Would You Date Someone With A Mood Disorder

Kindheart

who has to take pills for his depression ?
He's kind,fairly good looking,smitten with you ,financially stable but very needy,afraid of being lonely ,insecure and hangs out with people younger than him .
(Not for me)

anigif_enhanced-buzz-21934-1405610184-29.gif

No. There is only room for one mentally ill person in any relationship and that position is already taken up by me.

At one point during my worst time experiencing depression it appeared that my husband was a bit depressed also. My illness has been a strain on him. I told him I do not have the strength to support myself and him if he got depressed and I would have to divorce his behind if he became depressed too.

Even if I was not depressed, knowing what I know, I would not start a relationship with someone like that. It would affect me too much.

No. There is only room for one mentally ill person in any relationship and that position is already taken up by me.

At one point during my worst time experiencing depression it appeared that my husband was a bit depressed also. My illness has been a strain on him. I told him I do not have the strength to support myself and him if he got depressed and I would have to divorce his behind if he became depressed too.

Even if I was not depressed, knowing what I know, I would not start a relationship with someone like that. It would affect me too much.
Right! I already said in another thread we cant both be ****ed up :nono:

I prefer not to. I have anxiety-depression and depression runs strongly on both sides of my family so I've seen a relationship where both people have a mood disorder. On the one hand, they don't have to explain things to each other. On the other, it's exhausting. I'd love to break this cycle if I could for my future children. I would never date someone who is depressed and denies it or someone not depressed who thinks depression is made up or something in our heads. But I wouldn't rule out someone like me with self-awareness and self-knowledge.

I have my own moods to deal with. Though, in hindsight, I'm pretty sure an ex of mine had some sort of mood/bipolar issue. Too much drama for me. We were INTENSE.

No especially if I already know before falling for the person. It's hard enough trying to stay sane and at peace with things that happen in life as it is. A person with a mood disorder and a personality disorder are at somewhat of a disadvantage and make relationships that much more difficult imo... So yeah...no thanks. To me, women who always want to save a ***** or are just addicted to misery and drama..(but dont even know it) are best suited for these types. Either way....the people with that type of energy will attract them. I speak from observasion and experience.

I think the answers in the thread reflect why people tend to stay in the closet/denile/unmedicated because of such strong stigmas.

I think someone dealing with their issues head-on should be given a chance. No one is perfect.

But it does take a strong, real relationship to be able to deal with those type of issues. It's not play-play. So if you're unsure, it's better to leave the fella alone, I think.

I would date someone with anxiety/ depression as long as he took care of himself (therapy, etc.) and did not let it control his life. So many people suffer the anxiety / depression at some point in their lives. I wouldn't rule a guy out based on that alone. I wouldn't date someone who was bipolar or had a mood disorder though.

@OriginalBeauty
For me the problem was exacerbated by the bolded. Depressed and on meds is enough to be concerned about, but the bolded makes it a deal breaker situation IMO.

who has to take pills for his depression ?
He's kind,fairly good looking,smitten with you ,financially stable but very needy,afraid of being lonely ,insecure and hangs out with people younger than him .
(Not for me)

I think the answers in the thread reflect why people tend to stay in the closet/denile/unmedicated because of such strong stigmas.

I think someone dealing with their issues head-on should be given a chance. No one is perfect.

But it does take a strong, real relationship to be able to deal with those type of issues. It's not play-play. So if you're unsure, it's better to leave the fella alone, I think.

I sympathize with people who struggle with depression. It's not a judgement thing, I know that it's a serious illness.

But for ME, relationships are difficult enough as it is. And my emotional/mental well-being trumps everything.

And even if depression wasn't an issue, the other things mentioned in the OP would be deal-breakers anyway.

Back