Why Shrinkage Can Be A Good Thing

HeChangedMyName

A little encouragement for those of us who deal with shrinkage.

• You can fool people with the short look, and also do longer styles without having to cut or weave
  • It protects your ends from the normal wear and tear that would come from rubbing on your clothes
  • Shrinkage keeps your hair nicely bundled up and protected from the elements of wind, heat, sun, etc.
  • Rain can only make it better.
IMG_3037-vi.jpg

this is the day of my BC March 27(I transitioned for 1 year) shrinkage is like whooooo

It takes a long time to see some length in the shrunken state but once it comes it is beautiful. My hair is BSL straight, here's my shrunken W N G.

Attachments

• 4.21.12.jpg
    4.21.12.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
I appreciate my shrinkage too...IDK why it has such a bad reputation. Shrinkage allowed me to wear wng's for years without dealing with hair brushing on my shoulder and collar. Shrinkage increases volume...I can wear big hair. I can workout with my hair completely out and not be hot because it's light, fluffy, and goes upwards...

The list goes on.

Last edited:
I do like the big hair aspect. I did NOT like my shrinkage when I first went natural though. At all. when you're accustomed to having hair a certain length and then, suddenly, you're hair appears half the length, it can take some getting used to. It is literally over a year later that I have become accustomed to the way my hair looks shrunken.

Can you ladies add some pics/words of encouragement on the benefits of shrinkage?

1st pic is of my overnight and wrapped up shrinkage after taking off my scarf in the morning.

2nd pic is my wash and go shrinkage.

3rd pic is my blow dry.

4th pic is my flat iron.

I love the versatility of having natural hair because I can wash and go or twist more often in hot summer weather but then I can blow dry and/or flat iron in colder temperatures.

Another thing is that I notice a fuller volume in natural hair that has been flat ironed compared to chemically straightened hair that has been flat ironed.

I can wear my hair straight every once and a while and that is when I get to be surprised at my growth progress. Plus, my hair length is like a wonderful secret that I keep to myself when my hair is up in twists but when I pull on them I smile at what I see. :grin:

Attachments

• helmet hair 1.jpeg
    helmet hair 1.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 100_9512 (640x549).jpg
    100_9512 (640x549).jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 134
  • blowdried hair4.jpeg
    blowdried hair4.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 108
  • flatironed.jpeg
    flatironed.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 120
GoodMernin said:
1st pic is of my overnight and wrapped up shrinkage after taking off my scarf in the morning.

2nd pic is my wash and go shrinkage.

3rd pic is my blow dry.

4th pic is my flat iron.

I love the versatility of having natural hair because I can wash and go or twist more often in hot summer weather but then I can blow dry and/or flat iron in colder temperatures.

Another thing is that I notice a fuller volume in natural hair that has been flat ironed compared to chemically straightened hair that has been flat ironed.

I can wear my hair straight every once and a while and that is when I get to be surprised at my growth progress. Plus, my hair length is like a wonderful secret that I keep to myself when my hair is up in twists but when I pull on them I smile at what I see. :grin:

Love your flat ironed hair.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

From another discussion:

OP, I absolutely love shrinkage. I love it because:
  • It gives me an option to wear my hair short w/o cutting it;

• It keeps my hair up and away from my neck and clothes so that I don't have a messy collar and my face neck aren't breaking out or looking like a greased monster;

• It helps me forget about my hair and get used to it being "short" so that when I accidentally do a length check or decide I want a longer do, I'm pleasantly surprised;

• I love my coils. They may not be visible to anyone else unless I let them get up close and personal but I know they are there and I think they are beautiful and I feel beautiful sporting such a mane;

• I have never cared to have hair like anyone else and I don't try to do what other people do. Instead I play with just my hair and let it show me what it can do; and so for me shrinkage is like part of this adventure. My tarantula hairdo was a fluke and I absolutely loved it. Just wondered what would happen if I rolled my twists and let them airdry and I went from this:
    Twistsshrunkenafterawash-vi.jpg

...to this:
    MyBelovedTarantulaDoLOL-vi.jpg
    And boy did I feel hawt with that do, even though my hubby thought it looked like tarantulas on my head. :rofl:

• And then there was my Lisa Simpson do. Another "out-of-the-blue" invention that I had never seen anywhere and was not trying to create but my hair insisted that I wasn't going to have just a regular ol' puff but it'd add a twist to my puff and once I stopped fighting it, I LOVED it. I was trying to reproduce something similar to my signature look then:
    AnotherPuffDoMarch2007-vi.jpg

...but my cornrows were too fat and so the ends would not blend together into one puff. I gave up and to my surprise, I absolutely adored the style--as did so many people! And it's still one of my favorite styles:
    InterestingAfroPuffOct2008-vi.jpg

• Shrinkage helps my style stay nice looking all day: the wind could blow hard, I could be caught in a drizzle... And while I won't go out seeking these trouble-makers, they do little to ruin my hair when my hair is shrunken;

• Shrinkage gives my hair more versatility. I read so many times how folks saw a style they liked and wanted to cut their their hair like that, and just smile coz I know I can pull it off w/o cutting my hair. Like the curly cut where the top is longer than the sides and back? I can achieve that by taking advantage of shrinkage and patting the areas I need to be short(er) :grin:;

• I do love the shock in people's faces when I go from having "long" hair to having "short" hair and back to "long" hair[....]

• Fullness: I have fine strands that I wear in twists and they look sparse and skinny and just not very nice when done on stretched hair, but after I wash them and shrinkage comes into play, they fatten and look nicer and fuller...and even have movement so they fall into place and my hair maintains a "done" appearance.

