Where Am I Going Wrong? (Pic) HELP!

Extremus

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong with wrapping my hair? :perplexed
I've followed Missi's and Machemouir [i'm sorry hunny, if I spelled ur name wrong] video tutorials, which I thought were very helpful, and my hair looks like this .........

P1000596.jpg

See how it's [somewhat] flat one side and puffy on the other. This is how it always come out whenever I'm wrapping my hair. I always have to flat-iron the puffy side and I'm suppose to be cutting down on the heat. :ohwell:

Thanks in advance!

how far along are you since ur last relaxer, because i've found that the further along you are (10 weeks post) the harder it is for you to get that look....it usually only worked for me when my i did not have lots of new growth
hth

how far along are you since ur last relaxer, because i've found that the further along you are (10 weeks post) the harder it is for you to get that look....it usually only worked for me when my i did not have lots of new growth
hth

10 weeks :look:

What products did you use? It looks to me like your hair may have had too many products put on it??

What products did you use? It looks to me like your hair may have had too many products put on it??

I think I did use a lot of products :look:

i washed and DC'd, then blow dryed with a heat protectant before putting in theses products

I used:
suave professional color care conditioner as a leave-in
EVOO
sta-sof-fro (NG)
WGO or castor oil on the the ends

I finally figured out a couple of months ago that my hair isn't supposed to wrap. It's super thick, even while relaxed, and it rarely worked out right, unless I had a fresh relaxer.

And even then I don't like that flat look :ohwell:

I don't have much good to say about wrapping. When I wear my hair down, it's a rollerset. And to wear it down for the next couple of days, I finger comb it towards the back, and use 6 medium sized rollers to roller my hair (2 for bottom, 2 for middle, 2 for top).

I put on a sleeping bonnet that's made like a pillowcase. Wake up the next morning and BAM! It's like a fresh rollerset.

Hope that helps.

I think I did use a lot of products :look:

i washed and DC'd, then blow dryed with a heat protectant before putting in theses products

I used:
suave professional color care conditioner as a leave-in
EVOO
sta-sof-fro (NG)
WGO or castor oil on the the ends

That's why girlie!! When you rollerset, you really shouldn't use a lot of product. If you deep condition with a hydrating conditioner, all you really need is to spray some distilled water on your hair before you roll it up and maybe a very very small amount of serum.

When I used to rollerset, I would deep condition with LUST and just use distilled water and serum ... my hair would come out very light, which is what you what. If you like the suave conditioner, try putting a small amount of that in a spray bottle of distilled water and that's it. I bet you will like the results much better. But just make sure that the suave conditioner is hydrating otherwise, the rollerset may come out stiff.

Also, make sure that your rollerset is completely dry before you remove the rollers and wrap it. Otherwise, it won't have movement.

Trust me, I am the queen of jacked-up rollersets. These tips are what worked for me. Once I get my Pibbs, I am going start rollersetting again. Also, I can't wrap for nothing so I just do a crosswrap with the saran wrap. If you are having a hard time wrapping, try doing a crosswrap.

IMO its the wrapping that is causing this. I bet the side that you wrap towards the back is flat and the side you pull around to the front is puffy.

When you go against your natural growth pattern (whick can be varied) your hair :stands up" more. you can see this especially if you have new growth.

Try wrapping the opposite way. Or rotate

Hello E_Williams:

HTH..

1. Make sure you roller thin sections of hair, this helps with drying and ensures the hair gets straight...please don't skimp or skip this step..get more rollers if you have to but make sure those sections of hair are thin, because it makes the drying process quicker and results in straighter hair.

2. Keep the ends wet--VERY CRUCIAL--not damp but wet--especially with magnetics.

3. Go light on the product. I use a creamy leave in and waterdown Motions or Keracare wrap mousse(Ratio of 8:1)..If you have thick hair and new growth, you won't need alot of setting lotion for "body"..

4. Try getting the largest rollers you can--it saves time, hair and makes the wrap smoother--again your goal is straightness, smaller rollers give the hair too much body and may lead to frizziness.

5. Last but not least make sure the rollerset is completely dry.

Last edited:
My hair is thick so it always comes out a little thicker on one side. When I take the wrap down, I finger comb it into place, add a light moisturizer, smooth w/ a brush, THEN take a silk scarf and tie down the top part of my head. This way my hair turns out flat and straight w/o losing the bump on the ends, it still has bounce and body too. BTW, are you still wet wrapping your hair? That caused mad breakage growing up, that's why I stopped doing it. I hope this helps you.

My hair is thick so it always comes out a little thicker on one side. When I take the wrap down, I finger comb it into place, add a light moisturizer, smooth w/ a brush, THEN take a silk scarf and tie down the top part of my head. This way my hair turns out flat and straight w/o losing the bump on the ends, it still has bounce and body too. BTW, are you still wet wrapping your hair? That caused mad breakage growing up, that's why I stopped doing it. I hope this helps you.

:nono: that's why i stopped

Back