100% Coconut Cream

SherylsTresses

I just purchase some 100% pure coconut cream from my local farmers market. I wanted to purchase canned coconut milk but couldn't find any that was pure. It was purchased in the refrigerated section near a bunch of other cultural items. So I guess I will keep it refrigerated until I hear from my hair Sistas. :rolleyes:

Does anyone use this on their hair?
What is the outcome?
Do you use on several weeks before or post relaxer?

http://members.fotki.com/SherylsTresses/about/

Last edited:
Forgot to answer a few of your other questions I believe its the meat of the coconut, not really like coconut oil. I would melt it down before I use it but you can use it however

I use canned coconut milk...but I just use the cream that rises to the top of the can. It's basically the coconut meat and water mixed together. When it separates, the creamy part rises to the top and the water is on the bottom.

I use it as a conditioner. Works well for me, softens my hair, and it is kind of oily (because of the high fat content) which makes it easy to detangle for me.

I just purchase some 100% pure coconut cream from my local farmers market. I wanted to purchase canned coconut milk but couldn't find any that was pure. It was purchased in the refrigerated section near a bunch of other cultural items. So I guess I will keep it refrigerated until I hear from my hair Sistas. :rolleyes:

Does anyone use this on their hair?
What is the outcome?
Do you use on several weeks before or post relaxer?

http://members.fotki.com/SherylsTresses/about/

I do and I mix it with bottled key lime juice, extra coconut oil ( a little) for my daughter's deep conditioning. Don't use too much lime..I did for myself and my hair is a little dry. But when you are heavy on the creme, it lenghtens the curl and gives lasting softness and conditioning.

My problem is that I bought one from the Indian grocer and it's not at all like the coconut butter/creme I found at the health food co-op. It says to put in a cheese cloth or strainer and poor tepid water over it to render out the creme. But by the time I read that, it was already mixed up in my concoction...:wallbash: It was cheap, tho.

Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose conditioner has coconut creme as their base. I think they use a product that is diff. like soap-maker bases. I'd like to find that one cuz it's less messy. Anybody know? Please PM me if you know. It has more conditioner-like properties. But overall, coconut creme is wonderful stuff. Just beware that some of them have these coconut meat flecks that are hard to get out of the hair until it completely dries.

Last edited:
Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose conditioner has coconut creme as their base. I think they use a product that is diff. like soap-maker bases. I'd like to find that one cuz it's less messy. Anybody know? Please PM me if you know. It has more conditioner-like properties. But overall, coconut creme is wonderful stuff. Just beware that some of them have these coconut meat flecks that are hard to get out of the hair until it completely dries.

The "coconut fatty acid cream base" that AO uses is really just cetyl alcohol. There was some controversy about that a while back because in Europe they're required to list all ingredients, whereas in the US they're not. The European bottles show cetyl alcohol and the US ones show "coconut fatty acid cream base". It's misleading, but not illegal here.

I will be picking up some from the West Indian grocery. I took a bit from my fridge to use in a mix and I like it. So now I need to get my own for my hair

I saw a youtube vid about a woman who uses this are part of a "natural relaxer" for her daughter. She doesn't use lime - she mixes it with yogurt and something else...can't remember. But the lactic acid and fats help lengthen and soften the curl. The effect isn't permanent, it's temporary, and she redoes it every 2-3 months.

I think part of it is that the hair is so well moisturized it hangs more thus "lengthening" the curl.

I do and I mix it with bottled key lime juice, extra coconut oil ( a little) for my daughter's deep conditioning. Don't use too much lime..I did for myself and my hair is a little dry. But when you are heavy on the creme, it lenghtens the curl and gives lasting softness and conditioning.

My problem is that I bought one from the Indian grocer and it's not at all like the coconut butter/creme I found at the health food co-op. It says to put in a cheese cloth or strainer and poor tepid water over it to render out the creme. But by the time I read that, it was already mixed up in my concoction...:wallbash: It was cheap, tho.

I will be trying this for my next post relaxed.... :grin:

This is rather timely because I brought some coconut cream (not 100% percent) on Friday. The first ingredients are coconut juice and meat, but since it was in the beverage section for mixed drinks ingredients, it has some addictives and preservatives in it. It is pearly and thick, which I like, in a squeeze bottle. I added it to my DC of Mill Creek keratin conditioner, full-fat yogurt, buttermilk powder, aloe vera, molasses and coconut oil. Not only did I have a nice protein treatment, but this was probably my best combination in terms of loosening texture.

I bought this a few weeks back. Was going to make a raw food desert with it but lost the ingredients recipe. :(

Thought about putting it in my hair but had not bothered to ask you ladies who to use it yet. Thanks for posting this.

I have used coconut cream in place of coconut milk for the coconut lime treatment.

My hair likes it better than the coconut milk, its thicker and holds on to my hair better than coconut milk (which has a thinner consistancy).

The results:

My hair was very soft, wavy and curly (While wet and when it dried Completely):
I have 4a\4b natural hair and it looked as if my hair was texaturized.

So all in all: I love coconut cream, and will be doing another coconut lime mix for my hair this summer.

I tooks some pictures of the results, the pics there fuzzy though:

Image032-vi.jpg

Image35-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Back