Where to start

bigtina74

I've lurked on this site for a couple of years. I usually just check the entertainment forums because I get so utterly confused in the hair forum

I've decided to take better care of my hair, I'm not really worried about acheiving a length right now, I just want healthier hair.

I've tried to glean as much information as possible from the numerous threads, but my head is spinning.

SO I would appreciate someone telling me a good vitamin, shampoo and conditioner to start with and the absolute DO NOT's I should know about

I'm thinking that my hair is a 3c/4a type mix, but I'm not sure

I'm no master at all, and i'm still learning. But what I've gained from these forums is that you need to keep it simple and have the basics.

Shampoo: good shampoo that has no ingredients with 'con' at the end should do find. Somethings that's moisturizing as well.
Conditioner: You should have both deep moisture/protein conditioner and a basic $1 conditioner.
Moisturizer: Anything with a water base, or glycerin mix; and no mineral oil/petroleum/patrutum due to them causing build up.
Oil: To seal your ends with, use as prepoo, scalp massage, etc.
Vitamins: Hair,Skin, and Nails vitamins are a big rave, or your usual multivitamin.

I think that's it, because like I said I'm pretty simple and that's all I think someone should need unless there's a specific problem occuring. HTH :D

I'm a newbie but one of the things I've learned is that it is okay to try a few things. Meaning if you chose a moisturizing shampoo and it doesn't do that then you need to move on. You gotta figure out what works for your hair. A simple regi is great bc I know for me if its too complicated or requires too much time I won't do it.

I've lurked on this site for a couple of years. I usually just check the entertainment forums because I get so utterly confused in the hair forum

I've decided to take better care of my hair, I'm not really worried about acheiving a length right now, I just want healthier hair.

I've tried to glean as much information as possible from the numerous threads, but my head is spinning.

SO I would appreciate someone telling me a good vitamin, shampoo and conditioner to start with and the absolute DO NOT's I should know about

I'm thinking that my hair is a 3c/4a type mix, but I'm not sure

are you relaxed or natural?

vitamin: i try to get the most nutrition possible from the foods i eat and exercise and water. i eat a high protein diet and it aids greatly in hair growth/health. i take Biotin and a multivitamin in addition. there are some vitamin gurus here that can help you with this in more detail though.

shampoo: i would start off with a sulfate-free shampoo. sulfates are harsh detergents that "strip" your hair of its natural oils. once you get a regimen down-pat, you can experiment with other shampoos. my favorites are:

Cream of Nature Detangling/Conditioning Shampoo (green writing/beige bottle) Sally's/beauty supply store
Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Balanced Moisturizing Shampoo Trader Joe's
BioInfusion Naturals Rosemary Mint Shampoo drug store

conditioner: depending on your hair, you will have differing needs for protein and moisture. here is what i like.

moisturizing
Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Balanced Moisturizing Conditioner Trader Joe's
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner health food stores/Vitamin Shoppe
Keracare Humecto Ulta/JCPenney's/some bss

protein
Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Pack Target/Sally's/Walmart
Joico K-Pak Conditioner Ulta/mall salons/bss
Redken Extreme Conditioner Ulta/mall salons/bss

Dos and Don'ts would be easier to prescribe with your relaxed/natural status.

Hope this is a start for you!

Ok thanks yall

So I went and got some vitamins, some Shampoo and conditoiner and some oils

My hair would have been down my back if I took better care of it. It's about shoulder length now, but at this stage, it gets really frizzy and the ends look terrible, I usually wind up grabbing my scissors and cutting away the offending ends, and throwing it back in a ponytail or under a half-wig

I will put the scissors down and let it grow, pray for me yall

The best advice I have found on this site is about taking care of highlighted hair. I wish I could remember the poster's name so that I could give her the props she deserves. I know use BOTH a protein conditioner followed by a moisturizing conditioner. My hair has never looked better! I am still searching for a daily moisturizer though. I do like Frederic Fekkai's Glossing Creme, but I like to switch things up a bit. The Biotin is also workign for me!

Last edited:
Some of the best advice I found here and starting using immediately was moisturizing and sealing ends. That technique alone has prevented me from needing a trim since May 30.

I've been researching the site for DAYS and still have no clue as to what to seal my hair with, or when or why, still researching

I've been researching the site for DAYS and still have no clue as to what to seal my hair with, or when or why, still researching

You'll have to tell us whether you're natural or relaxed. Are you doing anything to your hair right now? Braids, rollersets, relaxers, wash n' go...

For me its just easier to keep it simple. I only use shampoo once a month. I wet my hair every day and add lots of Suave conditioner to it, then detangle. I never detangle my hair when dry. I usually will put my hair in a ponytail and put some Eco Styler on the ends to prevent frizz. I rollerset, then flatiron every 4-5 weeks for the straight look. I deep condition with Dominican products at least 1-2x a week. At night I put my hair in a braided ponytail. Since I'm natural those things work for me. When I had relaxed hair I would take care of my hair differently.

HTH

Yes I agree with the posters that said that you have to let us know whether you're relaxed or natural. Haircare is haircare- but there are some suggestions that are MUSTS for relaxed heads that are MUST NOTS for us natural heads.

Sorry for the delay ya'll

I'm relaxed. I usually relax my hair every 6 months or so. I got some jay shampoo and gpb conditioner, I also bought some coconut oil to seal my ends with and now I'm just looking for a good water based moisturizer.

I'm fighting the urge to cut my hair again. In the summer, I just wet it and go and it stays curly throughout the day eventually getting bigger and bigger. But now that it's getting cold, I can't do that anymore and it looks like a hot mess when I try to straighten it, the ends feel particularly crunchy

Thanking everyone who offers suggestions and encouragement!!!

Back