Which heating method is more effective for DCs?

Which heating method is more effective for DCs?

• Total voters

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I have a dome dryer, and heating cap. I have been hearing so much about steamers for Deep Conditioners. Which one in your opinion is more effective for DC? I'm on my own personal challenge of using indirect heat for every DCs. Please answer the poll. Thanks

I have a steamer and a hooded dryer so I always steam my hair after applying conditioner, the hooded dryer does the same thing in different way, but i feel like the steamer was meant for this and the hooded dryer wasn't, so I use the steamer for DC's and the hooded dryer for roller sets.

I have a steamer and a hooded dryer so I always steam my hair after applying conditioner, the hooded dryer does the same thing in different way, but i feel like the steamer was meant for this and the hooded dryer wasn't, so I use the steamer for DC's and the hooded dryer for roller sets.

:yep: I feel the same exact way... although I don't do wet roller sets at home now that I'm natural and can't make them look right. :nono:

I love my dome dryer. I make sure that my hair is VERY wet and VERY saturated with deep conditioner and oils before I baggy or saran wrap my hair and sit under. I also run the dryer on HIGH. I have found that when I baggy, it acts as a steamer to the point that I have to be careful of my forehead getting too hot from the steam that is created under the baggy. I refuse to spend that much on a steamer when my hooded dryer creates the same effect.

Hope that is helpful!

I was so 'Torn' in my Decision between Da' Steama and the Heat Cap. At times, I feel I need different things. For example, today, I chose to DC with the Heat Cap. Last week I used Steam.:look:

Sometimes I feel I need Steam which emits moisture into the conditioner like a Clothes Iron set on 'Steam.' The Heat Cap provides somewhat of an intense baking heat. Both are entirely different than the Hooded Dryer, which IMO is NO Comparison.:nono:

If possible, I think both items are equally worth their weight in Gold and should become part of your Hair Care Tools/Equipment if your budget/space permits.

Put it this way, if either one went out, I'd be trying my best to replace them.:yep:

IMO I think they both serve a valuable purpose.

I love my dome dryer. I make sure that my hair is VERY wet and VERY saturated with deep conditioner and oils before I baggy or saran wrap my hair and sit under. I also run the dryer on HIGH. I have found that when I baggy, it acts as a steamer to the point that I have to be careful of my forehead getting too hot from the steam that is created under the baggy. I refuse to spend that much on a steamer when my hooded dryer creates the same effect.

Hope that is helpful!

Wait a minute Diva, how do you recreate your own steamer with a hooded dryer? What is baggying? Pray do tell! I wanna try this!

i have a cap and it works great granted i stay under for 45 minutes

IA: The Heat Cap gives you a Great DC Treatment w/Heat. If Space or Finances are a 'concern' the Heat Cap would definitely be the way to go.:yep: Feels Great!

I still feel both the Steamer and the Heat Cap gives totally different results, than being under a Hooded Dryer:look: (unless you have a specific technique).

Steamer or Heating Cap definitely.

I personally prefer to "steam" DC after I henna. My hair seems
to retain much more moisture that way. :yep:

Steam quite simply as steamers are actually designed for this purpose, to infuse moisture into the hair. It's something you need to experience to appreciate the value of it.

It's not one of your options, but a steamer hands down. I have all three, steamer, heating cap, hair dryer. My hair is more moisturized when I use my steamer. So much so that the other two options are obsolete as far as deep conditioning goes.

Wait a minute Diva, how do you recreate your own steamer with a hooded dryer? What is baggying? Pray do tell! I wanna try this!

I PM'd you before I saw this.

Baggying for me is just using a baggy (think old school jheri curls or shower caps, the see-through kind) to cover my wet, conditioner-drenched head. I think my PM will explain it even more. :yep:

well I use the Hooded Dryer Dome as well. I also use the Self Heating caps for a few hours and My hair feels awesome afterwards so I am with those too, I'd love a Steamer, but I can't rationalize spending that money right now! I consider myself a big spender, but I rationalize that in my brain, "girl you need to get this you need it, buy it buy it" until I can say this NOPE! Maybe I need to come over you gals houses and use it one time! :D

My hair loves DC with steam. I have soft, more manageable (sp?) hair after every treatment and I also find that I don't need to use as much product when I style.

I see I'm one of two who voted for body heat :look:. I hate the way my hair feels after DC'ing under my hooded dryer, so I never use that method.

The best way for me is to slap on conditioner and wrap my head with saran wrap, then cover with a plastic cap or scarf. From there, I will either leave my hair wrapped or better yet do some cardio while my head is wrapped.

The steamer has made the most dramatic difference in my hair's moisture levels. My conditioners penetrate better, my hair is smoother, no tangles...it's really done me a world of good.

I will never be without my steamer.

I used the homemade steam treatments prior to purchasing a Mastex heat cap. For me, both are superior to using body heat alone. And because the heat cap sustains heat for as long as you need it, I prefer it to doing the homemade steam treatments. I can only imagine what lusciousness a hair steamer can create. :lick:

My Gold n' Hot heat cap hasn't failed me in 8 years, so know need for me to disown it yet.

My option isn't available. I put on a plastic cap and then use my soft bonnet dryer to heat. It's a million times better than body heat, but I haven't tried any of the other options so I can't compare.

Last edited:
I see I'm one of two who voted for body heat :look:. I hate the way my hair feels after DC'ing under my hooded dryer, so I never use that method.

The best way for me is to slap on conditioner and wrap my head with saran wrap, then cover with a plastic cap or scarf. From there, I will either leave my hair wrapped or better yet do some cardio while my head is wrapped.

This is what I have been doing for years. I don't really have the TIME to sit immobile under my hooded dryer while I DC. I have little kids running around trying to tear my house to shreds... I need to be able to leap into action at any second :superman: lol

So I have been mostly pre-pooing with a deep conditioner, sometimes mixed with things like EVOO or honey. I let my body heat warm it up, and then when I take my regular shower, rinse it out.

Now that I have my Mastex heating cap :woot: I'll be using that to DC while I'm reading books to the kiddoes or doing whatever seated task, but I won't be tied down to my hooded dryer any more.

I just can't justify the expense of a steamer. :nono: More power to you ladies who have them, but I'm too cheap to part with the money!

My option isn't available. I put on a plastic cap and then use my soft bonnet dryer to heat. It's a million times better than body heat, but I haven't tried any of the other options so I can't compare.

^^ I second that motion...I do wanna try the homemade steam technique when I DC however my soft bonnet and plastic cap work just fine for me.. I do admit tho..Sometimes I turn my shower on let the bathroom get real steamy and sit in there with a cap on :look:

The steamer is more effective for me, but the heating cap is just as good also, I just stay under it longer.

i chose heat cap, dont have to worry about hot air blowing down on you from a dryer.:grin: you can take it room to room and sleep with it on.

Back