**2010 Braid Challenge**........sign-up here

Hello, just checking in for April! :hiya2:

I still have my braids in, but I have been gradually taking them out, and will have them all out by weekend after next.

I will leave them out for my two or three week break and then get them reinstalled just in time for the beginning of summer...ooh wee!

So far I have 5" or so of new natural hair, and I am now one year post relaxer.
:dance7:

Hope everyone is doing well! :)

WOW..that's great! Congrats on the new growth...

Hello, just checking in for April! :hiya2:

I still have my braids in, but I have been gradually taking them out, and will have them all out by weekend after next.

I will leave them out for my two or three week break and then get them reinstalled just in time for the beginning of summer...ooh wee!

So far I have 5" or so of new natural hair, and I am now one year post relaxer.
:dance7:

Hope everyone is doing well! :)

^^ Me, too, Maracuja. Unfortunately my braids break lasted longer than I wanted it to; :nono: I did a DC w/ IC each week and wearing a braid-out afro today. I'm still not wanting to do the work myself or pay someone to do it. I'll decide by week's end...

So my hair is al braided up now, I'm gonna keep them in for another three months. I'm not quite sure if I got alot of growth from the last set I had in b/c my ends look a mess:wallbash: I need to spend more time in the SHE challenge thread.

i will be taking out install/braids the second or third week of may
im enjoying my hair, and waiting to see whats next

took out my 2nd set of yarn braids.
measured my hair. majority of it is 9 in.
only 6 in to go till my goal length (apl) :)
gonna give my hair some well deserved tlc!!
plan to put in my 3rd set of braids in 2wks or so

Still in my individuals with no extensions. I have just been juicing, MT'n and sealingmy ends in a JBCO/VitE mix. Seems to be doing well. I can tell I have growth. I slacked off a a bit due to surgery but after the second day I was back on it! :)

I am braiding my hair at the moment. I just finished the front :). I am thinking of brading back to back for a few months. So after I take out these braids I will wait a week then rebraid. I am going to try and aim for at least 3 back to backs. I really can't stand to look at my hair anymore lol.

Hey ladies my hair is still in box braids w/my own hair from the beginning of April. I learned my lesson from the last time so I'm only keeping these in for 6 weeks, so these have 2 more weeks to go. I think I'll do small cornrows since it's starting to look a tad lumpy under my wigs. I'll post pics when I re-braid (if they're cute!).

bumping this to ask a quick question.....ladies using synthetic braid hair do you mind me asking which brand you prefer? I am looking to get braids within the next couple of weeks and would like to get individual box braids that are slightly pasted my shoulder.
tia,
tishee

bumping this to ask a quick question.....ladies using synthetic braid hair do you mind me asking which brand you prefer? I am looking to get braids within the next couple of weeks and would like to get individual box braids that are slightly pasted my shoulder.
tia,
tishee

I use 100% Kanekalon hair. Check out growafrohairlong.com. The owner of the site has a braid regimen that I follow while in braids.

still braided up in my box braids with no extensions. working on my third week.....3 more days to make to week 3!

tia,
tishee

I use 100% Kanekalon hair. Check out growafrohairlong.com. The owner of the site has a braid regimen that I follow while in braids.
I agree. Stay away from Toyokalon hair. It tangles a lot.

i just put in some braids without extensions.
i'm rollersetting them right now to give them a bit of body and to tame my frizzy ends.
i just dusted/trimmed them, but i feel as though they need a bit more cutting.
we shall see.

i love the braids so far though, and am hoping to keep them in for close to a month.
if i can make them last, then they will be my summer style.
if not, we'll have to find something else.

I've violated the rules...I've taken my hair down for 2wks my husband wanted to see my hair done so to keep the peace I did it, but next week braids here I come.

I missed the deadline for the braid challenge (by months im a newbie )
but for maintaining the scalp
do you ladies reckon it would be a good or bad idea to add sulfur to a braid spray and spray my scalp with
I just find it easier than using my beemine with an applicator nozzle??:feedback:

I missed the deadline for the braid challenge (by months im a newbie )
but for maintaining the scalp
do you ladies reckon it would be a good or bad idea to add sulfur to a braid spray and spray my scalp with
I just find it easier than using my beemine with an applicator nozzle??:feedback:

I think it's fine, as long as you're not allergic to the sulfur. My braid spray has salicylic acid in it and it greatly helps me with itching.

synthetic hair vs human

I'm the queen of cheap. But the first set of braids I put in after Christmas, synthetic, gave me those dread lock looking things during take down after 2 months in the back of my head (Batik brand). I had to use a floss pick in the back of my head to undo the twisted knots. So this time in mid-March, I begrudgingly spent the extra bucks on human hair. Now I'm taking them down this week (after 2 months again) and ..... voila.... no knots!!! Is anyone else experiencing an easier take down session with human hair? It seems that my hair likes the human hair better.

One more week, praise the lord!!! I can't wait to take these out and put in a fresh set of braids. I LOVE fresh braids!!!

i have started to re-do my braids one row at a time. I am glad I started doing the now casue the buildup at the base was more than I expected. I have never had that problem before but I am assuming some this may be attributed to the Jheri Juice challenge. Oh Well glad I caught.

I took my set of human hair plaits down last week after only two weeks because they matted like crazy...I'll never use HH for plaits again!:(

My hair is now in crochet braids. I used Outre Batik deep wave bulk and it looks so natural-like it's growing from my scalp! I'm busy with an essay at the mo but will take a pic later in the week and post. I had a lecture at my Uni yesterday and everyone was going mad over it!:D :bdance:

I caved in and took my hair down on Saturday. I've been sporting wash and go's, but will braid my hair tomorrow!!

Hi all, I have not updated in a while but I took down another set of braids last week and washed and co-washed with Aphogee 2 min reconstructer then deep conditioned with kids cholesterol that smells like bubble gum for 24 hours :lick:. I rinsed that out and applied Treseme Moisture conditioner, then on Saturday I washed again with Giovanni smooth as silk, conditioned with more Treseme then sprayed Aphogee keratin and green tea then followed that with Cantu Shea butter leave in that I added jojoba and castor oil to and let air dry for a couple of hours then re-braided my natural hair with no extensions like usual. I am thinking of trying some braids with extensions but it takes me too long to do my own hair in about 20 cornrows and every time I am doing them I say this crap is going to stay in for like 2 months because of how bad my arms hurt:drunk: , but I know I won't the longest I can even imagine leaving them in is 6 weeks tops! I just parted my hair down the middle and braided each side in it's own downward direction, again I want it as flat as possible because I am wearing full lace units. Anyway, good to see that everyone is happy with this challenge and sticking to a plan of hair growth attack. I know that the braids are giving me length but I really need to work on thickening up my fine strands. Until I post again, keep it going ladies:yep:.

Attachments

• 5.9.10 braids 1.JPG
    5.9.10 braids 1.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 5.9.10 braids 2.JPG
    5.9.10 braids 2.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hi, ladies,

Checking for May! I got all my micros out by May 1st, and I'm getting them back in on Tuesday, the 18th, so that was a good break. I won't have to work with it for a few months and can just have braids most of the summer.

HHG!

Just completed a 6wk stretch with braids under my wig. Many of my braids will be going into wk 7 and 8 because i will be redoing braids at my leisure.

This challenge is helping me out with retetion and time. I don't have to worry about styling my hair just wash or spray and go. I only did one set of braids this year the rest were sets of twists I may do a set of braids for my bday in august. But twists are so much faster to put in. I did long twists this time. My hair is past my shoulders in the back now even after my horrible blowdrying experience.

Back