 6 braids.
4. I use a little oil (very light) after I take the braids out and my hair is dry. For me oil on wet hair is a no no.
5. Try and Try again. Practice makes perfect and you def have to go by your hair type/porosity/texture.

Good Luck!!

Back