Would you texturize your sons hair?

keepithealthy

I'm just wondering would any of you ladies ever texturize your sons hair?
I was looking around on youtube and saw this video of this woman texturizing her sons hair.
YouTube - S Curl Texturizer Tutorial

He seems pretty young..maybe 9 or 10. I can't really tell.
I personally don't see a reason to texturize a boys hair. If I couldn't deal with it I would cut it off and he could grow it out if he wanted to when he got older.

We are letting my 11 year old nephew grow out his hair. Of course now that his hair is getting longer he's been all up in my stash...I caught him co-washing the other morning :lachen: He wants it long enough so that he can get twists. One of my relatives suggested a texturizer since his hair is 4z...I was like :nono::nono:

I mean to each it's own but the idea of texturzing a young boys hair is just wierd to me:perplexed

What's ya take ladies?

Nope. That's just too extra for a little boy's hair. I strongly dislike texture changing chemicals in childrens hair anyway.

No I wouldn't. If he wants to grow his hair long he'd have to learn how to work with what he's got.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Why? You don't need to even do that much with a boy's head. Get a fade, cut it low, WHATEVER and keep it moving. What's with everyone doing weird stuff to their little kids' hair? :perplexed

Last edited:
Nope, not conkin' my boy's hair. Mine is almost 12 and doesn't like the way he looks
with his hair cut into a low or dark Caesar anymore. Something to do with his ears,
I'm thinking, lol.

I've taught him how to oil-rinse his 4a/4b fro and, because he has the attention span
of a gnat these days, his daily regi is super simple. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and
Fridays, he uses SCurl and olive oil to moisturize before showering in the morning.
If he forgets to do that, because SCurl is soooo good, he knows to put on a shower
cap after showering to trap that moisture and help the leftover SCurl work.

I also bought him one of those old school metal picks I saw at the barber shop and it
works 100% better than the plastic ones.

There isn't a whole lot of information on how to maintain an afro out there. He
doesn't want twists or braids or locs. And he will not be having his hair processed. :nono:

Hell no................

My exact words. I wouldn't texxturize or relax my daughter's hair either, by what put a boy through all that when he doesn't have to? The stuff girls go through with their hair image and styling their hair is a burden I wouldn't place on anyone (not even another girl). Let them decide what they want to do when they come of age.

Plus I wouldn't want my son to become THAT interested in his appearance.

What's with everyone doing weird stuff to their little kids' hair? :perplexed

Its becoming more acceptable for people to project their own insecurities on their children.

Last edited:
:hide:........................ I did, BACK IN THE DAY, when He was around 9 or 10.

Ok so my son has beautiful hair, 3b-3c and I use to get his hair cut in that Craig Mack fro, ya'll remember, low sides low fro. It would look so nice the first day of the cut and I could never get it to look like that smooth afro look once he washed it.

It was actually was his barber who suggest it when I expressed my feelings about his fro looking wonky. I did try using gel but because I didn't really know about the different gels and I really only knew about that black gel, Ampro it didn't do well at all, so I figured why not try the texturizer.

I combed the texturizer through with a big comb a few times and washed it out and he'd put a little s-curl in it and it would look good for a few weeks then it would get crunchy and look crazy, :lachen::lachen:

I figured I was being really dumb because he already had a nice curl patter to his hair, I just needed to find the right procduct to enhance his curls and I started using MasterCuts Curl Lock Curl Cream and that gave him a really nice hold and enhanced his curls. I just had a hard time paying like $15 for a lil curling cream for a 9yr old :nono::ohwell:

So I just cut that jive into a bald fade and called it a day, but it was my first introduction into dealing with naturally curly hair.:yep:

I said all that to say, :nono: I don't recommend a texturizer for a young boy, no chemicals in a minors hair, girl or boy!!!!!

i wouldn't do that to my son or daughter. i am growing my son's hair out now and i am noticing that i will need to cowash his hair more and find a really good moisturizer for him. his hair seems to be more drier than mine, so my products aren't really working for him.

No way. Not for my son nor my daughter. I saw a little boy (about 7 or 8) with relaxed hair (it was cut real low and brushed flat, but I was informed it was relaxed because the mom didn't like 4b hair at all...even cut real low) :nono: Come on people, who does that?

I am a strong believer in parents NOT putting chemicals in the hair of their children (male and female) until they are at least 13 or 14 AND it is the child's decision and not the parent influencing that decision.

With all the garbage being forced feed to us about who has/what makes "good hair," I feel so strongly about kids - and especially black kids - not being taught to hate their natural hair and there is nothing worse than a parent who reinforces this notion by putting chemicals in the kids' hair and/or putting weaves on the head of their young daughters.

No way. Not for my son nor my daughter. I saw a little boy (about 7 or 8) with relaxed hair (it was cut real low and brushed flat, but I was informed it was relaxed because the mom didn't like 4b hair at all...even cut real low) :nono: Come on people, who does that?

