100% shea butter question.

IntoMyhair

Hi Ladies,

I picked up some 100% shea butter from a bss in the mall today. I've never seen shea butter before and want to no if it's the real thing.

This stuff is yellow and crumbly and smells somewhat like play duh

Is it real?
Thanx

Sounds NOT Real shea butter to me! shea butter is smooth texture and soft and has a funny aroma to me but one that I could distinguish the difference between real and fake. Shea butter shouldn't be crumbly and smell like Pla Doh, I only order shea butter from www.sheabutterhut.com or a Reputable place that the Ladies here provide.

How much did you pay for it? and what size? What does the ingredients say?

Hi,
the store had 2 different sizes I paid $6.99 for 8 oz's the bigger was $9.99 but i was'nt to sure of it

there are no ingredients

here are some pics

Last edited:
It could be raw shea butter from your description. Did you put any in your hand and melt it? It should become very creamy upon doing so.

ETA: Looking at the pic, it looks like raw shea butter. I buy mine from Ghanian vendors and it looks exactly the same. Like darker yellow butter.

OnceUponAtime said:
It could be raw Shea butter from your description. Did you put any in your hand and melt it? It should become very creamy upon doing so.

yes it melted right up and clear i could'nt see the yellow it looked like none greasy Vaseline

IntoMyhair said:
yes it melted right up and clear i could'nt see the yellow it looked like none greasy Vaseline

Sounds like the real deal. Not too greasy, not too oily. Somewhere in the middle.

Looks like you got unrefined shea butter. That's just how mine looks. I need to go back 125th St and get some more from that vendor.

IntoMyhair said:
Yes thats it right in the middle.

Now that the warm weather is here, it will soften some more for you, but it won't really "un-lump". You could warm it over low heat or microwave it, but you chance making it gritty. I made that mistake before. So now, I just either melt it in my hands or add warmed oils to it and stir briskly. It will cream like whipped butter.

IntoMyhair said:
Hi,
the store had 2 different sizes I paid $6.99 for 8 oz's the bigger was $9.99 but i was'nt to sure of it

there are no ingredients

There shouldn't be ingredients. Just shea nut butter.

Hair Iam said:
You have the real thing;)

good i'll be going back and buying $100.00 worth my daughter has eczema and the good cream the doctor gave her is'nt even good enough and there is'nt a lotion good enough either

Thanks guys

IntoMyhair said:
good i'll be going back and buying $100.00 worth my daughter has eczema and the good cream the doctor gave her is'nt even good enough and there is'nt a lotion good enough either

Thanks guys

A lady I know daughter has exzema also. I told her to buy Shea Butter. Her daughter's skin is doing great. She said they went to the doctor and the doctor asked her did she need more cream for her skin. The daughter said, "No, I use this stuff called Shea Butter that is great!" :grin:

I buy Nasabb's shea butter. It's not yellow maybe a beige color and it is not whipped perfectly smooth; however, when you rub it in on skin and hair it goes on smoothe. You can read about the components of it at this site where I order my shea butter, black soap, and kelechi hair oil from.

www.nasabb.com

IntoMyhair said:
Hi,

there are no ingredients

here are some pics

It looks real.

I use shea butter from coastalscents its whipped and very smooth. I put it on the ends of my hair when I twist it or braids or whatever style that needs more of a hold. I love it. I dont use it often to afraid of build up but it really makes my hair very very soft and managable.

If your shea butter is bright yellow and grainy, it may be Kpangnan butter instead of Karite (shea) butter.

I use shea butter from coastalscents its whipped and very smooth. I put it on the ends of my hair when I twist it or braids or whatever style that needs more of a hold. I love it. I dont use it often to afraid of build up but it really makes my hair very very soft and managable.

I just ordered from them the other day. Hopefully their softer shea butter will be kinder to my blender. I almost broke the darn thing on a tub of unrefined shea I purchased last month. It was really good stuff. But I'd rather not spend goob gobs of time manipulating it before use.

Cosigning with the others. You have the unrefined shea which is the best to me. I use mine straight out of the bag onto my wet hair and it makes my hair wave and curl up really nice. You have the real deal.

ETA~ When it's dry and cold raw shea is crumbly. When it's warm raw shea is more play doh like.

What about a tan colored shea butter?

I had some that I got from an African festival a few years ago. This shea butter was hard, crumbly, and you had to rub it in the palms of your hand to melt and apply it.

Back