TwistsBeforeandAfter-vi.jpg

More shrinkage = more fullness:
Twistsoverlap-vi.jpg

• "Hang Time": When my hair is stretched it's so light that gravity has no effect on it so my twists would stick up in the air after a wind blew and stay pointing heavenward if I wore stretched twists, like this...
HairthatDefiesGravityLOL-vi.jpg

...and would probably keep voguing :madonna: until another wind returned in the opposite direction to put them back down. :lol: With shrinkage my twists have weight and I can sport a cute bob that falls back into place so I don't poke someone's eye out:​
November22010-vi.jpg

• Bangs without cutting: Shrinkage allows me to have bangs w/o having to cut my hair. When I twist stretched hair, the twists hang over my face and I'd have to sweep them to the side for those sort of bangs (see twists to the right):
IMG00294201003292341-vi.jpg

But soon after doing them, I CW to fatten them and also shrink them up and give them "shape". You can see shrinkage taking place here:
Curformersonwetbraids-vi.jpg

And after several washes, I have normal looking bangs:
NoniesKaiLanHairdoLOL-vi.jpg

• Hair of different "lengths": And if you need a visual of what I was talmbout when I said I could go from long to short, due to shrinkage, here you go: I can wear TWA that is this short:
rabouttorinsebeforeflatironing-vi.jpg

Or I can stretch my hair and be able to wear a style that can be worn with longer hair:
Shrinkage2010-vi.jpg

And it's not just the surprise factor that's fun about going from long to short to long again, but also the limitless number of looks I can sport with such a versatile mane:
Shrinkagerocks-vi.jpg

Last edited:
@GoodMernin I like your blow out. What is your blow dry regimen? Do you use tension or an attachment? What products (cond'r/heat protectant)? lWhat is your flat iron regimen (what kind of flat iron; comb-chase)? Thanks, your hair type & level of shrinkage looks very close to mine, do you have thick strands, too?

I love my shrinkage too for all the reasons everyone mentioned. I love the versatility it provides without having to cut. It's my favorite ps.

@GoodMernin I like your blow out. What is your blow dry regimen? Do you use tension or an attachment? What products (cond'r/heat protectant)? lWhat is your flat iron regimen (what kind of flat iron; comb-chase)? Thanks, your hair type & level of shrinkage looks very close to mine, do you have thick strands, too?

Thanks Virtue!

My blow dry method is with a comb attachment on medium blow/high heat.

I do a deep condition with Cantu Shea Butter mixed with EVOO, honey, and whole leave aloe vera juice.

I flat iron with a 1 inch Sedu with no comb chase method and my strands are very fine and break easily if not combed gently from tip to root.

Now, because of this thread I am tempted to do a wash and go. It's been months but I may do one tonight!!

Thanks Virtue!

My blow dry method is with a comb attachment on medium blow/high heat.

I do a deep condition with Cantu Shea Butter mixed with EVOO, honey, and whole leave aloe vera juice.

I flat iron with a 1 inch Sedu with no comb chase method and my strands are very fine and break easily if not combed gently from tip to root.

Now, because of this thread I am tempted to do a wash and go. It's been months but I may do one tonight!!

I never thought about using the Cantu as a deep conditioner. . .hmmmmmmmmm

I got another reason, that I don't think I mentioned. wearing your shrinkage keeps the hair from being stressed via heat, stretching,tension. which I can imagine, allows for the cuticle to stay stronger. . .which leads to better strength and retention. . .which leads to longer growing hair.

I love my shrinkage. My co-worker says my hair confuses her. I don't blame her; I have magical hair. It can go from a short curly fro to a bun in 24 hours. Only a select few (well 20% of the world, but I like feeling special :lol:) have the ability to do this.

I love shrinkage and wich I had more!!!! I actually get hang time with my wng's which a lot of people seem to want. But I dont care for that. I want the big fro!!! I want my hair to go out and up!!!

I LOVE BIG HAIR!!!

It is shrinkage
That makes my hair look so thick
Hide bad hair cuts
Create massive volume
Allows me to rock a chic TWA at SL
:love:

I never thought about using the Cantu as a deep conditioner. . .hmmmmmmmmm

I got another reason, that I don't think I mentioned. wearing your shrinkage keeps the hair from being stressed via heat, stretching,tension. which I can imagine, allows for the cuticle to stay stronger. . .which leads to better strength and retention. . .which leads to longer growing hair.

Ohhhh that Cantu shea butter is great and so versatile!!

When I'm going to flat iron, I use it as a deep conditioner but when I wear my hair fluffy, I use it as a leave in.

I love that stuff.

I just discovered another great thing about shrinkage. It helps distract you while your hair is growing. When I was relaxed, I could always see where my length was, but as a natural, I think it is exciting to have my hands in my hair and "feel" like WOW that hair didn't come out that far when I stretched a coil out last time.

I love shrinkage because I can save money on ponytail holders.

I love shrinkage because I don't have to fuss with my hair for work... It'll remain above my collar for at least another year :giggle:

I love shrinkage because it's fun to watch my coils go "boing" when I stretch and release.

I like that I'll be surprised come June.

I love my shrinkage because:
~it protects my hair from my clothes
~of the whole surprise factor
~my beautiful curls & coils are on display

I love my shrinkage because:
~it protects my hair from my clothes
~of the whole surprise factor
~my beautiful curls & coils are on display

Your growth progress is beautiful.

You look like a pixie with long hair if that makes any sense. Your long hair compliments your face. It's so cute!

Shrinkage is how I cope with humidity. NYC is the hottest, stickiest place outside of an actual jungle in the world in summer. When humidity is high I don't bother to stretch my hair I do a shrunken style. If the hair is already curled up as tight as it can get ie shrinkage, then humidity doesn't phase it.

Back