2012 Natural Products Challenge

I'm a little bored with my hair so I decided to make an attempt to do a bantu knot out on 3 day hair. I used Aubrey Organics B5 gel and Pura Body Naturals Cupacu Hair Butter (vanilla) on my ends. Praying that it works!

Lita - How is the characteristic of the poppie seed oil? Where do you buy yours?

I'm in!!

1. Current length

I dunno, somewhere in between APL and BSL. When I take my starting pic I'll post it here and you guys can judge.

2. Natural/Relaxed/Textlaxed/Locked/Other

100% Natural!

3. Hair goals for the year.

Well, this pregnancy is beating up my hair, I'm not one of those women whose hair gets lush and full from pregnancy :( sadly. So my main goal is to try my best to keep my hair moisturized and as healthy as possible even though this lil man is sucking the life out of me and my hair.

Lengthwise, my goal is to reach waistlength by the end of the year.

4. Reggie, styles and products that you will be using.

Not sure yet exactly on products, i'm probably going to try several lines. Until the summertime I will do weekly washes, DCs, and wear my hair either straightened for a week or twisted for a week, or in updos for the week.

5. Products/ingredients you will avoid (eg. cones, sulfates, parabens, etc)

Sulfates for sure. Parabens also. I may use cones to style....but doubtful.

I'm in! I've been using all natural products for a few months and I love it.

Current length- front - a smidge past chin, sides - almost apl, back- aulmost bsl
I am natural haired
Goals - to continue improving moisture (always been a prob, but has been working out mmmmuchhhc better lately), to continue improving the overall health of my hair and to retain retain retain ! (would love to be between bsl & mbl by the end of 2012)

Regimen -
Bentonite clay cleanse once a month along with a dc/oil rinse when I take my protective style out
In between, I will rinse, dc and oil treat my twists or braids twice a week using aubrey organics hsr, gpb or wc which I let sit under saran for a while before slapping castor oil and 1 or 2 others (like red palm) and getting under the dryer with it all for a while. I rinse in cold water and pin my twists up and call it a night. Daily, ill spray my hair with a simple mix of water & castor oil and nightly ill spray a little more and wrap saran or cover with some kinda plastic and a couple of scarves. My ends are only down for wash/dc days, otherwise they stay up (even when I spray moisturize/baggy, etc).

I recently ordered some hydrolyzed keratin to try because I also wanted a strong protein treatment like aphogee. I will try adding it to my ao gpb and see how it works. if it does, ill add this step to my monthly big hair day regimen.

Products- aubrey organics hsr, gpb & wc, bentonite clay, various oils (castor, red palm, sunflower are my favorites...but I do like to try others) ...and like I said, I'm gonna try the hydrolyzed keratin and see how/if it works.

Ingredients I will avoid - anything not natural. Chemicals, plastics, parabens, things I can't pronounce, sulfates...I haven't used these ingredients in products in months and my hair is thanking me for it.

Last edited:
Lita, how you are using/liking the Shi-naturals scalp detox. I just received the detox in my BF order and I have very sensitive scalp that itches very easily so would appreciate knowing how it's working for you. TIA.

I'm a little bored with my hair so I decided to make an attempt to do a bantu knot out on 3 day hair. I used Aubrey Organics B5 gel and Pura Body Naturals Cupacu Hair Butter (vanilla) on my ends. Praying that it works!

Lita - How is the characteristic of the poppie seed oil? Where do you buy yours?

greenandchic Hi! The characteristic of the poppie seed-Its expeller pressed straight from the seed..Color clear..Texture is like a very lite serum...Natural ceramide..Its great for sealing/if your hair or skin doesn't like heavy oils...It makes a very nice pre poo & hot oil/washes out nicely..

www.gardenofwisdom.com 8oz cost $6.85

Happy Hair Growing!

1. Current length: TWA - I may get it all shaved off. My hair breaks to the scalp evey year in OCT. I don't know why.
2. Natural/Relaxed/Textlaxed/Locked/Other: Natural
3. Hair goals for the year: Strong, healthy, non - brittle hair. GOAL: get rid of this bald spot forever. I would like my hair to be thick in the back.
4. Regimen
  • Pre-poo with sesame or mustard oil
  • Ayurveda tea rinse or powder wash
  • Conditioner - Shea moisture (use it all)\Giovanni\Food (carmel, yogurt, mayo, eggs)
  • ACV Rinse
  • Drink 8 glasses of water a day
  • Vitamins and Herbs
  • 50% Raw Diet
  • Head Wraps and wings until Easter
5. Products/ingredients you will avoid: Cones, parabens, sulfates

Last edited:
Lita, how you are using/liking the Shi-naturals scalp detox. I just received the detox in my BF order and I have very sensitive scalp that itches very easily so would appreciate knowing how it's working for you. TIA.

hair4today Hi! So far its working out very well..I part my hair in section,apply it to the scalp only,as it runs down I masarge it in (gently),Run warm water over area,it creates a nice lather (really cleans),then I apply my rinse or Dc...A little goes a long way..I haven't had any itches or residue left after my wash is complete.....I have sensitive skin too..

