WOW I'm KINDA SHOCKED! I Was Turned Down TWICE for a BKT

MissMeWithThatIsh

I was turned down 2wice today for a Brazilian Keratin Treatment.

1st Salon : was Shampoo Ave B, and the guy said he was Brasilian. He took one look at my hair (out of braids) and said my hair wouldn't "take" and I need a relaxer. I said, "Well I heard this procedure is for all hair types and textures and you guys have such great services and reviews, I just would like to try and see what happens."

Long story short... he washed my hair... ran conditioner through it...then dried it and then told me he wouldn't personally pay the $400 it would cost if it were my hair.... and persisted that it wouldn't look good. I graciously left- and no I didn't have to pay.

2nd Trip: I'm at this place right by Union Square and they have the Japanese Treatment, the BKT and another $250 Keratin condition with Collagen called Rejuvenol. I walk in and they feel my hair, and say it's soft and have me speak with another lady.

She says my hair type won't take for either treatment but that the Japanese treatment would do well for me. She says that it will loosen the curl semi-permanently and that with time, my hair will grow and she can then do the Keratin treatment.

I'm there and I meet a girl who doesn't relax anymore (after 8 months) and she's getting this keratin thing done. She said she loves it, etc. So then I ask her if her hair is similar to mine (which understandably with no REAL conditioning and leave in looks a hot mess)... and she says her's is slightly different because her parents are "both Hispanic" (she's a black Hispanic--- and so am I... let me add). But that it is for everyone and she's never returning to relaxers because this treatment is great.

So ultimately, they offer to do a free strand test for my hair for the Japanese treatment and I politely declined. I don't want any permanent processes at the moment, I just want growth, length and continuing thickness. No more permanent commitments.

But why does it seem like people have a million reasons to try and push you into a relaxer? I'm not trying to mess with the creamy crack if I can help it. I'ma have to ask Sareca, Pink Skates and LHCF to make a dang-on book....... :rolleyes:

:look:

I always thought that the BKT treatment only worked on relatively 'straight' hair in the first place. Maybe that's why they were turning you down - your hair still has too much curl for it to look right....because it really is supposed to be a straightening techinique - not a super protien like it's sometimes advertised as.

As far as the girl who hadn't had a relaxer in 8 months, transitioners often mention that their early NG is rather different from their final texture because the relaxed hair weighs the other hair down.

I don't know........

The kinkier your hair is, the harder it is for the treatment to take. So, if you are natural, it will take longer and maybe more solution. It might not be AS straight as relaxed hair, but it will loosen the pattern significantly. It can be done on your hair.

Hey Lauren:

Totally off Topic

Just wanted to give a little shout out to Cannon AFB, my husband and I were stationed there awhile ago, we left in 1997.

Got a little over joyed someplace familiar :grin:

The kinkier your hair is, the harder it is for the treatment to take. So, if you are natural, it will take longer and maybe more solution. It might not be AS straight as relaxed hair, but it will loosen the pattern significantly. It can be done on your hair.

That's pretty much what I assumed.
I didn't really go in expecting to have a supremely straight style, but I knew I would have had something different than what I walked in with.

Bottom line is, if these treatments need your hair to be "pre straightened" before it is effective, then they DO NOT need to be advertising as if they can and will do it on "all hair types," and especially the way they say it will work really well with African American hair types... that's just wrong.

I wanted to write about the process period... but eh... I got me another style

That's pretty much what I assumed.
I didn't really go in expecting to have a supremely straight style, but I knew I would have had something different than what I walked in with.

Bottom line is, if these treatments need your hair to be "pre straightened" before it is effective, then they DO NOT need to be advertising as if they can and will do it on "all hair types," and especially the way they say it will work really well with African American hair types... that's just wrong.

I wanted to write about the process period... but eh... I got me another style

i watched 20/20 special on the japanese treatment that showed it taking out some white people's hair and it was stated that it would destroy most african-american textures

Hey, think of it this way...you get to keep all that money in yo pocket!!! :yep:

I'd take it as a blessing too, Lord only knows how your hair would've taken to the treatment. "I'll keep my hair on my head for $200 Alex."

I did the BTK myself at home with LOTS of ventilation. It worked very well. It didn't make my hair straight straight but I think it got it to look like someone who is texturized/texlaxed. It works well and I can rollerset it or flatiron it straight. It is soooo such stronger too. Maybe you should find a salon that uses Global Keratin. That company has a treatment for "afro" or extremely curly hair. It didn't use that kind but, I will next time.

i watched 20/20 special on the japanese treatment that showed it taking out some white people's hair and it was stated that it would destroy most african-american textures

I heard about that too.
I didn't necessarily want a permanent straightener, I just wanted to try something new... but maybe it was a good thing, so I'm chillin:)

Hey, think of it this way...you get to keep all that money in yo pocket!!! :yep:

I'd take it as a blessing too, Lord only knows how your hair would've taken to the treatment. "I'll keep my hair on my head for $200 Alex."
Exactly.
Now I'm chillin in a lace front til further notice.

Back