yea right I don't know who's idea it was to do

Geminigirl

braidouts to transition or even to blend relaxed hair and NG. I will be 11 wks post on saturday and that was the hardest braidout I have done. My first braidout came out real cute I was only like 4-6 wks post but the rest of the braidouts since have been poop. I really wanna be cute tom..lol so I hope all works out. What do ya'll do to help with your braidouts while stretching a relaxer? or period?

I don't do braid outs, but twistouts are great for transitioning/stretching and blending textures imo.

What products did you use? Exactly what was the problem?

I apply leave - in conditioner, gel and a little oil to my hair and twist. It doesn't come out as good especially without the gel.

When I was transitioning ( for all of 3.5 months) I never did braidouts but I always did twistouts. I usually used my aloe/glycerin mix and sealed with coconut oil. I never had a bad one. Oh btw. I always did flat twists (to the scalp). I have pics in my forki if you're interested. I also wore headbands to hide the ng in the front. HTH.

I co washed and left some cond in and then I used wrap foam and I cornrowed. Felt like too much breakage and it was hard to braid through the NG. But I am subscribing to this thread and will check out your fotki and try a twist out next time for sure.

My braidouts are getting harder to control as well (I'm 6 weeks post)... every night I moisturize with Ms. Jessie's buttercream or Aveda Brilliant Cream...and I spritz it with Motions leave in conditioner... and put my hair in two corn rolls...it's getting to be a pain.

Well...I'm transitioning. I'm around 20 weeks post.
I wash my hair.
Apply some carrot oil (ors creme)
Braid hair and pincurl.

I don't wear my hair out anymore because I look like the Cowardly Lion before half the day is gone. :grin:
I wear it in a french roll secured with bobby pins.

Update:
Are you detangling your hair?
At one point I couldn't comb through my hair and it was driving me crazy. Then it dawned on me: My hair has an abundance of natural texture. So why am I trying to comb through it like straight hair?
You can't fight your hair--you have to work with it. So I dunno....but since I've been doing this...things have been much better.
I slather my hair with conditioner as I would if I were applying a relaxer. Work it through my hair. Then I comb through with a wide-tooth comb. Put a bag on and let it marinate for a while.
Wash it out.

I find that when I do this, I can work with it. Even when completely dry.

Last edited:
Actually I did the same thing last night with Aussie Moist and I left a lil in at the top and I had lots of slip. More then when i use Suave cond. It's like my ends are so weak though. I haven't found a good moisturizer, that could be it. I love s-curl but ran out and haven't gotten anymore yet. I think I'll get some next month.

Geminigirl,

May ask what look your going for with your braid/twist out? I ask because IMO opinion the braid/twist out look is more of "big hair" type of look. They come out really sleek on the relaxed ladies when the hair is freshly relaxed or just few weeks post. But it is usually a more "textured" hair style that will get bigger with each day. I'm natural but I was texlaxed for many years and transitioned for 15 months and braid and twist outs were my stable styles.

Once I know what look you want I can offer some tips that worked for me. :)

I co-washed with Suave Tropical coconut last night. I slathered it on my entire head and detangled with the conditioner on my hair and then a little under the running water. After I gently squeezed most of the water out of my hair, I applied Garnier Fructis Long and Strong Leave-in throughout my hair (i'm slightly heavy handed) and then sealed with grapeseed oil. I then made 7 plaits (since i still don't know how to cornrow) and let it dry overnight. This is how I always do my braidouts and they ended up nice every time. I'm currently 12 weeks post and grazing BSL when straight

Geminigirl,

May ask what look your going for with your braid/twist out? I ask because IMO opinion the braid/twist out look is more of "big hair" type of look. They come out really sleek on the relaxed ladies when the hair is freshly relaxed or just few weeks post. But it is usually a more "textured" hair style that will get bigger with each day. I'm natural but I was texlaxed for many years and transitioned for 15 months and braid and twist outs were my stable styles.

I agree with the bolded. I usually wear my braidout with a headband and most people think i'm natural because of the texture. when i find my usb cord, i'll post pics to my pitiful fotiki lol

...also, I never comb through a braidout. I'm so tempted to run my fingers through my dry hair but it sometimes leads to tangles.

I co washed and left some cond in and then I used wrap foam and I cornrowed. Felt like too much breakage and it was hard to braid through the NG. But I am subscribing to this thread and will check out your fotki and try a twist out next time for sure.

The bolded part can dry out your hair, make it hard and lead to breakage. When I'm doing a twistout, I co-wash first. Then I add Giovanni Direct Leave-in then seal with a mixture of coconut and castor oil. My twistouts turn out full and soft with nice wave definition. I have a couple pics in my fotki of my twistout.

Geminigirl,

Beautiful hair, Sunshine!

Geminigirl,

I am looking for the texture without the poofiness and frizzies. if that makes sense. I want nice waves/curls/crimps but I want them to lay down. I don't want to big of hair.

Back