While I was in the Salon Yesterday,

Nice & Wavy

and under the dryer, I was reading from Modernsalon magazine and found an interesting article:

"When should I "base" a client for a relaxer?

Carmine Minardi is a co-owner of Minardi Salon in NYC.

For very curly-haired Caucasian clients, Minardi prefers the effectiveness of Sodium Hydroxide relaxers over the more traditional thioglycolate formulations, and these are the clients for whom he adjusts his technique. But whether he chooses to base depends largely on the client's ethnicity.

"I've been using sodium hydroxide relaxers off-scalp, about a quarter of an inch away from the skin," he says. Why? He wants the hair to retain a minute lift at the scalp to prevent it from looking unnaturally flat.

On his African-American clients, Minardi gets closer to the scalp, and eight of an inch nearer. "These clients may be accustomed to having a relaxer done right to the scalp, for maximum benefit and flatness." "For them, it is essential that you base each and every part of the scalp."

So, it looks like he doesn't base the caucasian clients at all. What interested me is that it seems as though caucasian women gets more relaxers than we know. All the nice, flowing heads of hair may be just a Mizani, Affirm or Dark and Lovely relaxer...right out the jar.

Just thought I'd share this little tidbit.

and under the dryer, I was reading from Modernsalon magazine and found an interesting article:

"When should I "base" a client for a relaxer?

Carmine Minardi is a co-owner of Minardi Salon in NYC.

For very curly-haired Caucasian clients, Minardi prefers the effectiveness of Sodium Hydroxide relaxers over the more traditional thioglycolate formulations, and these are the clients for whom he adjusts his technique. But whether he chooses to base depends largely on the client's ethnicity.

"I've been using sodium hydroxide relaxers off-scalp, about a quarter of an inch away from the skin," he says. Why? He wants the hair to retain a minute lift at the scalp to prevent it from looking unnaturally flat.

On his African-American clients, Minardi gets closer to the scalp, and eight of an inch nearer. "These clients may be accustomed to having a relaxer done right to the scalp, for maximum benefit and flatness." "For them, it is essential that you base each and every part of the scalp."

So, it looks like he doesn't base the caucasian clients at all. What interested me is that it seems as though caucasian women gets more relaxers than we know. All the nice, flowing heads of hair may be just a Mizani, Affirm or Dark and Lovely relaxer...right out the jar.

Just thought I'd share this little tidbit.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:That's like an oxymoron...too funny...very interesting...

Lots of white women relax their hair.

As far as basing the scalp... I NEVER base my scalp or anyone's scalp when I use Profectiv. They never even mention it, and frankly, it isnt needed. When I used to use Soft and Beautiful (Regular AND Botanicals) several years ago, I always based. The directions said so, but I dont really know if it was needed.

Lots of white women relax their hair.

As far as basing the scalp... I NEVER base my scalp or anyone's scalp when I use Profectiv. They never even mention it, and frankly, it isnt needed. When I used to use Soft and Beautiful (Regular AND Botanicals) several years ago, I always based. The directions said so, but I dont really know if it was needed.

I didn't know that they did. I know they get permanants for curls/waves but not relax, so that peaked my interest.

When I relaxed, I always based my scalp but never put the relaxer on my scalp and I never had a problem with flakes or anything. I've always wondered though if it is needed at all.

Back