Why so short in the middle

It~Can~Grow

Ok ladies,

I'm looking for a cure, finally, to why my hair is shorter in the middle towards the end.

I thought, "maybe it's because I wear buns?" That cant be it because that's our retention giant.

Then I thought, "maybe I'm rubbing my hair off while I sleep" (ok that was my mothers logic)?

I'm very, VERY interested in hearing your feedback because as my hair grows (I do realize once I finally do obtain my desired length I will have to cut about 2 inches so it will look decent) I continue to have this 'hole' at the bottom and will do whatever it takes for it to finally go away.

Also: I realize some responses will be once you cut it - it will grow out evenly. I dont think that's so in my case, because as you can see from my starting pic, it was cut fairly even and now we're here again. :perplexed

As always, thanks for any helpful advice you can give me :yep:

I have that same problem sometimes myself. The texture middle of my hair is much more corse and thicker than the rest and I have to watch how I am detangling that section because I get more breakage there than anywhere else if I'm not careful.
How you are wearing your bun can be a factor also if you wear it in the same position all the time. It can cause that particular area to become too stressed and cause breakage.

HTH :)

Thanks, Marand13

I have that same problem sometimes myself. The texture middle of my hair is much more corse and thicker than the rest and I have to watch how I am detangling that section because I get more breakage there than anywhere else if I'm not careful.
How you are wearing your bun can be a factor also if you wear it in the same position all the time. It can cause that particular area to become too stressed and cause breakage.

HTH :)

Guess this could be one of my problems because I do wear my bun in the same spot ALL the time :nono:.

Thanks, again

I have the same problem and make the joke that I have a reverse mohawk. I damaged my hair with a change in relaxer and reggie. The middle is PITIFUL - broken and thin. I have been working on correcting my hair since January. My sides are gorgeous and it drives me crazy. My goal is to be patient. Slap in a couple of clip-on tracks when I wear my hair out and need volume.

Cutting does not work. My left side was the slowest to grow. I kept cutting to attempt to make it even. It never worked. I eventually gave up and let it do Its thing.

I have the same problem and make the joke that I have a reverse mohawk. I damaged my hair with a change in relaxer and reggie. The middle is PITIFUL - broken and thin. I have been working on correcting my hair since January. My sides are gorgeous and it drives me crazy. My goal is to be patient. Slap in a couple of clip-on tracks when I wear my hair out and need volume.

Cutting does not work. My left side was the slowest to grow. I kept cutting to attempt to make it even. It never worked. I eventually gave up and let it do Its thing.

Wow- this sounds like my story about the cutting to make it even, I am now also letting my hair do it's thing.

OP- I am willing to bet you it is the bunning. It wasn't until I stopped bunning that I was able to see some progress in the back of my head. I always bunned in the same spot too. Try to do some other protective styles while your nurture this area back to health.

I recently discovered that my soft bonnet dryer doesn't distribute heat evenly, so it was burning & damaging my hair in back of the crown. My hair is nice everywhere except for that patch. I haven't used the dryer since the summer, so now my new growth at the back is coming in like the front & sides. It's got a lot of catching up to do though.

I have the same thing going on with my hair. Miss Tress, I think I have the same thing going on with my dryer. Now, I keep it on low and rotate it. The hair texture in this area appears to be 4c, medium fine strands and very fragile. I remember once when I wore braids, the hair broke off severely. I'm currently working hard on growing this area in. My last touch up was in the beginning of sept and my stylist commented on how this area was growing in nicely. I pray that by my next touch up (end of december) The gap will be even smaller.

I'm also starting to notice this problem. I think I part my hair down the middle too much. And I wear a bun allll the time. I just want to baby my ends. I think I need to switch that up too.

I used the baggie method early on in my hair journey, however, my hair did not react well to the constant moisture. I wish I would have paid attention to the signs, but I baggied for at least a year until I realized that it wasn't for me. Being a fine strand girl, too much moisture can wreck havoc, causing mushy, hair with no elasticity! IMO, my hair is improving greatly thanks to Joico Kpak...this line of products contain the protein and moisture balance my hair greatly needed.

BTW, adora I did'nt comment in the other threads...but you have very lovely hair!!

Last edited:

I completely agree. My starting pic is proof of that (at least for me) my ends were blunt and even but that thin middle turned up some how...

Anyone else figured out a solution, or partial solution to growing out the nape and keeping it flourishing????

DId you ever think about trying the baggie method? this might help

You know, come to think of it...I did baggy the first year and forgot about the whole baggy thing in 09"...humm guess I forgot about the horse that brought me.

I suppose I thought bun ='d baggy...Thanks for the excellent reminder!!!:yep:

i suffered from this for the many years until a light bulb went off one day and i relized it was heat damage from my drier. whenever i would DC my crown would get the most heat since it dosen't diffuse the heat as well as high end/salon quality driers. when i would take my plastic cap off that area was always dry to a crisp!

my solution was to first cut my thinning crown to a healthy length. i also apply more additional conditioner to my crown when DC under my drier. that area has since grown out very nice.

I have the opposite as my sides grow slower or I retain less of them. Baggying under your bun may be the way to go. Also how you wrap your hair may factor in too. I would try upping the care and handlage of the weaker area that and trying to thicken it up some so it may be more resistant to breakage may be something to look into.

I have this same problem, my hair in the mid region of my head is thinned at the ends and weak sometimes.
It's funny because some people with short hair have swirls in the mid region of their head, I wonder if that area is weaker, sorta like vellus hair?

Back