2" of new growth but not happy

Penspringz

My hair has been in a weave for 2 months and I have a load of new growth but because I was curios to see how long my hair was, pulled a bit out of the cornrows and to my suprise, it is not any longer despite all that newgrowth. What is that about?

Whilst my weave has been in, I've been using MTG weekly and that's about it in terms of regimes.

I dont think we can stress the fact that moisture is the most important thing in retaining length with our hair. If you dont moisturise (with some water based product, better yet water) your hair wont retain length because it wont be strong. That's it in its simplest terms.

I don't think you can clearly tell if your hair has grown until you do a complete take out, and I do think you should do it soon, or your hair under the weave will matt and break and you will have big TIME hair loss!!!!. Once it's all out do and overall assestment post relaxer or flat iron or blow out.

HTH.

Ahh, it's called shrinkage.

The same thing George Costanza was a victim of. :lol:

*reference for present (and past) Seinfeld watchers*

Penspringz said:
My hair has been in a weave for 2 months and I have a load of new growth but because I was curios to see how long my hair was, pulled a bit out of the cornrows and to my suprise, it is not any longer despite all that newgrowth. What is that about?

Whilst my weave has been in, I've been using MTG weekly and that's about it in terms of regimes.

bklynwildheart said:
Ahh, it's called shrinkage.

The same thing George Costanza was a victim of. :lol:

*reference for present (and past) Seinfeld watchers*

Love that episode! Actually I LOVE that show :)

I agree that after 2 months it is time for it to come out. I made that mistake before. I was told that unless you are having the tracks resewn bimonthly, that you shouldn't leave the weaves in more than 6 weeks. My hair was so matted and tangled and almost like dreads. Any growth I did get had to be cut off and you know I was crying!

I forgot to comment on this, got distracted by Seinfeld.

Did you get horizontal, vertical or circular braids?

I always get vertical braids and I can keep my weave in 3 months without matting. I would keep it in four but I get big curly hair and it just becomes too much to deal with by then.

It is important to moisturize the braids. You may grow at the roots, but you lose hair at the ends

cicilypayne said:
I don't think you can clearly tell if your hair has grown until you do a complete take out, and I do think you should do it soon, or your hair under the weave will matt and break and you will have big TIME hair loss!!!!. Once it's all out do and overall assestment post relaxer or flat iron or blow out.

HTH.

I second that motion. When you take your hair down, you will have a better pic of what you actual work'n with. Especially if you get it relaxed, so just try to take it easy for the time being.

Don't panic. That's probably shrinkage. You won't really be able to tell until you take the whole thing down. Was there build up in the part you took down or was it hard to get out? How often have you been washing? I know you said it's been 8 weeks but if you don't have any build up or your hair isn't matted, you're good. When do you plan on taking it down?

No worries. Thats definitely shrinkage. :)

Are you relaxed or natural? Well either way, Im sure you'll see the difference once you take out all the cornrows and straighten ure hair! ;)

Hi P,

I agree with all the above posters - you have to keep your strands
moisturized while braided or waeved!

If any doubt, just REMOVE the weave- 2 months is a good limit!

What products are you using? How are you caring for the weave?

Good luck, CD

awww, thank you all for responding. I am so touched. Well, I will try and answer all your questions, if I can remember them.

I don't seem to have any build up at all, unlike other times when I've been weaved and was using a multitude of products. I can only see bits of sulfur from the MTG but it's really not that much.

The braids are vertical so I don't think I have any tangling or matting. I am ready to take the weave out, I just can't seem to find the time.

I have only really washed my hair once whilst this weave was in and haven't been using moisturiser- only MTG, which I thought would be sealing whatever moisture there was. My hair is natural...for now!

I really hope my hair isn't breaking under the weave but we shall soon see.

Thanks again everybody xxx

If it were in braids, trust, you still have the length. Maybe you can see it b/c its not stick str8, but trust me, its there.

Con - grats on 1 inch per month ! Did you only apply MTG on clean scalp ? or whenever ? How many times per week ?

thicknlong said:
If it were in braids, trust, you still have the length. Maybe you can see it b/c its not stick str8, but trust me, its there.

Con - grats on 1 inch per month ! Did you only apply MTG on clean scalp ? or whenever ? How many times per week ?

I was only using once a week because it makes the hair really oily/shiny. The first time I applied it was on a clean scalp. I try to drain some of the oil because I think it's unncessary.
I really hope that the length is still there :)

Back