*Let me know how it works out..

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:
I took stock of all I have left to use up. I am totally not going to be able to start the year off all natural. I have too much junk. I'll be using up as fast as I can to get crackin on the all natural hair care plan.

I took stock of all I have left to use up. I am totally not going to be able to start the year off all natural. I have too much junk. I'll be using up as fast as I can to get crackin on the all natural hair care plan.

I have some things too I need to use up - mostly conditioners (Aussie Moist, Garnier Fructis) . The gels I can just put on hold...

Lita tell me about the moisturizers you use. I see your product list in your siggie and I'm curious.

Whimsy Hi! I use s.m hibiscus cream,bear fruit desert moisturizer,njoi creations moisturizing butters,qhemet burdock root cream & coco tree detagle ghee....

My new moisturizers/creams-Kyras (mango moistizing cream)-Koils by Nature (shealoe leave-in/heavenly moisturizer)-Camille Rose (hair milk,almond jai butter,moisture butter)-B.A.S.K (cream leave-in,sevenfolds butter)-Pura (hair milk,butter)...

Happy Hair Growing!

:look:
So remember yesterday when I said that stuff above? Yeah....well... I've changed my mind.
I'll use up what I can before the new year, and just give away most products and leave the shampoos/conditioners for DH to use. He couldn't care less what he puts on his hair anyway. As of 1/1/12 it'll be all natural, all the way.

@Whimsy

i like darcys botanicals leave-in to detangle and i use qhemet biologics amla and olive heavy cream 2-3 times a week to moisturize then i layer with an oil mix to seal.

@greenandchic

i'd like to join but my stash is primarily natural except for y fantasia ic gel with sparklelites that i use to twist my hair. y stash consists of items from aubreys, giovanni, db, qhemet. i have a little bit of creme of nature moisture and shine sulfate free shampoo i need to use up i think the bottle is 1/2 or 1/3 full. my oil mix i make is meadowfoam, kukui, evoo, castor and evco that i infuse with nettle, lavender and horsetail.

tiffers Coffee IDareT'sHair get in here cause ya'll use some natural stuff

Last edited:
greenandchic I would like to join and will post my beginning picture in January.
~Questions to Start the Challenge~
1. Current length Longest Length APL
2. Natural/Relaxed/Textlaxed/Locked/Other Other in January I will be one year into Transitioning
3. Hair goals for the year. Fully Natural
4. Reggie, styles and products that you will be using. Co washing with Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner weekly, and Terressentials Lemon or Lavendar Mud Wash as needed, Deep Condition with Aubrey GPB weekly and Giovanni Direct Leave-In Weightless Moisture Conditioner. I like mixing my oils to seal in the moisture. Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Glycerin, and Jojoba Oil. Styles mostly protective with twist and twistouts , braids and braidouts.
5. Products/ingredients you will avoid (eg. cones, sulfates, parabens, etc) Cones and Sulfate

Last night I oiled my scalp with homemade coffee oil. I am getting bored with my current PS right now - trying to think of other ways to protect my hair.

I need to place an order for henna for my hair - its been a while since my last treatment.

@Cendra - How much honey do you add to your hair?

So far, I've been eyeballing using the following standard: about 75% shea and coconut oil, jojoba and honey making up the rest. I use about 1/2lb of shea each time and it yields almost a full pound after it's whipped. You do have to be careful: I put too much honey in the current batch and it's made my hair crunchy (but well defined, lol) in the morning. I'm still trying to master this recipe and am finally going to write it down next time because my goal is to have a light soufflé mixture whereas the current one is more of a lotion.

What does the coffee mixture do to your hair? Does it "wake up" the follicles?

1. Current length: Shoulder Length
2. Natural/Relaxed/Textlaxed/Locked/Other: Natural
3. Hair goals for the year: Obtain moisture, healthy hair and apl
4. Reggie, styles and products that you will be using.: wash once a week, dc x2, moisturize daily and seal
5. Products/ingredients you will avoid (eg. cones, sulfates, parabens, etc)
watch out from parabens, sulfates

The week before Thanksgiving I took two huge bags of products to work and the ladies felt like Christmas came a little early!

