11 feet of dreads in 2 1/2 years? Uh, people believe this. Seriously.

sungtongs

I'm not gonna copy the post word-for-word, but here's the rundown:
La la soymilk (This woman is clearly running a scam.) (mute your speakers!)

Uh. 8ft 6 inches in 2008
...19 feet in 2009. :lachen:

She says the discrepancy is due to the knots not being undone properly the first time she was measured, but when she used to have more pictures up on her site, there was no evidence of her hair even being in knots when she was sick. Luckily, she has video up from two years ago (linked above). :nono:

Here's her website: Asha Mandela

Has someone posted about this woman before by any chance?

Last edited:
^^She's been posted before but I thought she has been growing her locks for about 20 years.

ETA: I just clicked on your link after posting and I now see the joke. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
^^She's been posted before but I thought she has been growing her locks for about 20 years.

i think she has been growing for that long too, but she still claims she got 11 more feet within 2.5 yrs

"Back in 2008 when she turned herself into Guinness to win the record for the longest dreads, her hair was 8 feet long. 2 and 1/2 years later her hair now stands at 19 feet, 6 inches long? Does anything sound wrong yet? Hmm, 11 feet in 2 and 1/2 years… Why not win the record for fastest growing hair ever?"

I knew I'd find a use for this gif again...

664592s.gif

But isn't this the same woman who claimed her hair is long because she got that Indian in her family.

OK, I just read her website. She doesn't claim to have grown 11 inches in 2.5 years. She makes it sound like that one loc was all knotted inside the others and it was that one that when unraveled measured that long. There are photos of the measuring at the link she provides:

When I tried for my first GWR record, not only had I never thought of measuring my hair before to figure out its actual length, but was quite surprised to learn that they were over 8ft long! I had been so caught up in the excitment, I totally forgot to untie all my little knots in each lock. That is why the first actual measurement is at 8ft 6ins..

After acheiving the award, I soon realised my error in not letting out all my knots to accurately measure my hair so I contacted a ’loctician’ and explained to her my hair issues and asked for her help in sorting through my locs. It is a task I was not able (or too willing!) to do on my own.

After about 13 long, stressful hours at ODETTE’S HAIR CLINIC in Point Fortin, Trinidad, Odette carefully and patiently untied my hidden knots. My bum was sore, my back was hurting, and Lord did my neck feel like I was carrying bricks up a hill!

I contacted GWR and explained to them my error and the steps I took to have my hair sorted out so that the measurement can be corrected and updated. They then advised me to re-submit a new application with a full explaination and also updated proof such as another hairdresser’s verification withnessed by another Notary Public.

Bottom line, I had to go through the same procedure as I did the first time to have my hair tested and sworn that it is, in fact, my own natural hair.

WHEW…GWR is very strict !

Upon doing so, my application was once again accepted. I was then invited to be a part of GWR week in New York to be adjudicated while somewhat breaking my previous record.

http://community.guinnessworldrecor...Dreadlock-in-the-World/blog/1490937/7691.html
Source

And here's an image of her with that lonely long loc standing up to be counted :giggle:
499.jpg

I wonder if they made sure if it was attached to her scalp. Because if you fold it over:look: it looks like it would be the same length as the rest of her hair.

How nasty is that? Her hair was on the ground! I have family with long well groomed locs and hers just does not look well groomed.:nono:

My family from the next island over of grenada and we all mixed up too what happened to my hair? why is it taking so long :ohwell:? my cousin's got hair down to they arse and mine so short?:lachen::lachen::lachen:
Being mixed don't have nothing to do with it. Just found that part funny.
I have a friend with locs that's looks well maintained than that.
n e ways.....off to carry on watch the grass on my head grow.....really slowly and healthy with my mixed up self:lachen:.

I just can't get over how she has these longgggggg dreds...but look at the FRONT of her head....it's like....barely there o.O
Is it possible that the weight of her locs are pulling from the root....causing serious tension/thinning in the front?
If the front of her hair was filled in better....I could probably take her alil more seriously....i'm jst sayin :look:

I just can't get over how she has these longgggggg dreds...but look at the FRONT of her head....it's like....barely there o.O
Is it possible that the weight of her locs are pulling from the root....causing serious tension/thinning in the front?
If the front of her hair was filled in better....I could probably take her alil more seriously....i'm jst sayin :look:

:lachen:Thank you...it just adds to the gross factor....looks like she has five locs at the top...smh

This woman does look a hot mess. I noticed that her roots look thin as well. I also wouldn't want my hair on the bathroom/shower floor. How is that clean?:nono:

i dont get it...ladies - - - i think she could very well be legit - why not? why is is so unbelievable that a brown skinned woman could have hair that long?
isnt that what this forum is all about? arent we all supposed to be breaking previously believed limits for what was possible for us?
i read her explanation about the length difference, she said it took over 13 hours with a professional lock person, to unravel her knots(it sounded like more than one to me).

You took the words right out of my mouth. She needs to do somthin 'bout them edges.

@Cherokia-Rose - I believe it's all her hair but she, like many other blacks who don't understand their own hair, seems to think she has to have mixture from other races in order for her hair to grow so she made a big deal out of it. Afro textured hair grows just like any other hair type. You don't have to be mixed with something for your hair to grow.

i dont get it...ladies - - - i think she could very well be legit - why not? why is is so unbelievable that a brown skinned woman could have hair that long?
isnt that what this forum is all about? arent we all supposed to be breaking previously believed limits for what was possible for us?
i read her explanation about the length difference, she said it took over 13 hours with a professional lock person, to unravel her knots(it sounded like more than one to me).

The point of the thread was to point out the discrepancies that were made about her achieving that length in the allotted time, which Nonie cleared up for us in the first page.

But I (and others on the forum) have a HUGE problem with her saying that because she's "mixed," and has a "good texture," that allowed her locs to grow to an extraordinary length. If that was the case, then I wouldn't be trying to grow my mostly 4b hair out right now. :nono:

You took the words right out of my mouth. She needs to do somthin 'bout them edges.

@Cherokia-Rose - I believe it's all her hair but she, like many other blacks who don't understand their own hair, seems to think she has to have mixture from other races in order for her hair to grow so she made a big deal out of it. Afro textured hair grows just like any other hair type. You don't have to be mixed with something for your hair to grow.

That's what I'm saying!
This seems to be an on-going issue, especially in the AFRICAN AMERICAN community....heck most of the time I believe that it is an underlying issue ONLY in the AFRICAN AMERICAN community. You don't hear whites going around talking about "oh yea, see my mom has alil bit of black in her, and some black-foot indian on her half-grandma's, sister's auntie's nephew's side............
that's why my body is shaped the way it is...(or something to that effect)" They just accept themselves for who they are....why can't we as African American's do the same? :ohwell:

Back