Ummm.....my mother in law, that's who. She relaxed my DH's hair at 9. Now, mind you, he didn't ask for it and has a sister who's just 1 year younger than him, so she already had a head of hair to "experiment" on. Why'd she do it, you ask? Cuz my DH didn't get his father's so-called "pretty hair" (I DESPISE that term, btw), and that was her way of getting that particular genetic feature. DH said the kids at the school teased him relentlessly, until he refused to allow her to do it again.

I always knew she had color issues, but this story cemented it for me.

IMO, this decision is almost always based on a lack of self-acceptance, no matter the supposed reason the parent gives. Yeah, I said it. Smh

Last edited:
No way. It looks horrible as it starts growing out and as someone already said, I wouldn't want my son that wrapped up in his appearance.

I raised my younger brother for years. He has a combination of hair textures.
At one point he wanted to grow his hair out to a big fro. I had a guy show him how to maintain it
I let him know if he didn't keep it up, it was coming off. Soon as he started slacking and looking
crazy, he was in a barber chair getting a low cut. My brother wanted a texturizer too; however, I had to remind him
That I was in charge and til he was grown, I called the shots. He's 22 now and still wears his hair cut low, no chemicals.
Problem solved!
'

I raised my younger brother for years. He has a combination of hair textures.
At one point he wanted to grow his hair out to a big fro. I had a guy show him how to maintain it
I let him know if he didn't keep it up, it was coming off. Soon as he started slacking and looking
crazy, he was in a barber chair getting a low cut. My brother wanted a texturizer too; however, I had to remind him
That I was in charge and til he was grown, I called the shots. He's 22 now and still wears his hair cut low, no chemicals.
Problem solved!
'

so low/bald hair is the "look" for black boys?

No of course not, but I don't think chemically altered hair is the answer either. Especially if it's not put on properly, the kid could end up looking like a pimp LOL

BTW my boy is a big a** 19 year old. When he was 14 he decided to grow out his hair. He had it very long and he'd have it in curls like that boy from High School Musical LOL , picked out Afro, slicked back, etc. After almost 2 years he got bored with it and he's had it bald ever since. I didn't like it but I let him get it out of his system.

When he started using my Curls products I knew homeboy was gonna have to cut his hair or I was about to have a fit LOL

Nope, not conkin' my boy's hair. Mine is almost 12 and doesn't like the way he looks
with his hair cut into a low or dark Caesar anymore. Something to do with his ears,
I'm thinking, lol.

I've taught him how to oil-rinse his 4a/4b fro and, because he has the attention span
of a gnat these days, his daily regi is super simple. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and
Fridays, he uses SCurl and olive oil to moisturize before showering in the morning.
If he forgets to do that, because SCurl is soooo good, he knows to put on a shower
cap after showering to trap that moisture and help the leftover SCurl work.

I also bought him one of those old school metal picks I saw at the barber shop and it
works 100% better than the plastic ones.

There isn't a whole lot of information on how to maintain an afro out there. He
doesn't want twists or braids or locs. And he will not be having his hair processed. :nono:

Yeah I'm also teaching my nephew but we already let him know it's his responsibility to take care of his head.If his head starts looking all crazy it's off to the barber shop! (we purchased one of those metal picks for my nephew too)

that's just sad:nono:

I am a strong believer in parents NOT putting chemicals in the hair of their children (male and female) until they are at least 13 or 14 AND it is the child's decision and not the parent influencing that decision.

With all the garbage being forced feed to us about who has/what makes "good hair," I feel so strongly about kids - and especially black kids - not being taught to hate their natural hair and there is nothing worse than a parent who reinforces this notion by putting chemicals in the kids' hair and/or putting weaves on the head of their young daughters.

WHY!! I feel some kinda way about seeing a little girl with a grown woman weave...When I picked my cousin up from school this week, there was a little girl with a big ole matted tangled weave slapped up on her head....come on people. I'm sure braiding her hair or putting it in pony tails would look better than that.

Ummm.....my mother in law, that's who. She relaxed my DH's hair at 9. Now, mind you, he didn't ask for it and has a sister who's just 1 year younger than him, so she already had a head of hair to "experiment" on. Why'd she do it, you ask? Cuz my DH didn't get his father's so-called "pretty hair" (I DESPISE that term, btw), and that was her way of getting that particular genetic feature. DH said the kids at the school teased him relentlessly, until he refused to allow her to do it again.

I always knew she had color issues, but this story cemented it for me.

IMO, this decision is almost always based on a lack of self-acceptance, no matter the supposed reason the parent gives. Yeah, I said it. Smh

Whether we like it or not people still have these kind of issues. that's just sad

so low/bald hair is the "look" for black boys?

No I don't think so. I personally don't mind seeing a black boy with long hair as long as it is well groomed.

BostonMaria;12565039]No of course not, but I don't think chemically altered hair is the answer either. Especially if it's not put on properly, the kid could end up looking like a pimp LOL

:lol:
images.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF[/QUOTE]

It never would have occurred to me to put a kit in my son's hair. No relaxers for the daughter either.

Back