I went between three floors giving away hair products until I had nothing left. Now, I only have my staples (natural) at home.

It's amazing how much nicer my bathroom looks now that all that stuff is gone. Now I'm hoping I don't become a natural PJ... :drunk:

UGH! This is totally me...even more so since I've been lazy and cut my washes down to once a week. But I'm promising myself NOT to buy anything, unless its natural!

I'm definitely washing my hair tonight!

So far, I've been eyeballing using the following standard: about 75% shea and coconut oil, jojoba and honey making up the rest. I use about 1/2lb of shea each time and it yields almost a full pound after it's whipped. You do have to be careful: I put too much honey in the current batch and it's made my hair crunchy (but well defined, lol) in the morning. I'm still trying to master this recipe and am finally going to write it down next time because my goal is to have a light soufflé mixture whereas the current one is more of a lotion.

What does the coffee mixture do to your hair? Does it "wake up" the follicles?

That sounds really good! I will try that mix sometimes (with a different butter other than shea).

The coffee oil helps with the constant shedding that I have. Its not a hair growth formula per se, but it does help reduce DHT which causes shedding. Its the same reason people do black tea rinses.

Last night I made a hair butter, my first water based product. Hopefully its stable.

Distilled water
Avocado butter
Palm oil
Olive oil
Wheat germ oil
Steric Acid
Emulsifying wax
Honey
Vitamin E
Potassium sorbate
Fragrance

It came out a little thick because I only used 55% water. I may use 65% next time.

IMAG0041-vi.jpg

Last edited:
greenandchic Don't leave us hangin! What was the process of making this? Did you heat everything up and whip it w/a mixer?

Have you used it yet? How do you like it?!

tiffers

I measure everything first from percentages to ounces (I don't have a gram scale, just one that measures in ounces so I convert).

In the "water phase" you heat up the water and other related liquids (eg. aloe vera juice) separately using a double boiler and a candy thermometer to 70c

You heat the butters and oils and emulsifiers separately to 70c.

Blend both together the wait until it cools down to 40c

Then add everything else: preservatives, fragrance, essential oils, and other heat sensitive ingredients.

I did a lot of research because unfortunately, its not as easy as blending everything together. I wish!

Links:
Making Lotion
http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/
Calculators

I will look for more links later...

1. Current length - Halfway between SL and APL
2. Natural/Relaxed/Textlaxed/Locked/Other
3. Hair goals for the year. APL and maybe even BSL
4. Reggie, styles and products that you will be using. Water, Homemade Shealoe butter, and oils. To wash terresentials and ACV. Keeping it simple :)
5. Products/ingredients you will avoid (eg. cones, sulfates, parabens, etc) Non-natural things.

@tiffers

I measure everything first from percentages to ounces (I don't have a gram scale, just one that measures in ounces so I convert).

In the "water phase" you heat up the water and other related liquids (eg. aloe vera juice) separately using a double boiler and a candy thermometer to 70c

You heat the butters and oils and emulsifiers separately to 70c.

Blend both together the wait until it cools down to 40c

Then add everything else: preservatives, fragrance, essential oils, and other heat sensitive ingredients.

I did a lot of research because unfortunately, its not as easy as blending everything together. I wish!

Links:
Making Lotion
http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/
Calculators

I will look for more links later...
greenandchic did you try it yet? It looks yummy. I wanna know how it works.

BronxJazzy It reminds me of Darcy's Botanical's Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme a lot. I like it a lot, I will just do a slightly different formulation next time.

Its moisturizing and gives a slight hold at the same time - almost like a pomade. I will use more water next time.

IMG_0742-vi.jpg

I made a sulfur shea butter and heavy cream shea butter.

For the sulfur shea, I used my old sulfur oil mix that I stopped using because it smelled horrible, couldn't hold a essential oil scent, and was just too runny. I mixed it with shea, distilled water, aloe, castor oil, sweet almond oil, olive oil, coconut oil, vatika oil, vitamin E, peppermint oil,& rosemary oil. I like it so far :)

I made the heavy shea cream to seal. I like it so far but cant be heavy handed with it b/c i have fine strands. I mixed it with shea, distilled water, aloe, castor oil, sweet almond oil, olive oil, coconut oil, vatika oil, vitamin E, vanilla oil,& jasmine oil.

I wasn't nearly as methodical as greenandchic. I just threw everything in a bowl and mixed. :/ I hope my mixes dont go bad before i use them up.

today i found out my hair likes natural aloe. I broke some off and smushed it in.

Not the bottled preserved kind that was only ever ok and only in some applications.

Back