1 Year Progress and 1st Time BKT Results

BlackGeisha

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share my 1 year results. I joined LHCF in August 2008 and got serious about my hair in September 2008. My hair was really damaged from years of weaves and abuse. I tried taking care of it in Sept. 08 but it was breaking, so I decided to go back to wearing sew-ins as a protective style, no glue, no relaxing monthly, and it worked for me, my hair does best when its left alone. My final results was after I took out my sew in that I wore from June 09 - August 09 I just took it out on Friday. I did not relax it, instead I BKT'd which I have been wanting to do for some time now. I used OK Keratin I bought from ebay, I was able to just go pick it up since the lady who sells it lives in Miami, and the sofliss office was closed. Well here are my results, I think I am apl in the back. Thankyou, good luck to you all!

September 2008

September 2009

Last edited:
Great progress! Thanks for sharing. Your hair looks really healthy.
Are you planning to keep BKT'ing and not relax at all?

How was your BKT experience? Did you do it yourself? Were the fumes bad?

Thankyou, my roots still feel puffy to me so I will probably still relax just not as frequently, because I like the flat super straight feel.

I did my BKT by myself, the BKT experience was loooong! lol! it took me all day because my roots were so hard to deal with, next time may not be so bad. The fumes got bad halfway into applying, I began tearing up and it was messing with my sinuses so I went outside for some fresh air. The blowdry wasn't bad and neither was the flat iron. My hair is really soft, even my newgrowth roots which were really unmanageable.

What relaxer do you use?
And would you say you were fine-haired?

Thankyou, my roots still feel puffy to me so I will probably still relax just not as frequently, because I like the flat super straight feel.

I did my BKT by myself, the BKT experience was loooong! lol! it took me all day because my roots were so hard to deal with, next time may not be so bad. The fumes got bad halfway into applying, I began tearing up and it was messing with my sinuses so I went outside for some fresh air. The blowdry wasn't bad and neither was the flat iron. My hair is really soft, even my newgrowth roots which were really unmanageable.

What relaxer do you use?
And would you say you were fine-haired?

I would say I'm fine haired but at the same time my hair is coarse, my hair was thin from the bad sew-ins, but what helped thicken it up was using amla oil, while in my protective sew ins I was using a dropper and applying it to my hair and scalp.

I use ORS lye relaxer normal. I used to use super because the normal does not get it super straight, but I read on here that I shouldn't use super relaxer so I just deal with it being underprocessed.

Thank you HotHair,

Lol! Well I learned that my hair does best with low to no manipulation at all. I corn-rowed my hair with synthetic braiding hair and I self installed a curly sew - in. (I’ll put the link back to my fotki, I’m going to switch to shutter fly soon.)

From there I just kept the install in 2-3 months at a time, then I would take it out and reinstall. Sometimes I would relax for manageability but not often, I think I relaxed only 3 times since Sept. 08. I would just flat iron to check growth.

While in the sew - in I would spray in between my tracks with Aphogee protein leave in. I would use a dropper and apply amla oil to my hair and scalp, and I used a growth aid called Minoval Drops from the BSS.

When I would take out the sew- in I was very careful I would unbraid and detangle with my fingers, then with a wide tooth comb. 2 month take downs were easy my hair was always shiny and moisturized from the alma oil. 3 month take downs are rough, there is a lot of matting and tangles, but with patience I detangle with my fingers first then a wide toothed comb.

I would wash with Aphogee for damaged hair and condition with ORS Replenishing conditioner. That’s pretty much it. I can’t use the Aphogee shampoo now that I have the BKT in so I used Mill Creek Keratin Shampoo and Conditioner, but I can still use my Aphogee 2 min reconstructor.

I have to find a new simple regimen now, I’m going to try wearing my natural hair now and just bun. I have a ton of products so I’ll be experimenting to see what works.

http://public.fotki.com/BlackGeisha/
(I haven't upated it because I'm going to switch to shutterfly)

Lovely Progress!!!! WHAT Brazilian Keratin Home Treatment did you use? I think I am going to try it at home.

Thank you, I used OK Keratin on ebay $33.00. It's not a home treatment, it says for professional use only buy I'm a DIY'er so I do everything myself except cut. :yep:

By the way the OK Keratin I got is only 4 oz. and it says its good for one use, but i only used half of it. So I still have 2 oz to do another treatment, and it comes with a 4 oz clarifying poo, not a bad deal.

Last edited:
Back