work it out

gone_fishing

Ooops...I posted this before but I was told it was in the wrong section so here I go again.

Hi ladies! This is only my second post as I introduced myself in another thread but this issue has popped into my mind a few times. I feel sometimes like black women sacrifice exercise so their hair can look great - longer.

I've been trying to find a work out buddy for a few months. It would be free as I'm allowed to have two adults on my YWCA membership and being divorced well...I'm the ony adult.

It's been frustrating trying to get any of my black female friends to participate because they don't want the hassle of the hair care regimen working out and sweating every other day requires. They'd rather have pretty hair than work out when I think you can have both.

Have any of you ever shirked an aggressive work out routine because you didn't want to deal with your hair afterwards. Do any of you have workout routines that require you to wash your hair more frequently...such as I do 45 minutes or so of cardio 3 times a week. Doing the weight training on my no cardio days doesn't cause me to really sweat a lot so I pretty much have to wash and deep condition my hair every other day.

For those of you who have normal work out routines...does that cause you to care for your hair differently? And is there anyone here who would admit to not committing to a normal workout routine because you don't want to deal with the extra hassle to take care of your hair? If so, what are some pointers we could offer each other to help out.

Thank you!

couldn't agree more. i'm natural and when i wear my hair flat-ironed straight, i don't work out because i know my hair is done the minute i do.

its difficult because i work out on an almost daily basis (4-6 times per week) and when i was in heavier training for an event last year, i was working out twice a day 6x a week.

when i'm working out regularly, i rinse my hair after my morning workouts, run some conditioner thru it and put it up into a bun or a ponytail or else i'll do a wash and wear style. but its frustrating because my hair looks best when its down and straight.

anyway, its hard for some of us, because its a choice of your hair or your body & workout routine. you want to look good...you want to be fit. its tuff.
i can't wait til a sweat-free workout is invented! :)

best of luck finding a workout partner and a hairstyle that flatters you and fits your needs.

I know that I'm also anti-sweat bc I feel a little gross when my scalp sweats so much and I don't wash it. Even if it's only been a couple of days since the last wash.

My hair is so extremely thick, i feel a little like a bush woman when I would leave the gym sometimes!

My answer to this is doing exercises like pilates and cardio that doesn't make me sweat so much. For those ladies who are really into exercise, this probably isn't a good solution, but it would probably work for a partial couch potato like me!

Welcome Adequate! :wave:

I work out and I have to admit that I don't do fancy styles because of that. Not to mention that the humidity this time of year isn't helping either. I just CW daily, put it in a bun or ponytail and keep it moving. I'm not trying to sacrifice my health and my figure just so I can be fried, dyed, and laid to the side. I can always do my hair if I need it to look nice.

It's a trade off, sure, but one that I'm willing to make.

I wish I lived near you because I would join you, since being Natural I like to workout even more because I don't have no set style and I just Conditioner wash and put on a headband and go, I like for my scalp to feel good and smell fresh plus I get the added bounus of scalp stimulation from exercise and extra growth LOL!!!

Thanks so much for starting this thread! I am a newbie (hey everyone:wave: ).I have to come out of lurking because this has been on my mind all week. I have avoided exercising for this very reason. Since I have been on the journey to healthy hair it occurred to me to get my body healthy as well. I HAVE to wash my hair after a workout because I am a SWEATER, I airdry, which I know is healthier but I don't feel "neat" with airdried hair. I wish I didn't have to worry about the hair thing, because I feel like exercising will actually help with my hair growth.

Thank you for the responses and admissions. I'm glad to know that I wasn't making this up in my head because although they won't come right out and say it, I notice they (some of my female friends) always avoid sweaty activities. I play flag football and getting another black girl to join our team has been next to impossible.

My routine seems to work pretty well for me. It takes a lot of time and upkeep but I don't want to walk around with beautiful hair and a flabby boddy. I need both beautiful hair and a toned hiney! I also think exercise is stimulating - I wonder if there are any studies that show it promotes hair growth?

adequate said:
Ooops...I posted this before but I was told it was in the wrong section so here I go again.

Hi ladies! This is only my second post as I introduced myself in another thread but this issue has popped into my mind a few times. I feel sometimes like black women sacrifice exercise so their hair can look great - longer.

I've been trying to find a work out buddy for a few months. It would be free as I'm allowed to have two adults on my YWCA membership and being divorced well...I'm the ony adult.

It's been frustrating trying to get any of my black female friends to participate because they don't want the hassle of the hair care regimen working out and sweating every other day requires. They'd rather have pretty hair than work out when I think you can have both.

Have any of you ever shirked an aggressive work out routine because you didn't want to deal with your hair afterwards. Do any of you have workout routines that require you to wash your hair more frequently...such as I do 45 minutes or so of cardio 3 times a week. Doing the weight training on my no cardio days doesn't cause me to really sweat a lot so I pretty much have to wash and deep condition my hair every other day.

For those of you who have normal work out routines...does that cause you to care for your hair differently? And is there anyone here who would admit to not committing to a normal workout routine because you don't want to deal with the extra hassle to take care of your hair? If so, what are some pointers we could offer each other to help out.

Thank you!

You make a great point! I have definitely had to go to the gym alone lately. Just know I'm working it out over here! :D

Your pics are so pretty! Welcome to LHCF! :)

NappyParadise said:
I wish I lived near you because I would join you, since being Natural I like to workout even more because I don't have no set style and I just Conditioner wash and put on a headband and go, I like for my scalp to feel good and smell fresh plus I get the added bounus of scalp stimulation from exercise and extra growth LOL!!!

I'm in Texas, too! What city? :)

Back