2 inches new growth = virgin relaxer?

Amcd

I am 20 weeks post relaxer and have about 2 inches of new growth. This will be my first time having a touch up with this stylist and she wants to charge me the rate for a virgin relaxer (about $25 more, plus more $ for a roller set rather than blow dry).

Is this normal? I've never stretched this long before (was thinking about going natural, but decided to stick with my relaxer) so I've never had this much new growth, so I haven't been in this situation before.

Just wanted to know if this is standard practice and if it has happened to anyone else.

IMO she shouldn't be charging you extra for 2 inches of growth. I bet she's charging you extra for the length. A lot of stylist are doing this because they're saying it's more tedious to work with.:perplexed

Thanks ladies. My hair is APL so not super long. This has not been setting well with me at all, that's why I wanted to know if it was standard practice. How can you compare doing a whole head that has never been relaxed with 2 inches of new growth?

Sigh, it has been hard to find a stylist here in Maryland that I like, I guess my quest is still on.

Amcd...

There are 20 million DMV posters on this board. Go post your dilemma in the Salon thread and you'll have three or four recommendations on decent stylists in the area by the end of the day.

Amcd...

There are 20 million DMV posters on this board. Go post your dilemma in the Salon thread and you'll have three or four recommendations on decent stylists in the area by the end of the day.

Thanks, I've been through the forum with a fine tooth comb and have quite a few names that I will try out now.

I am 20 weeks post relaxer and have about 2 inches of new growth. This will be my first time having a touch up with this stylist and she wants to charge me the rate for a virgin relaxer (about $25 more, plus more $ for a roller set rather than blow dry).

Is this normal? I've never stretched this long before (was thinking about going natural, but decided to stick with my relaxer) so I've never had this much new growth, so I haven't been in this situation before.

Just wanted to know if this is standard practice and if it has happened to anyone else.

I thought a virgin relaxer is for people who have never had a relaxer service.

Um...actually my stylist is the same way when i stretch my texturizers..:look:

she explained to me that the salon bases a touch up price on the amount of mix they use (i.e., enough to relax about an inch of new growth). so when you come in with 2, 3, 4, 5 inches of new growth after a longterm stretch they have to charge you for a virgin relaxer because otherwise inventory would be off and the shop owner would wonder where the rest of the stuff went.

now i have extra thick natural hair so maybe thats why my stylist does this, or maybe it's all a load of b.s. i have no idea. just wanted OP to know that I've experienced the same thing

It's been so long since I've had a relaxer but I didn't know salons charge different prices for a virgin perm vs a retouch. But anyway, 2 inches of growth isn't enough to charge for a virgin perm. there is still less hair to perm.

Um...actually my stylist is the same way when i stretch my texturizers..:look:

she explained to me that the salon bases a touch up price on the amount of mix they use (i.e., enough to relax about an inch of new growth). so when you come in with 2, 3, 4, 5 inches of new growth after a longterm stretch they have to charge you for a virgin relaxer because otherwise inventory would be off and the shop owner would wonder where the rest of the stuff went.

now i have extra thick natural hair so maybe thats why my stylist does this, or maybe it's all a load of b.s. i have no idea. just wanted OP to know that I've experienced the same thing

BT.....that sounds a little suspect...I would roll with your stylist if she was pulling the relaxer to the ends of your hair...that would justify her argument ...but a few inches ....what if someone came in with BSL/HL virgin hair - would they then charge for (2) virgin relaxers??

Is this a new practice?

A friend of mine was telling me that her beautician wanted to (do did) charge her for a virgin relaxer because she had so much new growth, but she still had mostly relaxed hair.

It sounds like they want to charge more because they have to use more than what's normal (in their opinion) for a regular touch up.

Most stylist are used to people coming in 4-5 weeks post. I could understand pro rating the service based on the amount of new growth but 2 inches does not equal virgin relaxer.

It's all nonsense to me. If you bring your own relaxer in they do not give you a price reduction since they are not using their product, but if they ever have to use an extra teaspoon of theirs they sure will charge you for it. I can understand charging a little extra, but charging the same as a virgin relaxer when OP is APL and has 2" of new growth is ridiculous!

I'm sorry that's a bunch of BS!! She must think you're stupid! The extra for a virgin relaxer...... what will she next try to relax you from root to tip..Find another stylist pronto!!!!

No. I don't think so. 2 inches??? It doesn't matter how long it is she is not doing the whole length again (at least I hope not). What about people who get 2 inches in about 10 weeks? That sounds like price-gouging to me because of the economy or slow business or just plain greediness!!

It's all nonsense to me. If you bring your own relaxer in they do not give you a price reduction since they are not using their product, but if they ever have to use an extra teaspoon of theirs they sure will charge you for it. I can understand charging a little extra, but charging the same as a virgin relaxer when OP is APL and has 2" of new growth is ridiculous!

I can understand charging extra also, but not what she charges for a whole new head of virgin hair! Glad I'm not the only that thought :shocked: when they hear about this practice.

Yup, they tried to charge me for a virgin relaxer after my 7 month stretch... I wasn't having it tho cause A.) I was quoted already over the phone and B.)It's not a virgin relaxer... "I know you see these relaxed ends honey..."

Back