White/Jewish guy asked me today: When are you going to comb your hair?

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Is there a jawdrop smilie??

Yes, this is what he asked me. See he is "familiar" with most of the black folx in the office and they share in making jokes with each other. Actually, he jokes around with everyone and everyone jokes around with him. Except....me. I've only been with the company for like 8 mos and i don't know him that well.

Anyway, i go into the kitchen to get a snack and James (him) and I are the only two people in there. We have our backs to each other taking care of our individual needs. I'm staring at the snack machine when I hear a voice ask "Are you going to comb your hair today?". I don't stop what I'm doing and pretend that he isn't talking to me because i'm thinking did he just say that?

So, he says "Miss Bre, are you going to comb your hair today?". I turnaround and say with a smile "yes, I did comb my hair today" and walk out. I didn't do it in a joking around with him way, just a smile on my face even though inside i'm thinking wtf!!

My hair by the way was in a thick and luscious twist out.

A few hours later he came and apologized profusely for his "joke" saying he didn't mean to be offensive and that everyone here knows that i am the jokester, blah, blah, blah. I just accepted his apology because at this point I still didn't know what the heck to do. He probably thought I was going to go to HR.

I can't believe someone said this to me in the workplace :nono:

I'd just let it be known that I don't like to play around that way.

He's an idiot. :lol:

I can see playing around with people you know, but he needed a slap for saying that to you.

It took him a few hours to apologize? Yeah, he must have sat around worried sick when you didn't make him think it was ok that he said that.

"Are you going to comb your hair today?" I mean, come on, really?:nono:

"Well are you going to take a bath today you mangy bastard?" that's what I mighta asked him. "please tell me are you gonna brush your teeth this week?"

This got me PO'd just readin it. I think he was actually serious and apologized just in case to cover his tail.

Oh, I'm just WAITIN' for somebody at my job to say something crazy like that to me. This past week was my first time going to work with my hair in its natural state. It sounds like you handled your situation well. I hope I can be as tactful as you were!

Sorry, Fab and Countrygal, you kinda had me giggling a little. I just can't get over people's audacity at times. It's always good to remember that a quick cool and calm "Shut the f**k up" can speak volumes. Casually thrown over the shoulder, it can do wonders :yep:

Where is my combat boots, we are going to war. Imma need a photo of this guy at 23:00 hours, dont worry he wont be at work talking crap Monday. LOL:lachen:

"Well are you going to take a bath today you mangy bastard?" that's what I mighta asked him. "please tell me are you gonna brush your teeth this week?"

This got me PO'd just readin it. I think he was actually serious and apologized just in case to cover his tail.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::

Not tryna ruin the mood but that is funny!:lachen:

I'd be pissed too if someone asked about my hair but they do. All kinds of ppl especially immature ppl who like you and want you to like them, they try to break the ice to see how you react. Then again some ppl actually don't mean any harm and by your reaction you prolly made him realize he was out of line. i.e. the fact that you DID comb your hair prolly made him feel bad thinking you didn't you comb it and having the nerve to ask.

O well to each his own! Hate it or love it!

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: Girl, usually I have torrets of the brain and the mouth but this was the first time in a long time that I was straight dumbfounded! I think he apologized to cover his tail too because I didn't laugh and giggle over his joke.

i dont see what the big deal is, he just thought he could play with you like he does everyone else. i dont see the harm in it.

Yes, this is what he asked me. See he is "familiar" with most of the black folx in the office and they share in making jokes with each other. Actually, he jokes around with everyone and everyone jokes around with him. Except....me. I've only been with the company for like 8 mos and i don't know him that well.

Anyway, i go into the kitchen to get a snack and James (him) and I are the only two people in there. We have our backs to each other taking care of our individual needs. I'm staring at the snack machine when I hear a voice ask "Are you going to comb your hair today?". I don't stop what I'm doing and pretend that he isn't talking to me because i'm thinking did he just say that?

So, he says "Miss Bre, are you going to comb your hair today?". I turnaround and say with a smile "yes, I did comb my hair today" and walk out. I didn't do it in a joking around with him way, just a smile on my face even though inside i'm thinking wtf!!

A few hours later he came and apologized profusely for his "joke" saying he didn't mean to be offensive and that everyone here knows that i am the jokester, blah, blah, blah. I just accepted his apology because at this point I still didn't know what the heck to do. He probably thought I was going to go to HR.

oh gawd what a fool! totally inappropriate and you should go to HR

or at least he knows his jokes aint that friggin funny to you! and u dont play that! wth?

i dont see what the big deal is, he just thought he could play with you like he does everyone else. i dont see the harm in it.

Ummmm, the big deal is that I had my hair in a nappy style and he thought that he would take my buckwheatizm and make a joke about it. I'm not sure how else to get you to see the "joke"

Im glad you did. I hate it when folks want to joke around and some other folks just sit there and act like they dont mind. I am the same way. I dont like to personalize jokes about other people ilike that its too offensive. Like...."Can you get out of my personal space please?"

I dont like to personalize jokes about other people ilike that its too offensive.

EXACTLY! like when i tried Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In but i used too much and my hair took FOREVER to dry. my sis called me "Soul Glo" all day and we cracked up about it :lachen: but let somebody i'm not cool with say that... it'd be a fight! i'm all for joking with people, i love to joke and act silly but this was just over the line IMO...

I just chuckled because I could see myself saying something like that. :yep: You are good Bre. I would have set him straight on the spot and left him picking his face up off the floor. Q

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

OK, that was a LOT of nerve he had!!!

Christa438;4912419[B said:
]"Well are you going to take a bath today you mangy bastard?" that's what I mighta asked him. "please tell me are you gonna brush your teeth this week?"[/B]

:lachen::lachen:at the bold. Sorry I'd report his clear *** to HR for that statement. Ya'll ain't cool like that anyways.

OMG!....good one.... ROFLMAO!

Dang, he was hatin' on your beautiful natural hair.

I got a comment about my hair last year from my COO. I was telling him that it was my last day of work and that I was moving some place else. His response was, "They're gonna love your hair!"

Most people don't understand our hair, not even black people, which I think is sad.

Dang! I don't ever want to play the dozens with you. :lachen:

Report him to HR and get him fired. This is probably the only thing that will make you feel better since an apology didn't.

Back